1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

US Army breaking up with A160 Hummingbird drone-copter

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by GPS, Jun 26, 2012.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

2. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    [size=1.2em]Alas, Poor Yorick![/size]

For the military and their requirements for the Drone-heli's the military want/need fast, time to target, time on target with the ability to loiter (hover) w/ 'Stealth' and possibly the ability to carry a substantial or even modest pay-load for it's delivery options, defensive and possibly tactical weaponry and/or it's reconnaissance (eyes on target) packages ... Almost forgot, the BIRD also needs to be able to take teh HIT's so part of the platforms load carrying ability must inevitably include some (or allot) of 'Armour' and/or some more sophisticated 'defensive' packages

Currently I don't think there's a Multi-rotor airframe that can match or come near these requirements? As the news-story suggest, the reasoning for cancellation or what painted the bulls-eye of cancellation on the Drone-heli is nothing more than the Drones mechanical issues, the resulting COST overruns and of course the government budget cuts. And this is only mere speculation on my part but maybe they have a bird already in inventory that meet those needs? Although this does make for a question, is the military looking at any Multi-rotor birds currently or in development which is powered by [acronym=Aviation FUEL, gasoline]AVGAS[/acronym] or [acronym=Aviation Jet FUEL, naphtha-kerosene blend]Jet A or B[/acronym] which CAN meet ALL the requirements the Drone-Heli was (at least theoretically) capable of? I do agree maybe in the future there's a Multi-rotor aircraft WILL be able to meet the current military requirement and that will probably be sooner rather than later ...

[size=1.1em]Meh[/size], this is just opinion and questions! [size=1.1em]Yes[/size] I certainly am a [size=1.1em]HUGE[/size] Helicopter "[size=1.1em]Fanboy[/size]" but this [size=1.1em]POST[/size] is [size=1.1em]NOT[/size] a defense directed at Drone-helicopters or heli's in general! [size=1.1em]Yes[/size] I believe in: Whatever [size=1.1em]TOOL[/size][size=1.1em] GETS[/size] the [size=1.1em]JOB[/size] done is the [size=1.1em]BEST[/size] [size=1.1em]TOOL [/size]fur the [size=1.1em]J.o.B[/size]! And YES there's more question rather than statement behind this post ;) [size=1.1em]hehe[/size], and possibly more question behind ANY post I will write or have written but [size=1.1em]now[/size] I [size=0.9em]digress[/size] ...

[acronym=pwoodyp, EYE See! VOICE of the O·pin·ion·at·ed][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]

[hr]
  3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

The 160 has had problems from the start. A lot of them have crashed. But when they do fly they are increadable. That thing has some of the highest elevation power, longest range and duration out there. But when they end up in a black heap in a ditch somewhere it is not ideal.

As far as multirotor, well they have one working now, the KMAX, well offset coaxial anyway. But from what I have read the military wants everything to be heavy fuel, no av gas. I agree about the right tool for the job. Electric multi has tremendous value and will probably win out and be the most common. But I doubt traditional helis will ever go away. There wont be any electric aircraft that can pull 6,000 Lbs of cargo at a time for a 16 hour shift in our lifetime. The S64E can hover with a 25,000 Lbs payload for 2 hours straight. We are a long ways from achieving that with a lipo pack.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

I didn't mean to imply that the multirotors that replace helicopters will be powered by LiPo packs, although they might if further chemistry advances allow that.
    What I think will happen will be more like diesel-electric trains or turbine-electric generators where a gas, avgas or diesel fuel powered generator drives the electric motors.  This way you will be able to meet the endurance requirements and then by scaling the motor/propeller size and or quantity also achieve the weight lifting requirements. 

The simplicity of the mechanics and the low moving parts count of multirotors will be the driving factor.  There are just too many moving parts and adjustments on helicopters to be serviceable by the military, especially in the field.
  5. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    It's a fair question ...

And only widening the scope of the discussion, making it fatter and more interesting ... Yeah [​IMG]