1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

X-Mas is coming, need rock crawler

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by Pelagic Pilot, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

So I need a either a rock crawler or a 4x4 something for my 7 year old son. It needs to be basic and not very fast he is new to all this. I was looking at this:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0222

Which looks cool, but too much money for him. I don't know if he will even be interested. Is there something in the $100-$125 range that has a rechargable battery? Don't want any AA battery junk. It needs to have everything ready to go unless there is a such a thing as a BND (bind and drive) to my DX6i?
  2. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Don't know how a kid could NOT be interested in that! But yes, that's a lot of $$$. If you're looking for new, there's a lot to choose from, but with high quality comes a higher price. If used is an option, there are several to choose for within a reasonable budget. Goldhellian89 has a Losi for sale in the Wanted section on this forum for $150. You could tune it down and make it slower for your son to learn on, then hop it back up when he's ready. Also, if you have something specific in mind, GPS and I can keep our eyes open at next Saturday's swap meet in Roseburg ;)
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

Did you look at this?  The price looks pretty good at least.

http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?topic=269.0
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Thanks GPS, but I think I have settled on this for the time being:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0238

I really want the 4 wheel drive with good ground clearance and good articulation. This looks good in the videos anyway  :) And although still a bit higher than I would like, what the heck! you only live once!

I might still spring for a micro coaxial helicopter for his birthday (or is that for me?)
  5. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

The Losi 1/18 you first posted is a good crawler for a kid for sure. The rtr is a little spendy and lacking in features though. If you spend wisely you can build a pro roller up for the same cost and have a crazy capable truck. The micro platform the Trekker is built off of is not a very kid friendly model. Every kid I have seen with them have broken them pretty quick(mine included ;D). Parts are pretty cheap but you replace them a lot so it starts to add up. The little chargers that come with them don't work very well or long and you go through a ton of aa unless you us a standard charger on the battery. Most younger people are pretty bored by the lack of speed in them also. I have ended up with a couple now from buddies that buy them for their kids and they become bored with it after a couple weeks and bring it to me broken and trade it for something else. I love the little guys myself and who knows your little guy might also. I have built a couple pretty cool scalers out of them in the past. If you are looking to not spend a ton and get something your kid will have some fun with and have a little capability I would look into one of the madstone 1/16 crawlers. They are a copy of the first losi you posted but at a fraction of the price. For the price you pay the little things are great for the kids. Not saying they dont break also but they seem to hold up to the silly things kids do sometimes a little better.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c871-maxstone16-green-24ghz.html

My last losi micro scale beside its 1/10 brother

[​IMG]
  6. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Thanks for the info, that does look like a cool truck, but after some research it seems like a lot of people were not that happy with it? So I guess I am torn again between what to buy. But I am back to considering the first big Losi I posted even though it is reeeeaaalllly expensive......
  7. smitty

smitty Registered

8. Golden Child

9. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Hmmm, did not know that one existed, I will look into this. Thanks.
  10. crawlerbubba

crawlerbubba Registered

the losi mini rock crawler comes in a bind n drive version for around a hundy i believe....
  11. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Just ordered the Rockslide RS-10, it should be here next week, coming from Arizona  8)
  12. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Be careful with Redcat stuff, parts a PITA and there not the best made product.
  13. Golden Child

Certainly the Rockslide isn't a top-of-the-line crawler, but for the price, mine has been delivering non-stop fun since I purchased it. It does have some very simple mods (digital-MG servos, Axial bent lower links for more clearance, 3800MAH battery for more than 45 minutes run time!!!, and a couple others that really weren't neccesary for my level of crawling - custom shocks and memory foam in the tires). Overall, it has definitely performed above my expectations :D No failures, no broken parts, very durable. My only complaint is that I can't program my DX3s Tx to work the four-wheel steering. I took it up to Smitty's swap meet in Roseburg and everyone was amazed at how nimble and capable it was for such a low dollar investment ;) The motors it comes with are 70-turn so full speed is just a bit faster than a walking pace. As far as I know (I bought mine second-hand) my motors/ESC/gearing are stock and they perform great!
  14. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

The price point is what I was after, it's for my son who has never had anything RC before and won't benefit from top of the line stuff. Plus it will not really be used as a crawler, but a slow easy to operate and not be frustrating for a 7 year old. I bet it will be only used on the carpet in the living room for the first 6 months. We will set up a wireless FPV on the living room TV so it can be driven into the kitchen while sitting on the couch :) hopefully a sandwhich will come back with it.
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

You forgot to say SUDO make me a sandwich.
  16. crawlerbubba

crawlerbubba Registered

Sounds great.you dont havta spend a thousand bucks to have fun...that sammich deal sounds good...good luck,and happy crawlin'!