1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Talking about crazy 1/5 scale builds...

Discussion in 'Off Road' started by GPS, Feb 7, 2014.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

2. Dr.W

Dr.W Registered

ive seen, he has a build thread on the baja forums. the wheelbase is crazy long, i can't imagine it turning around very well. would make for a good drag-racer though! the RCMAX70 is a wicked powerful motor, tons of low-rpm grunt. he prolly had to make it that long to keep the front wheels on the ground, lol!
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

Or maybe to accommodate that huge exhaust pipe. Even though it is that long he was pulling the front wheels.
  4. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

Here ya go check this one out
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Is that a two cylinder motor in there (1:54)? Nice tire marks on the asphalt. Too funny!
  6. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

I believe it is two cy 61-62 cc and over 10 hp I think it's a shortned 5b and I know they make twin cy 62 cc engines 14-15 hp they are on YouTube
  7. Dr.W

Dr.W Registered

OBR and RCMK both make twin cylinder engines, ranging from 45cc to 61cc, and there are single cylinder engines ranging from 22.5cc up to 31.6cc in the smaller engine design. OBR is making singles in the 38 and 40cc range coming soon. as far as the big singles, Skopod makes a mod kit for the Zenoah G62PU airplane engine (62cc) and RCMAX makes the 70cc single.
  8. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

Guess I was mistaken I looked and can't find anything with more hp than this it's 18hp
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    GPS likes this.
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

Ouch! Nice looking model and tuber frame. The green tube frame must be plastic judging by the way it was vibrating.
  10. Dr.W

Dr.W Registered

the 70 is badass! you could ride that thing! lol!
    the plastic cage is a team chase design, they popular with the baja guys, though i wont spend 200$ on a plastic cage o_O i paid less than 100 for my steel tuber...
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

I like the look, but I think on a truck that big I'd rather have a steel cage. Plus that vibration it was doing in the back just didn't look right.
  12. Dr.W

Dr.W Registered

yes, steel is the way to go on these 30+ pound bad boys. the smaller scales are fine for bashing around with plastic cages/bodies, but these big heavy guys need something a little sturdier to hold them together and protect them. there's just no way id trust a plastic cage and body to protect my 1,000$ engine...
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

Wow! Your engine costs more than most of my models. That must be a special or hopped up engine.
  14. Dr.W

Dr.W Registered

yeah, these 5th scale engines are expensive if you build one right. the twins are around 1700 with pipes, and the 70's can get even more. this one im building gonna be so expensive cause im buying all the best billet parts and building it myself. the bottom end is worth $500 alone with the clutch and gearplate, and its getting a 200$ billet head kit and a 200$ pipe too. with the carb, ignition, starter, mounts, and covers, that puts this 30.5cc engine at a bit over a grand to make it run. but its gonna be a badass friggin motor too! i should see over 7hp and 18,000rpm. i can get a totally stock, disposable 2hp 23cc engine for $200. but id rather spend the extra dough on a engine that i can easily rebuild for cheap, and has all the top performance factors :)
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

Are those billet parts a investment that you can use for years, or do they wear out and have a limited life expectancy?
  16. Dr.W

Dr.W Registered

absolutely. the only things you will eventually have to replace are the wearable parts like the bearings and seals, ring and cylinder, and clutch shoes, which are all relatively cheap to replace. the rest of everything im buying, like the engine case, clutch housing, clutch carrier, flywheel, head shell, pipe, etc, will all be good for years to come as long as i take care of the ol girl and keep her shiny and clean :) i focus on long-term investment with her, like her driveshafts, i paid for the FLM CVD's with a free replacement lifetime warranty. i dont want any problems down the road, and if i do i want it to be taken care of for cheap or free.
    GPS likes this.
  17. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

Hey Dr.w any idea what kind of hp you will achieve once it's broke in and tuned

18. Dr.W

Dr.W Registered

similar engines are rated around 7-8hp and 3ft-lbs torque and will spin 18,000rpm