1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hanger

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by Golden Child, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

What's everyone flying out there? Here is a pic of my current hanger and projects...
    A Super Cub LP from HobbyZone, two Pitts Bipes (one from BananaHobby, the other from HobbyKing), a flat foamy (homemade), my new RQ-1 Reaper FPV airframe ready to assemble, and my F-18C EDF - GO Ducks!!!

Attached Files:

• 21_.jpg
      File size:
      34.3 KB
      Views:
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Is that yellow one a ducted fan?
  3. Golden Child

Yes it is. a 64mm single EDF unit made by AirfieldRC and sold by Nitroplanes.com. Good performance and flight characteristics despite all the "war damage"! (I think there's as much CA as original foam!)

Attached Files:

• 25_.jpg
      File size:
      59.8 KB
      Views:
    • 27_.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

I've never flown a rc plane and everyone I ask says not to start with a ducted fan "jet" but that is what I want to get if I start with planes.
  5. Golden Child

Everyone you've asked is right. Electric Ducted Fan (EDF) planes typically have less wing area in relationship to their overall weight than prop planes (referred to as wing loading). The higher the wing loading (more weight, less wing area), the faster you need to go to produce enough lift to stay in the air - faster is NOT the best way to learn! Besides, if you start out right with a trainer type, you'll definitely get the bug and purchase more planes for your hanger  ;) If you start out with a "go-fast" type, you'll crash more and be more likely to get frustrated and quit before you've had a chance to really enjoy the sport.
    My first plane was a Pitts Special Bi-Plane from BananaHobby.com http://www.bananahobby.com/1858.html. It comes with everything needed INCLUDING a flight simulator CD and cable to connect your transmitter to your home computer (this was the selling point for me). Most everyone else that I fly with started with the Super Cub LP from HobbyZone.com (Al's in Medford also stocks and sells this one, as well as Mild to Wild here in Grants Pass.) It litterally is designed to be "crash-proof". I have one of these also and have to say that it REALLY is hard to crash! Rogue Valley Flyers has their monthly meeting tonight at 7pm. If you're available, you should come by and talk with a few of the members to see what they think. Details are below...

What: RVF Meeting
    Where: Spring Meadow Retirement Community
    1357 Redwood Circle
    Grants Pass
    When: Aug 3, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
    Description: Our first monthly club meeting in our new location. Creation Room on the third floor of the facility.
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

I'm going to lookup that J-3 you mentioned, thanks for the tip.  I might have attended that meeting tonight, but two hours advance notice just isn't enough for me.  Maybe in the future you can post to the calendar on here.  I know I would like to know of such things several days to a week in advance.
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

I just tried out the calendar on this forum with your meeting as a sample.  I went via the top menu to calendar then post event.  I added the details and after posting the meeting appears in the calendar and also in the forum "events".  Hopefully we will use this feature more.
  8. Golden Child

Yeah, sorry for the short notice. Will definitely post some events in the calendar. Thanks.
  9. Golden Child

Just posted an event for this Saturday. The Rogue Valley Flyers will have some tables at the Daily Courier's Flea Market. Details are posted in the events section (calendar) ;D
  10. Golden Child

Oops, a correction to my earlier post on the Cub. It is the Super Cub LP that we have, not the J-3. The Link is below...

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/index/index_park_flyers_rtf/HBZ7300.html
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

I had found this J3 http://www.rcplanet.com/ParkZone_BL_RTF_p/pkz4500.htm and it looks like the one I saw that guy flying over at the Redwood school.
    The one you linked to looks good too.  Crash-proof is what I would need.  I only flew Chris' "vapor" once at the wintertime fly and drive in Murphy indoors at that school.  I guess I did ok...for a minute or so.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

13. Golden Child

Niether the Cub or Icon A5 are "beginner" planes. They are both setup with flatter wing angles and faster, more powerful motors - usually not a bad thing, but for beginners, slow and lofty is a better (and cheaper) way to learn. Of the two however, the Cub would be a better choice (in my opinion), and around $200 cheaper as the Icon is a BNF (Bind and Fly - meaning you still need a Spektrum Tx). Whereas the Cub is RTF (Ready to Fly).
    Come out to the RVF tables at the Daily Courier's Flea Market this Saturday and/or just some fun flying with the locals at Redwood School Sunday morning, and toss around your thoughts to people that have been flying awhile. We all LOVE to talk and tell stories ;D
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

Would that Icon A5 be a good plane to do some aerial video with?
  15. Golden Child

The pusher prop arrangement is ideal for FPV as it gives an unobstucted forward view - however, again, the Icon A5 is not a beginner plane. That having been said, the FlyCamOne series of micro video recorders from Hobby-Lobby.com are very popular http://www.hobby-lobby.com/flycamone_394_ctg.htm
    They are lightweight, install easily, and have pivoting heads for easy camera view setup. There is also a very large accessories selection for these cameras as well.
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

Did I understand that correctly, you can turn the camera remotely?  For example you can look left, then straight ahead, and then right with the camera in the plane all controlled from the ground?
  17. Golden Child

The base camera setup - no. It's head is adjustable to a preset angle that you choose. It records on-board, then downloads to your computer. It does have accessories that let you transmit the video live over 5.8Ghz frequency, and another accessory that allows remote control of the camera head itself (pan/tilt). But these accessories add a LOT of weight and aren't very small. A full setup like this would not work on the Icon A5, nor most planes with less than around a 65" wingspan (depending on actual plane type). You'd need a lot of lift and a powerful motor setup to pull it off and still need a stable, smooth flying airframe. A high-wing powered-glider type would work best.
    But you're getting ahead of yourself. Get a reasonably priced, easy to fly plane, get the basics down, and expand your horizons from there. ;)
  18. Golden Child

Took a trio out to Redwood School today. GREAT fun with a GREAT group of flyers :D I took the Cub, flew excellent as always, the Pitts bipe, always a crowd favorite - super scale and great aerobatics, and I took the F-18C EDF. Something was wrong in my power setup today with the F-18 and I brought it in for a hard landing which broke one of the wings (not the first time ;)). Waiting for the epoxy to dry as I'm writing this, so good to go for tomorrow after work - woot!

Attached Files:

• 29_.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
  19. Golden Child

I just realized something, I didn't break a single prop yesterday!!! First outting that's happened :)
    Hey GPS, look for me at Redwood School next Sunday. I'll have the same trio I brought yesterday, plus (hopefully) a new flat foamy and my RQ-1 Reaper drone.
    Hope to see you there, Mike.
  20. Golden Child

Should be receiving my new motor/esc combo for my flat foamies tomorrow. Will work on it over the weekend and get some pics up.