1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

posting pic's

Discussion in 'FAQ and Suggestions' started by JROCK, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JROCK

JROCK Registered

This may be a silly subject but, i don't know how to post pictures of my rides on this forum.somebody please help..... :'(
  2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Under the field where you write your post in a liknk called "Attachments and other options".  Click that and upload your picture or pictures.
  3. smitty

smitty Registered

I've uploaded a couple of pictures.
    Both appear very small.
    While I see other pictures posted that are huge, in fact too big.

So... what the secret?
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

If you click on the pictures you uploaded you will see the larger version.

I think the pictures you mentioned that are too big are hosted on a service like "Photobucket" and the URL is added to the posts instead.
    Some people like photo sharing services so they can use the same photo easily on several different forums or websites.  The downside is if you use delete or remove a photo from your service all the links to photos in your forum posts get broken.
    Another reason some use photo services is because some forums don't support photo uploading to save space on the server.  More space used on the server equals more expense per month.
  5. smitty

smitty Registered

Too cool!
    See, this old dog can learn a new trick!
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Cowabunga dude!
  7. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

I tried to post some pics . but am getting "FILE IS TOO LARGE"=even w/ a single pic (off my GoPro)...any sugestions?
  8. smitty

smitty Registered

Resize the pic to something less than 128k.

I'm posting a sample pic resized to 640x480 180ppi at max quality 115kb

Attached Files:

9. GPS

GPS Registered

You can still upload big pictures just use your photo editor and "save as" and set the compression level to a somewhat higher value.

Smitty - You're truck looks great.  New body?
  10. smitty

smitty Registered

GPS; Actually it's an older pic. It was my second attempt at a custom paint job. Except for a few dents and scrapes it's still in good shape. I'm sure you will see it again.

Although you can't really see it in the pic, the rear deck is painted as carbon fiber.
    I'm still practicing with the airbrush. The transition from white to red is mostly finger painting. LOL
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

Great job!  My first paint job was a single color and it didn't turn out that good.  ;D  I read that to get a carbon fiber look people use a screen mesh.  I was thinking to look into doing some carbon fiber look pain on my Hyper 10SC....BTW, did you get your's?
  12. smitty

smitty Registered

I used window screen with silver and black acrylic hobby paint.

I think I need to wait for a week or two on the Hyper 10SC. The UPS truck has stopped too many times this month already. Although, I have made an offer on it. If it's accepted, maybe the delivery will be delayed until October. LOL
  13. JROCK

JROCK Registered

same here.
  14. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

video's are 50,000kb and the pics are1700+ kb=still looking for a format to shrink them
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

If you want to post videos to this forum, or on any forum actually, you should first upload them to a video service like YouTube.  Once you've done that you can get the URL and paste it into the forum using the YouTube code button.

If your pictures are 1700 kb they are just too big for most websites, not just this one.  Most pictures on the web are down scaled in two ways: one is resolution and the second is file size.

Best practices for most websites, including this one, is to scale your pictures to a size that fits the screen because nobody wants to view pictures that are wider than the page they are viewing.  For this forum specifically I have found that pictures scaled to 800x600 work best.  When they are uploaded the system automatically creates "thumbnail" images, the small versions that you see initially when you view a post.  When you click the thumbnail you will get the full size picture. 

The second aspect is file size.  I don't know what photo editor you use, but most have a method to reduce the file size using compression.  This may also be called image "quality".  As you turn up the compression the quality typically is reduced.  Web designers typically use 72 DPI for web images because of physical limitations of the computer and device screens they are viewed on.  For a comparison print media typically uses 300 DPI.  300 DPI images have MUCH larger file sizes than 72 DPI images.  Most people set their camera's to a relatively high resolution to obtain the best quality but these settings will create files that are way too big for web usage and will even cause problems on some devices, not to mention that they will take forever to download.  The solution is to downsample the quality using a photo editor.

If you don't know how to downsample your photos let me know what photo editor you use and I will see if I can help.