1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to go from here

Discussion in 'Off Road' started by BigJoe, Nov 19, 2011.

1. BigJoe

BigJoe Registered

So, i bought a new Rustler brushless and am very happy with it. I still want to think stadium trucks are not completely phased out....

Yeah anyway I already want something else. Something different. I plan on racing whenever racing season starts around here. So I don't want to destroy the Rustler.

I like to bash, but I really think I'd like to crawl as well. Funding is somewhat limited at the moment, but I could make a stretch for the right deal.

Let's just say I'm new to the hobby. Should I go with nitro or stay with electric? I've been cautioned to go with LiPo because my young children will be enjoying the hobby with me as well and apparently there's some sort of issue with them catching on fire?? So I'm fine, for now with NiMh. What's the cost involved for running nitro every weekend?

I've been watching youtube and the guys with the Savages look like they're having way too much fun. But on the other hand, I grew up with low-speed four wheeling and I think it would be fun to have a crawler.

For the next couple of years, I won't be buying any other rigs. I would like to take advantage of my current monetary situation and buy something of decent quality, but not be fixing every weekend. I don't plan on upgrading like crazy. Fix it when it breaks.

It seems there are some great deals on Craigslist right now, but I'm just not sure the direction I want to take. I've been researching like crazy trying to figure out what upgrades do what to which car, cost, and etc.

What do you guys think? Anyone out there that is or was in my general situation? Any direction, or questions I need to ask myself would be greatly appreciated. Car considerations? Used is ok with me, I found a lot of help online for buying used cars.

Sorry for the novel!

-Joe
  2. smitty

smitty Registered

Hi Joe,
    40+ years ago, I was into slot cars.
    Last year I purchased a Traxxas Slash 4x4 (TRA6808).
    So, I'm really new to this generation of the hobby.

I chose the Slash 4x4 for the following reasons:
    • Electric power - quieter, cleaner and easier
    • Waterproof - if the water can't get in, neither will the dirt.
    • Ready to Run - came with everything needed including battery and charger
    • 2.4ghz Radio - no crystals to deal with and no crossed transmissions
    • Almost everyone carries parts - stock parts arn't too expensive
    • 1/10 scale Short Course Truck - modeled after the TORC series full size trucks
    • 4WD - where I run the surface is loose
    Beware the hobby addiction.
    I gave my brother-in-law grief about how he has collected nearly two dozen aircraft in just the 2 years he's been in the hobby.
    And now, (after the recent swap meet) I have 2 - 4x4's, 2 - 2wd's, 1 - crawler (basket case), 1 - nano size Helicopter and 1 - TriCopter (project) on my workbench.
  3. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

For bashing, high and low speed, cheep fun-take a look a Traxxas 1/16 brushless E-REVO and Summit VXL's-there is also a 1/16 slash (I haven't seen in person).You can run one or two Batterys,they are LIPO compatable,the vehicles are somewhat waterproof ( not the radio though),they are 4wd and have optional center diff's.,parts are pretty cheap,and available at most hobby shops.I let a 9 year old run mine w/ no worries,and have put 1/10 scale wheels and sand paddles on it and ran it in the sand too. LIPO's are cheap,and run times are crazy-You can find them used , in good condition, for around $160.00 to $225.00...did I say they were fast too-they are fast :)...I love the hunt!=happy hunting!  8)
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

I think if you want to race you will get the most mileage from a electric 4WD Short Course truck.  These are raced a lot and have good handling characteristics.  There is also some great trucks to choose from like the Traxxas Slash 4x4, the Team Associated SC10 4x4 and my favorite the OFNA Hyper 10SC.  The Slash and Team Associated SC10 have terrific third party aftermarket parts available for just about anything you could want to hop-up.

I think you will also do better to go with electric, especially if you want to do any after work running around your back yard or neighborhood streets because they are quiet and won't give anyone cause to complain.

