1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

So, I'm Back To Flying!

Discussion in 'Multirotor' started by Golden Child, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Spent the morning in Florence today enjoying some great coastal weather. And out of the corner of my eye I see a new store. Wait a minute... it's an RC Hobby Shop!!!!!So, of course, I trip in to check it out. It's a small shop, about the size of Mild To Wild Hobby House there in Grants Pass. One guy operation, and he's a pilot! (woohoo) :D So we get to talking and he shows me this micro quad from Horizon - The Faze, and it's only $40. SOLD! It's charging now. I'll take it out for some flight time and post pics later! :D
  2. Golden Child

As promised :) These were taken this evening at Lake Marie in Winchester Bay at the Umpqua Lighthouse State Park. Blu 5.0c 045.jpg Blu 5.0c 046.jpg Blu 5.0c 047.jpg Blu 5.0c 048.jpg Blu 5.0c 049.jpg Blu 5.0c 050.jpg Blu 5.0c 051.jpg Blu 5.0c 052.jpg
    GPS likes this.
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

Cool! How does it fly? Amazing how small they can make those things.
    Were you holding the camera to take a photo and flying at the same time?
  4. Golden Child

It flies pretty smooth. Throttle is a bit touchy - difficult to hold hover. It has auto-flip feature - push down on right stick and move it the direction you want it to flip. Pretty neat for $40! And, yes, I was trying to fly and take the pics at the same time.
  5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

That's pretty neat! A lot of the new little quads would be fantastic if you could just fly them on a real transmitter. It's that tiny cheapo TX that's wrecking all the fun.

...Tiger
    Golden Child likes this.
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Can the little quad be bound to a larger transmitter? Are they/is it Spectrum/Futaba/FRSky etc. compatible?
  7. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I'm sure it doesn't bind to anything else. That seems to be how all these little ones are. What a shame! I just looked at the Horizon site on the slim chance of some reference to DSMx, but nothing there. Also read the reviews. I've never seen a Horizon product with such terrible reivews (Sorry Mike). http://www.horizonhobby.com/faze-rtf-ultra-small-quad-hbz8300

...Tiger
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

If you have two of those mini quads will the transmitters work on each of them? I can't imagine they are all on the same channel/frequency or else two people could not fly them at the same time. I also can't imagine that the quad and transmitter are hardware set to each other. That would seem like a manufacturing and logistical nightmare. There must be some kind of bind function.
  9. Golden Child

GPS, there's no bind function. But they do operate on the 2.4GHz frequency so it would be no different than using a non-computer-model Spektrum Tx (DX5e, DXe for example). Tiger, the shop owner told me people had bad experiences with this model, only to have them bring it in for a refund. After looking at the unit, he was able to pull the props off and noticed some hair wrapped around the motor shafts. Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the tiny little motors don't do well with even the smallest amount of friction on them. He cleaned to motor shafts off, and the unit worked properly again. I have, thus far, had no problems with mine. :)
  10. Golden Child

Tiger, another thing to consider... this is a product of China (and all that implies) Undoubtedly the reason for many of the bad reviews. I.E. China=crap! I knew that going in, but hey, for $40 it's cheap fun and I'm enjoying it :)
  11. Golden Child

Lake Marie, where the above photos were taken, is a small lake (pond really) that would be GREAT for micro float planes! I've got my eye on the E Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS and floats set. Keep your eyes peeled for this in the near future! :D
    They also make a micro Icon A5!
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016