1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

When to use 1.9 and 2.2 crawler tires and wheels

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by GPS, Mar 25, 2013.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

I think this was discussed previously but I couldn't remember.

When do you use 1.9 inch tires and wheels and when do you use 2.2 tires and wheels?

To confuse the matter further, after reading Highlandcrawlers post on tires in another thread I went to rc4wd and saw they have 1.7 inch, 1.55 inch also.  What gives?
  2. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

? I personally like my 1.9 for a scale size. Were Richard is running 2.2 which really look better with a bronco body. I think its mostly preference. . ?...
  3. AK BIGFOOT

AK BIGFOOT Registered

I had 2.2's on my Rubicon, then to get my son a wraith i had to give those away in a trade, so now i got 1.9s and to tell you the truth i like the 1.9s better. They are more scale look and i can go over just as much as i could with those 2.2's.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

I did notice that some of the Axial kits come with 1.9 wheels but some of you were running 2.2.  I guess it's about the scale look.  So what's with the 1.7 and 1.55 inch tires and wheels on rc4wd?
  5. AK BIGFOOT

AK BIGFOOT Registered

I think those smaller tires are for the rc4wd trailfinder. You go any smaller tires like those 1.5 and 1.7 and you might not be a able go over stuff like we did out at stringer gap.
  6. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

Luke nailed it pretty well. It's about the looks and performance you are after. Most real off road vehicles run between a 15-17 inch wheel so scale it down to get the same look you run smaller wheels like 1.5-1.9. Just because it is 1.9 that does not dictate tire size though. There are 1.5 tires up to 5" tall and 2.2 tires as small as 3 3/4". 1.7 wheels are very rare still and only a couple wheel and tire options. You can run whatever fits on a rig and makes you happy but it drastically changes the look depending on choice. It boils down to the look you want to portray. Do you like he look of hardcore trail oriented vehicles (1.5 and 1.9) or the look of a mall crawler on "dubs" 2.2s. There are very few scale bodies out there that look right with 2.2 wheels on them. Wraith axles are very wide and made for bigger builds and a vehicle with a larger overall size. So 2.2 wheels on them is a correct scale look. Most people don't realize their tire and wheel choice on a scaler is a huge aspect of the overall look of a vehicle. You can have the most scale looking body and frame with a ton of scale goodie all over but the wrong wheel and tire choice can make it just look like a cartoon monster truck or a "roller skate" for those who still understand the term ;D. I'm a purest so I have a strong opinion on the subject. Match your tire and wheel to the size of the wheel opening. If you have to start doing drastic things or cutting your body away you probably have to large of a tire wheel combo. So in closing 1/10 scale trail and street trucks use a 1.5-1.9 wheel and leave the 2.2 for wraith and buggies.
  7. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

Just to be clear on tires also any open or hollow and pin tires are considered  a comp tire and scale tires have a realistic tread pattern resembling or duplicating a tire actually found on the street or trail. Most scale tires will be marketed as scale tires also. That's if you want to be technical about it. I understand to some a tire is just a black round thing and that's fine run whatever makes you happy. But for anyone curious there ya go.
  8. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

very well put i agree totally! I like my 2.2's i think they fit my bronco scale look but my tire design doesnt so im looking to get more scale looking tires!
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

Thank you all for the good info.
    I noticed that most of you are running Axial SCX10 based trucks, these look more like "scalers" to me than what we have which are a Axial AX10 and a Losi Night Crawler and a Comp Crawler.  It looks like the frames are totally different on our crawlers compared to the SCX10 based products so can any of these be made into a scaler, or do we need another truck?
  10. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

you could if you wanted to. but of course they wont look exactly scale. but its up to the builder on how scale the truck is.
  11. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

but if you want almost flawless scale rig id get another truck.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

I kind of thought that would be the situation.

I was looking at the four different SCX10 based Axial trucks:

- SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit = $330
    - 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon RTR = $380
    - Honcho 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD RTR = $355
    - Dingo 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Kit = $250

It looks like all these trucks are the same except for the bodies and a few higher quality parts on some.  The Dingo looks like the lowest cost to entry, am I right?
  13. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

the dingo has the shortest wheel base the honcho being second and the rubicon being the longest. i actually had a dingo kit and it wasnt bad. i liked it. but my buddy has a honcho and my dad has a rubicon. its all the same rig just different bodies and longer or shorter wheel bases. you just have to decide what kind of rig you want to go trail crawling with.
  14. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

and yes the dingo kit is the cheapest the kits all actually come wigth aluminum lower and steering links. and i believe beadlocks but im not sure. but its not rtr. im thinking of getting a wraith kit but imm still undecided.
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

I know in racing (fast) that a longer wheelbase helps with going straight, short wheelbase is better for cornering.  What do long and short wheelbases do for crawlers?
  16. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

umm i think a longer wheel base is good for corners but crawling my wraith high centers alot and the shorter wheel base sometimes can get top heavy but it all depnds on how you build your rig.
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

If I make a scaler I was thinking about using a Unimog body.  I saw one made by Tamiya on rc4wd.  Does anyone know if it would it fit on the Dingo?
  18. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

the unimog actually going on the cc01 if im correct. but im not sure. it very will might. it may not look perfect. but yeah i have no idea.
  19. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rcunimog&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=rcunimog&sc=8-8&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=8C7B046C13737099E6B7F37E677AF3D0C3B217FB&selectedIndex=23

i did find this tho.
  20. GPS

GPS Registered

Now that is nice!  What chassis is that?

Attached Files: