1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxcopter - Maybe we've been doing this all wrong.

Discussion in 'Multirotor' started by GPS, May 2, 2013.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

2. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

WOW :eek: That was really cool! As soon as I saw him launching near the water I thought to myself "hey, that will probably float..." sure enough, he didn't disappoint :D If I ever get caught up on all my projects, I might have to try something like that 8)
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

I like this idea also.  I winder if there are connectors inside the arm mounts.  Did you see that he just seems to plug in the arms with the motors mounted into the plastic box?

I saw some SnapWare boxes like his at BiMart last night.  They were a little smaller but should be big enough.
  4. Golden Child

If you play the video full screen and in 1080 you can see the motor/esc wires on the box by where the arms slide in. He plugs them in separately but cut that part out of his video.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Ah, good eye.  It is still a great idea.  Besides being waterproof and apparently flying well you can store the arms inside for transport.  The whole thing is quite clever.
  6. Golden Child

After giving it some thought, it wouldn't be hard to mount the motor/esc wires inside the tubes so that they connect when the arm is slid into the tube thereby making it a VERY simple plugin setup ;)

Hmmm, very intriguing concept. I wonder how cheap I could do this?
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

I read somewhere that he used towel rack bar for the square bar that is fixed to the tupperware box.  That might not be too expensive.  Then one would need wood or another metal square tube that fit into the towel bar without too much play.
  8. Golden Child

After "shopping around" HobbyKing.com I can get the components for around $200 (motors/ESC's/ and battery aren't the cheapest I could find, but represent my personal picks - LOTS of power!). The arms and mount tubes I can get from work for nothing, the plastic box I can get from Goodwill/etc. for a couple bucks. So $200 +/- for a pretty cool and very unique quad :D

Ooh, gotta add lights - another $10 ;)
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

You could mount the lights inside the tupperware pretty easily and they won't get wet or damaged.  I plan to add lights inside my SnapWare camera mount this way.  It's not clear but the opaqueness should make a cool effect.