1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Cub!

Discussion in 'Floatplanes and Seaplanes' started by Golden Child, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

So I finally gave up on my PBY and bought a set of floats for my HobbyZone Super Cub LP. Before and after pics below. Hoping to get time for a maiden water flight this weekend, but very busy with family (Labor Day weekend), so we'll have to see...

Attached Files:

• 41_.jpg
      File size:
      61.6 KB
      Views:
    • 43_.jpg
      File size:
      55.8 KB
      Views:
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

That's pretty cool.  You replace the wheels with floats?  If I am seeing this right it's wingspan is a little more than a picnic table?  Is that made of foam?  Would you consider that a beginner plane?
  3. Golden Child

This is my Super Cub LP from HobbyZone (http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/hz/HBZ7300.html). It has a 47.7" wingspan (1200mm) and is considered by MOST to be the BEST beginner plane made. It is made from EPO foam so repairs are simple, easy, quick, and most importantly - inexpensive! As far as the floats go, yes, they simply replace the wheels and mount in the same position - SUPER EASY! You can get this plane and all parts, accessories, and hop-ups at Al's Hobby in Medford and at Mild-To-Wild Hobby House here in Grants Pass.
    I have made all the best upgrades to my Cub - brushless motor/ESC, larger landing gear (and now floats), 2.4Ghz radio system, aluminum wing struts, and lower angle-of-attack on the main wing as well as ailerons. This plane mods-up well and is a great one to start with and then upgrade as you go, finishing with an excellent flyer with lots of hands-on experience!
  4. Golden Child

Talked the other members of RVF to host another Float-Fly day at Lake Selmac! We'll be flying from campsite 41 in Heron Loop on the west side of the lake. See details in the calendar.
  5. Golden Child

Pic from Google Earth showing flight site...

Attached Files:

• 72_.jpg
      File size:
      102.5 KB
      Views:
  6. Golden Child

Tried to maiden the Water Cub but the floats are harder to control than I had thought. No rudder control on the floats themselves so I had to rely on the plane's rudder, which proved less than adequate to overcome the drag of the floats. Soooo, I'm going to be putting a rudder(s) on the floats. Not sure if I'm just going to make them stationary to keep the plane straight on take-offs and landings, or if I'm going to add a steering servo in the float(s) for taxiing.