1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Are You Interested In Starting a 1/8 Scale On-Road Group?

Discussion in 'On Road' started by GPS, Oct 9, 2011.

?

Are You Interested In Starting a 1/8 Scale On-Road Group?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe, If there are a few others to race with.

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. GPS

GPS Registered

I am interested to start a 1/8 scale on-road group to race here in various parking lots in Grants Pass.  I am thinking to base the compettition on the OFNA Ultra GTP 2 Electric.

Here is the car on the  OFNA website: http://www.ofna.com/ugtp2e.php
    Here is a example of a kit cost at A Main Hobbies: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_1570/products_id/186736/n/OFNA-Ultra-GTP-2e-1-8th-Electric-4WD-On-Road-Sedan

Download the manual here: http://www.ofna.com/pdf/34306-GTP2E.pdf

The reason I am thinking to go with a OFNA 1/8 scale is because the good 1/10 scale on-road kits that are available are quite expensive and have carbon fiber chassis.  This is a good thing for racing, except we do not have any indoor on-road tracks in the area and running these expensive 1/10 scale cars on the best parking lots I've been able to find only ruins them pretty quickly.  The OFNA 1/8 scale car I am suggesting has a aluminum chassis and has a somewhat higher ground clearance so it should run in a parking lot well and not get chewed up by stones or other debris we would encounter.

I am suggesting we use electric cars so we don't get hassled due to the noise or possible mess from any fuel spills.

So what do you folks think?
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

I found this video on YouTube that shows the car pretty well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKsQdcLAdDw[/youtube]
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

Here is a guy who clocked 116 mph with the above 1/8 scale OFNA Ultra GTP-2e:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcdiNVylwQE[/youtube]
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

This is the same group of guys in Tampa Florida running the OFNA 1/8 scale GTP-2e.  In this video you can see he reached his speed on 4S LiPo and what looks like a Castle Creations Mamba Monster setup.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ooZx8fMWo[/youtube]
  5. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

I have a gas OFNA Ultra GTP 1/8 th scale=do they make conversions for these-I might be interested in trading it off too
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Why don't you keep it and convert it?  I'd get one so we could race.

Not too many votes so far.  Anybody else interested in starting up a 1/8 scale electric GT on-road group in the area?
  7. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

maybe if the field was larger-there are alot of 1/8 scale buggys/truggys ect. around...and they are pretty cheap to pick up too=add gas ??---on road bodys on 1/8 scale gas buggys??
  8. smitty

smitty Registered

I've got all my eggs in the 1/10 SCT basket.
    I did see a Slash 4x4 with a 1/8 scale on road body that looked awesome.
    And we all know what speeds these Traxxas vehicles are capable of.
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

I pulled the trigger and ordered the OFNA Ultra GTP 2 Electric (P/N 34306) for $209.  Hopefully a few others will come and see it run and get interested enough to also get one.
    Unfortunately A Main Hobbies was out of stock so I ordered from RC Planet and they are slow shippers so I will be lucky if it arrives by end of next week.
    I will start a on-road assembly thread when I get it with some photos.  ...In the mean time I can think of a paint scheme for it.

BTW: A Main Hobbies has some nice 1/8 scale on road bodies.  I am kind of digging the McLaren F1, Ferrari, and the Mercedes Benz DM bodies.
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

Is the big one the GTP?  I like the blue body.  ...Nice dog too!
  11. JROCK

JROCK Registered

i'll race my traxxas 4tecs with the big dogs lol!!!!
  12. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

ya -the big one is the OFNA w/ a McLaren body (if I remember correctly  ??? )- all blue anodized aluminum...I may have had it for approx. 10 years now.  :eek: :eek: time flys--My dog is a pure bread Walker Hound dog,he was a rescue dog from the shelter (thanks ,dogs are mans best friend)....Along w/ family  ;)..................................BTW, I hope you got a chuckle w/ the music selection=cheap "on road" humor  :)
  13. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

pound for pound,those 10th scalers are FAST...Brushless may lay down more tractable power (MAY)-It would take alot of space to out run a 4 tech-they both have plenty of power to weight.So traction and handling would be the issue=both are WAY too cool  8) ,and every one should have at least one of each ;D
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

Hey Pile of Toys -  Have you been to the school on Harbeck, the one with the course and map I posted in another thread?  It's pretty big and well suited for large scale running.

I thought that was a McLaren body but the back looked different.  The McLaren F1 is one of my favorite cars.  I saw Kyosho makes a 1/8 scale McLaren F1 body and I wondered if it would fit my OFNA Ultra GTP-2e.  Who makes your McLaren body?
  15. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

My OFNA came w/ that body , I think they had 2 or 3 chioces at the time -I liked it also=thanks. The graphics kit may be different now,I wouldn't doubt it if the bodys weren't more detailed now also-the rear wing is off of mine too.If your car has the same body post set up as mine , the Kyoso Body would probably fit-along w/ some Parma versions.There used to be a Monte Carlo Nascar Body ( early 80's) that was pretty cool too. I am not sure if I have been to Harbeck School,but I am sure I could find it.