1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Do You Have a Rock Crawler?

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by GPS, Oct 7, 2011.

?

Do you have a rock crawler?

1. Yes, I have one rock crawler.

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. Yes, I have more than one rock crawler.

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. No, I do not have a rock crawler but I intend to get one.

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. No, I do not have a rock crawler and I do not intend to get one.

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. GPS

GPS Registered

Tell us how many of you have rock crawlers, or if you intend to get one.
  2. smitty

smitty Registered

Voted No not yet!

I'm thinking a Losi Night Crawler would be nice for some winter time indoor activities in our clubhouse.
  3. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Voted No Not Yet. Looking at the Axial Wraith. Any thoughts, anyone? :eek:
  4. GPBill

GPBill Registered

I have a SCX10 with the honcho body.
    http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-rtr/index.html
    I've geared it down a little and replaced the radio with one of the Hobby King 2.4 surface radios.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15141__Hobby_King_GT_2_2_4Ghz_2Ch_Tx_Rx_USA_Warehouse_.html
    Kind of an entry level I guess but loads of fun none the less.  :)
    It looks like the kits now come with a 2.4 radio system.  ::)
  5. JROCK

JROCK Registered

well,i was never really into turtle power intil a friend of mine brought his crawler to my house for some maintence.anyhoo i played with it and was just amazed at what it could do/climb.so i will definitely be adding some turtle power to my collection soon.....any suggestions?
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

We've got three crawlers but the XR10 is still a kit-in-the-box.  The others are a Losi Night Crawler (my girls) and I have a tricked out AX10 Scorpion with brushless and a lot of Vanquish Products aftermarket parts.  After driving them both for a while I would say out of the box the Losi Night Crawler is the better bang for the buck.  The worm drive does not exhibit the chassis torque twist that my double the cost AX10 has.  I would recommend the Losi Night Crawler to anyone interested to try crawling, but it is still a "Shafty" and the top of the line serious crawlers all seem to be MOA (motor on axle) designs like the Axial XR10.  Losi also makes their "Comp Crawler" for people looking for more than the Nigh Crawler so you get some better shocks and parts that might be purchased separately for the Night Crawler.  But the Night Crawler is no slouch and comes with very nice red aluminum chassis plates and a lot of adjustability and a very good price.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the lights on the Losi Night Crawler are very cool.  There are four lights pointed at each corner and they look great at night and help you see the terrain in the dark.

I hear a lot of good things about the Wraith, but it's still a shafty.  Highlandcrawler may be the guys to look to for the best recommendations as he has been doing crawling for a while and even makes and sells his own after market parts.  Hopefully he will comment in here for you guys.

I found this tonight:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRzjLA77gpo[/youtube]
  7. Golden Child

Thanks for the video GPS. I doubt I'll ever be into competition crawling, so I don't mind the worm gear drive setup. If I get one it will be just to have something in that category that looks cool and doesn't break the bank :D Besides, the Wraith reminds me of a rock buggy I made years ago using Toyota & Jeep drive train components 8)
  8. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

The Losi crawlers are pretty capable and a ton of fun. If you are looking to crawl inside in the winter the Losi MRC and the micro crawlers are super fun. With the micros you can build a miniature mountain and put it on top of a table then sit around it with all your buddies and have hours of fun. We had a whole room converted into a micro playground for a while. A properly maintained 1/10 sized losi is kind of messy for inside. The comp crawler and the night crawler when taken care of properly will have a lot of grease coming from the axles and get all over the place ;)

[quote author=Golden Child link=topic=216.msg1308#msg1308 date=1318022475]
    Voted No Not Yet. Looking at the Axial Wraith. Any thoughts, anyone? :eek:
    [/quote]
    The Wraith is super fun to drive. Not much for crawling but for bombing up and down trails and just general foolery they are great. Super durable and have some decent electronics in them. They have the kit out now also so you can build it also and add what you want. The aftermarket is blowing up for them just like the rest of the Axial line. I have even ventured int producing parts for them. The ar60 axle platform is pretty cool. I just picked up a pair of the housings for a build I'm working on. Boy are they wide :eek:

[quote author=GPBill link=topic=216.msg1311#msg1311 date=1318027045]
    I have a SCX10 with the honcho body.
    http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-rtr/index.html
    I've geared it down a little and replaced the radio with one of the Hobby King 2.4 surface radios.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15141__Hobby_King_GT_2_2_4Ghz_2Ch_Tx_Rx_USA_Warehouse_.html
    Kind of an entry level I guess but loads of fun none the less.  :)
    It looks like the kits now come with a 2.4 radio system.  ::)
    [/quote]

We should get together and do some scaling some time. We have a few different groups of us around here that get together and go run some trails around the valley. There is a king of the hammers style race coming soon to the valley also that a lot may be interested in. Like a G6 style event if you are familiar with those. Those new Axial receivers will bind and work with your Fly sky also.

