1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Sunday morning crawl

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by highlandcrawler, Aug 4, 2013.

1. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

I am heading down to stringer gap for a little crawling in a bit. The smoke is pretty light this morning so im gonna take advantage of it. Going over there around 10 or so and will be down there for a couple hours. If anyone else wants to play stop by and join me.
  2. highlandcrawler

Im bored so gonna head down earlier. Should be there about 8:30
  3. slash 127

slash 127 Registered

Seems like the crawling died out on this site
  4. highlandcrawler

Its a lot of work doing build threads that no one really cares about. Taking pictures and dealing with uploading them is kind of a pain if your doing it for no real reason? Then on top of that all the negative karma points thing i figure most would rather i keep to myself and dont wanna hear what i have to say. If i dont feel welcome somewhere a LARGE part of the local crawling community wont either. We are all still out there and building new rigs and running them though. Im building a ultra4/rock bouncer right now. Bullet proof custom frame with all hand cut steel body panels.

[​IMG]
    big dog 77 likes this.
  5. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

I enjoy seeing all build threads. I myself haven't had anything new going on with crawling. But I check up on all the updated post. I was just out tonight with the honcho. Almost shot a vid. But as erin mentioned I wouldn't think anyone would care so why bother going thru it. Though my session was pretty epic.... lol
  6. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's really bad ass Erin! I too like the build threads and I'm sorry that a few bad users we have here have made people feel unwelcome. I know what you mean and certainly can't blame anyone for feeling that way. John and I have tried to remedy some of that, but I still see it from time to time :(

Anyway, back to your new build. What are you using for drive gear and electronics?
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

What's a "rock bouncer"?  Is that something new?  Does rock bouncing require such a heavy duty chassis?  You chassis work looks awesome, as does all your work.
  8. slash 127

slash 127 Registered

I like looking at people's builds and seeing what their style is. It's just cool seeing what people do to make their rig their own. Even though people rarely comment on builds they seem to get a lot of views so somebody is obviously looking at it lol
  9. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

that things is coming along great erin!
    I have noticed the scetions die down with the seasons! With it being nice for the most part besides all the smoke alot of crawler guys have either started new projects or have put there crawlers aside and are doing other stuff like racing or flying! most of us have a good selection of rc's to be able to do different things with the different seasons!!
  10. highlandcrawler

It has Axial axles built with some super tough parts and a Venom Creeper tranny. I chose the creeper because of the wide internal gears and durability. Also the motor is centered above the outputs allowing me perfect shaft angles and minimizes torque twisting under power. Im gonna feed it 3s and 4s off a BH LT4 120a into a Tekin or Viper sensored motor. 13.5 or 10.5 depending on what Im doing. I might even drop in an 8.5 and some paddles and use it for some water skimming :D.

[quote author=GPS link=topic=3847.msg19799#msg19799 date=1375704169]
    What's a "rock bouncer"?  Is that something new?  Does rock bouncing require such a heavy duty chassis?  You chassis work looks awesome, as does all your work.
    [/quote]

I dont really like the term "rock bouncer" only used it because more people know them by that name. They are southern buggys by a better name. Not really new but recently gaining popularity in the last few years due to some insane buggies and even more insane drivers. They use the toughest cages of any motorsport on the planet hands down. They use a ton of short runs of tube with tons or triangulation. A lot of guys that don't understand them will call them spaghetti buggys because of all the tubing used. They have between 400-1000 hp motors and the toughest axles under a vehicle. Their axles are now being built stronger than a monster trucks even. They are built with the sole purpose to kill the nastiest steepest hills possible. They are like our American version of Formula Offroad or FOFF.

Here is a clip of one of my favorites Screeming Blue driven by bad ass bobby tanner.
    http://youtu.be/pOQyfTnJDPs
    big dog 77 likes this.
  11. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

Dude thats ganna be bad ass!! Now its got me thinking!!!!
  12. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

bozzoreed89@gmail.com Registered

That beast looks super tough good work man
  13. Golden Child

Hmmm, water skimming...

Definitely call me up when you get ready to try that! That is something that would really peak my interest!!!
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

I think Slash 127 hit the nail on the head:

[quote author=slash 127 link=topic=3847.msg19815#msg19815 date=1375722044]
    I like looking at people's builds and seeing what their style is. It's just cool seeing what people do to make their rig their own. Even though people rarely comment on builds they seem to get a lot of views so somebody is obviously looking at it lol
    [/quote]

It is a lot of work making build threads.  On top of that I think we all get so caught up on our builds that we forget to "Document" them with photos to aid in telling the story.  It's exciting to build and we all get focused on getting the build work done, not the build post work.

Being a businessman Highlandcrawler you probably appreciate the value in creating good quality build threads.

Regarding the Karma: We had a lot of anonymous people giving others anonymous Karma points.  In the mean time many members have met in person so we more or less know who's behind the handles on here, but the Karma system was still anonymous.  Since making the Karma points public a lot of that behavior has gone away.

[quote author=highlandcrawler link=topic=3847.msg19826#msg19826 date=1375729853]
    I dont really like the term "rock bouncer" only used it because more people know them by that name. They are southern buggys by a better name. Not really new but recently gaining popularity in the last few years due to some insane buggies and even more insane drivers. They use the toughest cages of any motorsport on the planet hands down. They use a ton of short runs of tube with tons or triangulation. A lot of guys that don't understand them will call them spaghetti buggys because of all the tubing used. They have between 400-1000 hp motors and the toughest axles under a vehicle. Their axles are now being built stronger than a monster trucks even. They are built with the sole purpose to kill the nastiest steepest hills possible. They are like our American version of Formula Offroad or FOFF.

Here is a clip of one of my favorites Screeming Blue driven by bad ass bobby tanner.
    http://youtu.be/pOQyfTnJDPs
    [/quote]

Thank you for the explanation.  I thought I missed a new RC category somehow.  That video was crazy!  That truck is like a animal let loose.  The title cracked me up: "WOULD YOU RIDE WITH BOBBY TANNER?"  My question would be "WOULD BOBBY TANNER RIDE WITH ME?".  LOL

So if these style 1:1 trucks have all those powerful engines and super strong axles how will that equate to your RC version?  Are we taking about a Castle Creations Mamba Monster ESC and 1/8 scale motor in a 1/10 scale truck running 6S with monster truck axles?  It looks like your chassis will handle anything you could throw at a RC truck.

I look forward to seeing more of your creation.
  15. highlandcrawler

John:

Its actually a lot smaller than it looks and surprisingly light. It is all 1/8 rod not the more common3/16. Im only looking for a top speed in the 25-30 range so I hope a 1/10 system gets me there. I think a 10.5 on 3 and 4s will be wild like those videos.

Here it is next to a clod bodied truck thats on the smaller side of 1/10 itself. The large 1.9s on the buggy are a bit deceiving when viewed alone. You kinda assume its big because of them.

[​IMG]
  16. Golden Child

As they say on the east cost "That there's wicked awesome!" Can't wait to see her go!
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

Oh yeah, I see what you mean.  I thought it was E/T-Maxx size.  4S?  That will make it go!  Looking forward to some more photos as you progress.