1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Rasberry Pi

Discussion in 'News' started by GPS, Jan 5, 2012.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

You guys who are into electronics, like those who are into the RogueBots Club, will probably get a kick out of this product if you haven't already heard about it:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

They want to release a complete Linux system for $25.  Check it out.
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

The Gertboard is being developed by Broadcom employee Gert van Loo in his spare time. When completed, it will allow Raspberry Pi owners to play around with flashing LEDs, electric motors, and a range of different sensors. It effectively takes the $25 Raspberry Pi beyond just being a very cheap PC. There's a video of the Gertboard already working which demonstrates the 12 LEDs being lit up and the board powering an electric motor more than capable of lifting something like your garage door."

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/500
  3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I take it you must be some kind of computer hardware kind of guy? Someday in my spare time (yeah right) I hope to learn more about the Arduino thing, it can operate servos and do stuff.
  4. Tiger

Tiger Registered

PP - If you're looking for the fast path to controlling things, forget the Arduino and take a look at the Parallax Basic Stamp.  You'll be controlling whatever it is you want to control in an evening!

...Tiger
  5. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    I play around with the Arduino and the learning curve is also relatively quick, well getting the thing up and running is. But as with any micro-controller they can be as simple or as complex as you want or need them to be. Anyhow best not get into any which is "Best"  type of contests here. But one of the reasons why ANY of these chips have become popular of late is their support of the high-level programing languages. Basically getting away from the bit-level programing of the past, machine language. Which when armed with a good program editor {IMO} makes programming them infinity easier. {LOL} I say learn them ALL but whatever you choose I can tell you it's allot of good fun. Plus I'd say if you can program a cNC Mill then programming a microchip no matter which you choose should be a breeze ;)
  6. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I have looked at the Parallax, but then as time past without me doing anything about it I saw the Arduino show up and assumed it had took over as the new thing. I was impressed that it can fly a Helicopter so it must be complicated. I just want to do some basic things like add a pseudo channel to a rc receiver, i figure if you can read the PWM of the servo position then the Arduino can carry out a set of instructions when it sees a predetermined PWM signal. For example you can fly a plane at 3/4 throttle or less until in position, then go full throttle which has a specific PWM on that channel for that servo and then another action can begin to take place, like turn on nav lights, another stab to full throttle will toggle them back off. Just dumb stuff like that for fun iz all.
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't know if I would compare the Rasberry Pi to the Parallax or Arduino.
  8. Tiger

Tiger Registered

GPS - You definitely can't compare the Rasberry to Parallax or the Arduino.  And wOOd... There is on "which one is best".  It's all about the application you have.  For what PP wants to do, the Basic Stamp is still the best of the two if you put much value on your time.  The Stamp is super easy to use and that is where it shines.  The price is a little high, but the ease of use makes up for that in a lot of applications.  I think that would include what PP wants to do.  A raw Atmel or PIC processor is the least expensive solution from a parts cost standpoint, but the learning curve is very steep.  I guess you have to decide if you want to learn to be a programmer or if you just want to get your project working.  I personally don't use Stamps because they are to slow and expensive, but I still recognize that they have their time and place. 

The only thing I like about the Arduino is that it hosts an Atmel processor and the boards are really nice and really cheap.  If I use an Arduino board, the first thing I do is purge the software out of it and put all my own stuff in.  I'm always making products so I want things as lean and mean as possible.  I code almost exclusively in assembly which isn't especially easy to learn.  It just gives me the least expensive product and that's what I'm after most of the time because of high volume. 

I think I'm getting off the track here!  PP - I'd look at the Stamp.  I can probably scare one up if you want to play with it.

...Tiger
  9. w00d

w00d Registered

But I wasn't going to GET into those type of contests here ... {LOL} I don't do that as they can lead to a conflict of personalities, so when I caught myself doing it I cut myself short! I like both Mac and PC, Linux and Windows. But my apologies if I offended
  10. w00d

w00d Registered

Well the Arduino has become quite popular but I shouldn't really say "Arduino" as this is only a brand name. I should be saying "Amtel" and when we look at that way it opens to an assortment (too many to count and growing) of options and addon's that support the Amtel chip, in other words there's allot of TOYS for it ;) It's like "Windows" which may NOT be the "best" but there sure is allot TOYS for it just because of it's popularity

Check out SparkFun if you haven't already as they sell allot Amtel plus others mentioned in this thread. They also do some excellent tutorials about electronics and micro chip use thats well worth the reading even if it's not your intention to get into anything being discussed here, just GOOD reading

But by NO means take this as a recommendation (LOL) I believe you should do your own deciding looking at all your options whether they be Amtel, PIC, Basic Stamp or others. They ALL have their Pro's and Cons and only you can tell which would be the right FIT

I fell into Adreno because at the time not knowing anything about micro's this seemed for myself at least the easiest because I did have a programming background. Having worked in the industry for IBM, Dell and number of Clone Shops I have to confess I was predisposed to programming in general
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

Rasberry Pi running XBMC - quite nicely.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4NR57ELY28s[/youtube]
  12. GPS

GPS Registered