1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

drift track build thread.

Discussion in 'Drift Cars' started by chaseloc101, Aug 11, 2012.

1. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Thats one thing we discussed. I have alot of board left over and is bendy. Would make perfect for guard wall. We will be doing this guard wall on the over pass too. But its only gonna be about a foot from the ground. 
  2. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

This will be the last update on the track build until its complete. We were testing it out . Working out the kinks making sure its smooth still few spots need work, but pretty much there. But after a few parctice laps it really is a dream to drift.  Just some color and tape race boarder around the turf and good to on to next level.

[youtube]jrZbbl3rHO4&feature=plcp[/youtube]
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

Bummer.  I think you are doing a great job.
  4. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

I figured since it almost done. There's no real need to keep updates about some of the fishing touches. I didnt think people would really care till its done. There will be videos later on, and will post news with the overpass.But i want to hurry up and dress up the course. U guys prob dont want to see how i stain it and add guard rails. Pretty simple stuff.
  5. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Laid out some wood putty today. Need to get more. Kinda lost my pace and most of it dried before i could use it. Oops  :eek: . Gonna go look to get some stain and hopefully can get that done today. Ill put up some pictures after it dries and lay the turf back down.
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Are you going to get guard railing for the sides?  I saw a car fall off in one of your videos.
  7. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

yes.. i'll be redoing the guard rails, which can be seen in the first two photos of this thread. they do stop you from falling of and don't mess up the drift to bad if you do graze it. would like to find highway dividers, to add to the track, and give us the option to change the course once in awhile.
  8. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

so i know i said i wasn't going to post anymore updates till it was complete, but im taking that back, doesnt make sense to have a build thread if i'm not going to step it out....

so here are a few more pictures. have problem areas fixed, and the road is stain and set. to make sure this cures all the way, im going to leave blank until tomorrow. in morning i will get the out side turf set, with tape for boarder, gonna leave off red rumble strip, because i want to go more street design. then figure were the best spots would be for the infield turf. guard rails will be next...
    please let me know what u think or if you have any ideas that go along with this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ithink its really turning out
  9. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

the vinyl there u see was a test strip on the idea of covering wood to make a smooth track, turned out to be to grippy.. but might use if we have a steep up hill, coming up from the yard to the deck, have ideas to travel from the course to the putting green and back, make more hilly. lol
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

Your track is looking really good.  Nice choice of road color.
  11. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Lol thanks there was alot of different greys. This is pewter. From home depot. They mixed it really well i was half expecting it to be  a little more transparent. But went on just like paint. Tomorrow it will have a whole other face.
  12. joebollinger35

joebollinger35 Registered

lookin sick bro!ill be over thursday to check it out!cant wait to put my car on it!! we will put our heads together and figure out the best lay
  13. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Forsure. We need to figure out an over pass too. I wanna do an over under kinda thing. But want to make sure it doesnt get in the way.
  14. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

got some turf and tape layed down, starting to come to life.

[​IMG]

leaving some of the rest for when joe gets here tomorrow, but i think its lookin sharp...

[​IMG]
  15. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Just thought x mas white lights for street lights,  night drift.
  16. joebollinger35

joebollinger35 Registered

the xmas lites are a good idea.would clear ones work better than white? give off a brighter lite,or maye those tube lites?
  17. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

I was thinking solar lights using old rc tires and cement to make portable light at a scale point. Thats what made me think off x mas lights. And how i would hang them? Cant have going across and close line my kid.  :eek:
  18. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

So nothing new today. Joe and I tested it out today. And it seems the waterproofing agent is making it grip up. Was wondering if any idea what kinda of coating we can use to give us more of a slick surface. We were thinking some kinda clear coat. Any idea would be much appreciated..
  19. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

Might look into an epoxy paint? We used to use  it a lot at work and it is slick as hell by itself with no additives. We would mix in color and texture additives to suit the customers wants like slip resistance and aesthetics. Its super durable and lasts for years without fading or chipping. Also your current covering may not be 100% cured yet causing some softness. What was it you painted over the board? If in the end you cant get your surface how you want maybe tune the tires to just work with what you have. I had machined some custom solid delrin slick pucks  for my drifter that were actually too slick to use almost anywhere. I could drift on ragged blacktop with them....... [size=8pt]just dont try jumping with them[/size] ::)
  20. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

hmmmm floor wax and a buffer ;)