1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Phantom2 Naza F2 output/ Gimbal pitch

Discussion in 'Multirotor' started by Jonas, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Jonas

Jonas Registered

I'm running into a problem. I'm trying to set up my Alexmos based gimbal for Pitch control.

That should be just running a server cable from the F2 on the Naza to the Pitch control on the gimbal.

It works BUT it seems that signal is being modified by the Phantom frame tilt, resulting in the pitch following the pitch of the Quadroter, kinda defeating the purpose.

If I unplug the control or unassign it in the gimbal software, the gimbal cancels out the pitch of the Phantom Liked Id expect, however I can't modify the pitch offset with my X1 on my controller then.

Its been a real head scratcher.
  2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Jonas - I'm not positive I understand what you are trying to do but... That's the way those NAZA outputs are suppose to work. They are controlled by the interenal gyros so you can use a gimbal with nothing but servos on it (no control board). What I think you need to do is use the receivers aux channel which is controlled by the slider on the back of your transmitter. With that you can manually control the gimbal. I don't know how the Phantom 2 is setup, but on my Phantom 1 there is a servo connector on a little board right inside the battery door. Maybe look in your manual and see where they put that channel on yours.

...Tiger
  3. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Thanks Tiger,

Yeah that was it. Basically in the naza there is a Automatic Gain for Roll and/or Pitch. Its basically adding the Gyro's contribution on top of the RC values ( in this case from X1).

The latest firmware on the Phantom entirely hides any of that from you and I was able to revert to an old version that has gimbal settings like the standard Naza.

I turned off the gain for the pitch and Viola! I'm getting just the input from my control on my transmitter.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Jonas, are you using the DJI transmitter for that?
  5. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Yeah, still on the original transmitter.

If I was on a different transmitter, I could have circumvented the Naza altogether.

Its on my list of upgrades to get a better transmitter, for one I'd like to be able to set up a switch to switch profiles on the gimbal in flight or other tasks.

I'm just glad I got this last problem licked, was driving me nuts. Now I get go shoot some more video again, woot! Lolz taken along while for me to recover from that zenmus gimbal loss.

Also my other new toy is that I finally got a decent monitor. So I'll get to try that out......RX-LCD 8502 Diversity monitor.
  6. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Jonas - What are you going to do with the old crashed gimbal?

...Tiger
  7. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Take a look at the FrsKy Taranis, it is on my future list.
  8. Jonas

Jonas Registered

@Tiger, so far nothing. It might be salvageable with some tinkering, it just was above my skill level at the current time.

@Pelagic Pilot, I'll take a peek. I saw that Turngy has a new one out bot 99 bucks ,9XR Pro but I'd probably regret it :) Although it talks to you which might be fun. You can load up audio files off an SD card, so it could be the voice of HAL. "Jonas, Do you think it's wise to keep flying when your battery is so low" Lolz.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Radio_Transmitter_Mode_2_without_module_.html
  9. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Jonas - I was thinking it might be fun to play with. PM me with what you might want for it. :)
  10. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

You can do the same with Taranis, default voice is pretty good, or you can custom.

11. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Is is possible to say record a maneuver? Lets say I wanted to do a 100ft cirle around an object (maybe thats the current position that the quad is at) Could I record or otherwise contruct a sincerio where it would fly backwards 50ft, then start flying the circumference and facing toward that point?

I know I could do the whole datalink ground station thing, but it would be nice to just have a few maneuvers preprogrammed into a radio. Kinda like return to home.
  12. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

The voice associated with a switch position can be custom, but the work of the maneuver is done in the controller, so flipping a switch can say "return to home" but the controller is just getting the switch input and then doing to return to home on it's own.
  13. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Oh sure, yeah I understand that the Quad is doing that functionality in that case. I was thinking more how the waypointing works with ground stations. I suppose one would need a feedback loop to do it right.

I was ponding more like a playback of stick moves. So say I record going up at 80% throttle for 5 seconds, then rotating to the left for .5 seconds waiting a second, left again .5 seconds etc until a make my full 360 (which I wouldn't expect the controller to understand just want I would record) and then already me that the maneuver playback was complete.

That way I could say set up the camera to take pictures ever .5 seconds and I'd get a full panorama with little effort.

that's the sorta stuff that could be handy. that and if Gopro would expose the camera so we could control it's fuctions from the radio as well, even if they just let us set up various profiles on the gopro and we could toggle through, setting up the timelapse photos, or the video. Currently I got to land and fiddle with the menus while its on the gimbal, which is a PIA and slows down the whole process and makes it error prone.
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

Interesting idea. Seems like something a radio manufacturer could implement in software. You should suggest it to the guys at http://deviationtx.com. They make some nice aftermarket software for Walkera radios.
  15. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

You can do a lot of that with the Ardupilot, and control the functions you want with a tablet, no reason why the naza can't do the flying and the ardupilot control the gimbal and camera. the older gopro units can be control via rc rx, just neeed a third party cable adapter.
  16. Crumrine

Crumrine Registered

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to multirotors actually. hahah. I just wanted to introduce myself and maybe follow up on the original topic a little. First, I should mention that I have a decent amount of RC experience in nitro monster trucks, gas and electric airplanes, and now after a break of a few years, I've decided to dive right into multirotors with a Storm 6 GPS running on a nava m v2.

Anyhow, I've got it all built and together complete with a tarot 2d gimbal, gopro hero 3 black, iOSD mini for flight instrumentation, and a industry standard FPV system. Now the machine and I are in the courtship stage. I'm going to test fly it, more like hover it tomorrow. I haven't run into any major problems yet, that I couldn't figure out on my own, except for maybe one. This issue of gimbal manual tilt control. I was under the impression that I could figure out how to connect this thing proper so I could manually tilt it with the aux 2 knob on my dev 7 tx.

I'm beginning to think that I made a mistake in plugging the gimbal into the nava and maybe I need to plug it into the receiver directly. However, I'm so new to smart transmitters, that I don't know how to properly program it. So, I'm going to tinker with it this week. If anyone has any suggestions; let me know.

It'll be nice meeting all of you on here and out in the field. Thanks!

-Crum
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi Crum, Welcome to the forums!

You definitely want to plug the Tarot gimbal into a receiver channel for tilt control. The Naza outputs are really for servo style, or "dumb" gimbals that do not have the stabilization electronics themselves. I should point out that I am presuming that your Tarot gimbal does have the Tarot gyro module.
    Crumrine likes this.
  18. Jonas

Jonas Registered

that said, you CAN put it on the F2 on the Naza. At least that's how you do it on the Phantom. However what you need to do is turn the gimbal gain on the Naza since its just adding the Frames pitch into the mix, which like GPS says you don't want.

With the Phantom I didn't have the luxury though to go straight to the receiver channel as I'm using the controller that comes with it.

That's how I'm running my DYS 3 axis gimbals. Mine uses the Alexmos controler, so the actually connections seem to very a bit, so here's the setup for the Tarot 2d apparently:
    http://www.riot.ch/tarot-t-2d-gimbal-configuration-for-pitch-controll-on-a-dji-phantom/
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

20. Jonas

Jonas Registered

I had the original H3-2d. It was mostly a cost thing and a bit of a thumb in the eye against their proprietary bs and lack of replacement parts to fix it.

Overall I'm liking the DYS. But I could also appreciate the simplicity of Zenmuse and how there was no need to tweak it etc.

So for RC tinkerers I'd probably say go with something other than the Zenmuse, but for folks that look at a soldering iron sideways, I'd say get a Phantom Vision + :) That's a charge and fly sorta deal. If you break it though, you are kinda pooched.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014