Regarding the LiPo matter, I suppose nowadays you are almost as likely to have a fire with a nitro rig and/or fuel as you are with a LiPo battery.  Sure there are a lot of horror stories out there, but read this forum and what experiences our members have with LiPo and you will find out that you have to almost abuse a LiPo to get it to catch fire.  However if you are nervous about LiPo you can use NIMH batteries and get some excellent results.

If you are also interested i crawling I would advise you to get a second model specifically for crawling and stay away from hybrid products like the Traxxas Summit, although if budget does not allow one to have a dedicated crawler and race vehicle a Traxxas Summit is a great truck.  We own one and it is a lot of fun.  We have some guys on this forum who have been crawling for a long time and have some amazing trucks.  Check out the crawler forum and see some of their trucks and chat with them for some good advise and tips.
  5. BigJoe

BigJoe Registered

I purposely did not buy a Slash or STC. I had the funding and availability. It's just not my style. Maybe in the future, but for now I like and purposely purchased a stadium truck.

New question. In my research, the Wheely King stands out as a do-all truck. Some minor mods, and you have either a crawler, or a basher. What do ya'll think about this?

Maybe an Axial Wraith would fit the bill, although a bit pricey initially for my budget.

I don't want a summit. I've seen some cool vids, but once again, not my style. I do like crawlers for the ability to stay in your house and play. Not have to worry about going somewhere. I'm not afraid to make my own mods either. I figure I'll waterproof the hell out of everything so i can run in mud and water.

Thanks for all the responses so far by the way. Great, useful info. Keep em comin.
  6. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

Big Joe: any consideration twards a truggy?
  7. BigJoe

BigJoe Registered

Although I've heard talk of those, I don't know what they actually are. I have not even googled it yet! So.....maybe?
  8. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

An example of a truggy would be the Ofna Hyper 10TT 4x4 EP. Pic and link to specs is below. A very capable platform, combining the speed and handling of a short course style or buggy, with the higher ground clearance (but without so much of the higher center of gravity!) of a bigger monster style truck.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAGUJ&P=ML

Attached Files:

9. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

................like a 4wd stadium truck on steroids :eek:-----please research (2.4GHz radios) in RTR's,they run off of 4 batts,instead of 8,and don't glitch like the old stuff-They are pretty much the standard now-and do so much more,for the same coin.=happy hunting.  :D-------------------------no input on the wheely king,other than I think you can do better, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

11. GPS

GPS Registered

Found this also:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIxQXeP9As[/youtube]
  12. crawlerbubba

crawlerbubba Registered

You get a lotfor your coin with a wraith.out of the box they haul ballz and crawl descent.change to a 12 tooth pinion and they crawl goodloose a lil top end but not enough to worry bout.they look sik.are durable.have great aftermarket support.and the skys the limmit on custmizeation..in my opinion..
  13. yotapane

yotapane Registered

Wraiths are badass, get a wraith, get the aluminum knuckles,C'S and steering links and its unbeatable, very solid out of the box and pretty fast, def gear it down a bit for an all around crawler/jumper/basher.....anything axial  is a solid rig even the rtrs have good electronics and are very durable.[​IMG]
  14. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

If you are looking at a truggy a 1/10th scale is a bad example in my opinion.  I would go Losi or Mugen for that, Look at this one.  http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0085
  15. BigJoe

BigJoe Registered

I think we got off topic here. I think I'm after a 4x4 monster truck. Whether it's nitro or elec.  But thanks for all the truggy info, I'll keep it in mind
  16. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

BigJoe= sorry,it was the coffee talking :)...it makes me want 2 of everything..."'nother coffee please  ;D "
  17. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

I've got a fairly nice Revo 3.3 which falls into the monster truck category that I will either sell or trade off.  Comes with enough spares to keep it going for a while also.
  18. BigJoe

BigJoe Registered

I'll keep it in mind. Don't wait for me if you get any offers. 
  19. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Not waiting for anyone, it's literally just sitting next to me in my office doing nothing, not in need to sell it but your welcome to make offers.