[quote author=JROCK2.0 link=topic=216.msg1316#msg1316 date=1318033913]
    well,i was never really into turtle power intil a friend of mine brought his crawler to my house for some maintence.anyhoo i played with it and was just amazed at what it could do/climb.so i will definitely be adding some turtle power to my collection soon.....any suggestions?
    [/quote]From your general description of "turtle power" I would think something like the Wraith would suit you well. It is a capable trail truck and has enough speed to jump and wheelie. It kind of bridges the gap between fast off road driving and crawling. It was made to do both and it does fairly well at it.

[quote author=Golden Child link=topic=216.msg1321#msg1321 date=1318038018]
    Thanks for the video GPS. I doubt I'l ever be into competition crawling, so I don't mind the worm gear drive setup. If I get one it will be just to have something in that category that looks cool and doesn't break the bank :D Besides, the Wraith reminds me of a rock buggy I made years ago using Toyota & Jeep drive train components 8)
    [/quote]

Don't rule out competitive crawling until you come check it out. If you like to hang out in the fresh morning air with a group of rc geeks from all over the PNW it might be for you. We are more of a fun based club with lots of joking and poking fun at each other. We don't force anyone to drive outside their capability or do anything to dangerous. We have classes to cater to all who attend and welcome all. We have young and old men and women who attend and all have a good time. If you are new to crawling the worms are a lot to deal with. They have a lot of "issues" that need to be regularly taken care of to keep them working properly. Look into an Axial based rig and you will be happy
  9. Golden Child

Just picked up a Redcat Racing RS10XT crawler with LOTS of mods. AMAZING how agile and capable it is! Direct drive 4WD and 4WS!! I'll get pics posted tomorrow when I can stage something cool in the daylight ;D ;D ;D
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

Any photos so we can see what it's like?
  11. Golden Child

Sorry, no pics yet :-[ Been crazy busy at work and it's all I can do to fall into the shower at night and go to bed :( I'm working a half day tomorrow (Friday) though, so I'll spend some time cleaning everything up for the swap meet and get some group and individual photos.
  12. goldhellian89

goldhellian89 Registered

so is a Summit not in a rock crawler class? i've always wanted 10th scale summit, and i also been checking out wraiths...im in to bashing a lot, but love climbing up stuff too...any recommendations?
  13. Golden Child

Sounds like a Wraith might work for you. As Highlandcrawler put it - it's a good compromise between crawler and basher. Personally, I'm loving my Red Cat! Insane articulation, four wheel steering, and will climb anything :eek:
  14. Golden Child

Hey highland, I'm taking my crawler down to Turtle Lane for a photo shoot after work. 4:30-ish if you're not busy.
  15. Golden Child

Some photos of my new crawler in action...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

Dang I missed you. I was a little busy today. I have my truck running again and want to do some crawling soon. You up for some tomorrow?
  17. Golden Child

Going to Medford tomorrow for some parts and to pick up a couple more off-road cars. Then I need to get everything cleaned-up and ready for the swap meet in Roseburg. If I get back from Medford before 4:30, then hells yes I'm up for some crawling if we can do it close by :D I've got a couple batteries that I'll need to charge, but should be good to go by late afternoon. Give me a buzz around 4:00 to see where I'm at as far as being ready 541-218-0512. Woohoo, get to learn how to crawl from a pro!!!
  18. goldhellian89

goldhellian89 Registered

Hey GC, how do you like that crawler? is it stock in the photos? pretty interested if its 160 online...
    GOOD LUCK TOMORROW IN ROSEBURG
  19. Golden Child

The Red Cat is GREAT ;D Lots of mods on mine (digital/metal gear servos, stock 1800mah battery & 3800mah battery, Axial lower links, custom shocks, memory foam in the tires, even a full set of new tires).
    The swap meet is looking to be full capacity plus some! Going to be a great time whether I sell anything or not ;)
  20. goldhellian89

goldhellian89 Registered

ok cool...gonna have to show my girlfriend so i can get it for christmas...ive seen a lot of crawlers in gold hill. and i have a large amount of family that lives there...so i might as well jump on the wagon!

and ya, good point. just being around other rc'ers makes me really happy