1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Sothern Oregon FPV

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Pelagic Pilot, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I have done some FPV flying over the last month or so and uploaded a few videos to YouTube. Here is a video from flying at the old Spalding mill site in GP:

http://youtu.be/h5m60oxULVY

And from my last trip to the sand dunes where I crashed, still putting the thing back together:

http://youtu.be/J-8mK_cOfzw

I plan to expand on FPV a bit more and am working on a second, bigger helicopter.

Tyson
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Hey Tyson,

That is my favorite place to fly in Grants Pass.  We also run RC cars and trucks on the big concrete foundation.  Next time you plan to go out there I'd like to come out and watch you fly and see your FPV setup.  I've got a few helicopters but none in flying shape right now.

We have a few other helicopter fans on here.  Tiger brings a helicopter once in a while to the school on Redwood Sunday mornings, and there are a lot of airplane pilots there.  You can see a FPV video shot by "Flightbox" Dave in the airplane forum from a Sunday meet this past September.  GPBill and w00d are also helicopter fans.

Did you know you can have your YouTube videos display right in these forums instead of a link to them?  Use the [ youtube ][ /youtube ] code button and paste the URL from your video in between the ][ brackets.
  3. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Very nice videos - especially the one at the dunes (Winchester Bay to Florence is my favorite spot on the coast, be there next weekend in fact). How soon before you're airborn again? What are you using for radio/FPV equipment?
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Currently I am flying a Blade 450 3D and have added the SN555 camera and 910 Mhz transmitter and Rx combo from Hobby Wireless. I use an extra battery on board for the A/V system so flight times are not reduced. I should have it fixed this weekend and will do some flying to test it out.
  5. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

For some reason, maybe my computer is too old, I can not see the embedded videos here. It's just an empty square box where the video should be?
  6. GPBill

GPBill Registered

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-8mK_cOfzw&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Cool video.  8)
    Sorry to see the hard landing at the end, you did very well before that. Do you know what caused it?
    This FPV stuff has me fascinated, would love to see your set up.

I used the "YouTube" code button as GPS suggested.
  7. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

It was just really bad flying conditions and with me being new I got in over my head. I use a stabilization computer on the helicopter that does not work with overcast skies so I had to turn it off for flying that day and got into a big rush as my battery was getting low. It is all fixed now and flying very nicely. I am also starting a new/bigger gas powered heli for longer duration FPV and hope to have that done by next year.
  8. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Glad you are up and running again.
    Post some photos if you have some, we'd love to see how you are setup. ;)
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

Pelagic Pilot came out to the school yesterday when we were racing on-road and demoed his helicopter for me.  WOW!  He has a system called "Co-Pilot II" in it and he was able to do some maneuvers that would have lead me to an inevitable crash.  Twice I thought he was going down for sure but the system corrected the helicopter.  Very interesting stuff.
  10. GPBill

GPBill Registered

I have looked at their systems before. Pretty impressive. They have a video somewhere showing hands off heli flight.  :eek:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/Co-Pilot-II_2
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

After looking at your link I think he has the "combo 2 or 3" because he had plenty of sensors on his helicopter.  He also showed me how the IR networked programming box worked.  Very cool stuff.
  12. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I have the combo that comes with everything except the usb cable for doing firmware updates. Don't really need it because the supplied firmware currently has no issues. There is a possible rumor that they will include a GPS hold function in the future. But not sure if that is true.
  13. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Went mountain flying today and uploaded the video to YouTube:

http://youtu.be/ekW1U-5jTQ8

This is the "Pelagic" style of flying I am after. Just need better equipment. My HK600 showed up today, now for a lot of work to get it flying.....
  14. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Nice,
    I was holding my breath for you at the end.  :eek:
    You must have been using the copilot stabilization?
  15. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I uploaded last Sunday's FPV flight from the school where everyone meets.

http://youtu.be/Qd66bcN8nk0
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

Cool.  Thanks for sharing.
  17. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Hey Tyson - I got to the school late and missed you last week.  When I got there everyone was talking about your flight.  Was just wondering if you will be there again this Sunday so I could take a look at your equipment and hopefully see you fly it.  If you are going to be there, any idea what time?

...Tiger
  18. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Tiger, don't think I can make it this weekend. Have a lot to do, plus it looks like the best chance of rain will be this Sunday. I am however getting involved with another helicopter FPV project and when it is further along I would be more than happy to show it to anyone interested. I plan to do some YouTube video blogs of the build.
  19. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Thanks!  I look forward to seeing you at the school one of these weekends.  You might give me a yell when you are going to be there, because I often down show up until about noon.  I'll come early if you're there.

...Tiger