1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

On-Road Today - 11:30 AM

Discussion in 'Events' started by GPS, Aug 4, 2013.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

I'm going to go do a little on-road and drifting today at 11:30 at South Middle school on Harbeck if anyone wants to come join in or hang out.
  2. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

I ended up at pbr to see if I could help with the track. Anyone up for meeting monday.
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

I drifted the XRay T3 for a while and it drifts crazy good.  Later in the day I switched the tires to touring car racing slicks and this car is a rocket...Stupid fast.  At half throttle it is super fast and then even at speed punching from half to full throttle it will still break the tires loose and spin.
    The motor did get hot though.  I think I have to either gear it up or motor swap to something weaker.  I'm not sure what gears are in there since it's been so long ago when I built it and never raced it since then.  The motor is a Castle Creations 5700 KV and the ESC is a Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro.  I'm running 2S LiPo with 400 mAh.
  4. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

If its getting super hot u might wanna try going down on the pinion gear! Try dropping down atleast 2 teeth
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Do I need a smaller pinion (less teeth) or larger pinion (more teeth)?
  6. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

To gear down go smaller. There are better options out there for motors if you plan to drift it much. That motor is all about top speed and will be kinda lacking in the needed torque in the right power range for good controled drifting. Drifting may not be your goal with it though so that might not matter. I dont know how you plan to run it. Start by dropping a few teeth on your pinion first and see how it goes. Also how hot is hot ? Are we talking 120 160 180 :eek:?
  7. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Agreed I had the mamba system in the hpi, and was too much. Especially the 4pole motor is a little to much torque. I use the 5700kv fuse witch im pretty sure is 2 pole, and is super smooth. Im running like a 20tooth pinon. It seems to never get to hot. But then again when im drifting im not full out flooring it. I take it pretty easy and use the cars momentum.
  8. highlandcrawler

Does a dedicated drift car need a motor that big? With drifting being a relatively low speed sport focusing on control and grace do you ever spin your tires with all those 5700kv? Seems like it would be hard to prevent spin outs with tire speed that high? I see you said you dont floor it while drifting with that motor so that leads me to believe you arent using the throttle trigger more than about half way? So for drifting you are limited to 50% or so of your controllers throw. I understand you are an experienced drifter and can probably drift anything with any power level but why not run a smaller kv motor with a broader torque range that allows you full throw of the trigger for even more precise control? For the less experienced and learning would that be better? I need explaining why people run such large systems in their drifters. I see guys with wasted drive trains and spotted tires with holes worn through. I blame that mostly on driver error but over powering them has a lot to do with it. Isn't that even what you said happened to your Sakura (sp)? And since we are on motors why don't more run brushed motors? They are the king of control and smoothness so what gives? Is it because they need taken care of and require maintenance? Or is there another driving force about brushless I'm missing?

The class is here chase time to school us  :D
  9. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

Lol well said highland! I know that there are alot of guys that want a duel purpose rig! So with a high kv brushless for onroad and with some minor suspension adjustments and not so much throttle and tire change you could also drift! Well thats my take on it anyways! Not really sure way alot of people have the high kv's! I know my new drifter came with a 15t brushed motor! I plan on keeping it like that and just scale deck it out!
  10. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Your pretty right on both of u. In the sakura has a 20t brushed. So 2 of my drifters are brushed and are both very smooth. My hpi has the the high kv witch is what I use the most. For me having plenty of trigger through is key. Yes I mostly am about half way in the throttle.  But, more trigger gives me better control.  Say light throttle gives me wide drifts and more throttle gives me tighter circles.  And sometimes I do build up speed to where im about 75% down on the trigger. To me seems like more torque will make it spin out much easier.  Which is why I use a bigger pinon.  Though if I had this system in the sukura, it would be super hard to control. The car should be set up for the driver. Which means they all are different.  Mine is super touchy and I make it look easy. then I let someone try it they seem to spin out of control makeing the car whale, I just simply say "you dont need to floor it". Everyone has their own style when drifting.  I just like mine to have a large range of power for mulitple styles slow, fast, wide or tight. I've been practicing stunt drifting much like the videos of drift44. It would be much easier to explain if the class would like to have a feild trip. Because honestly its about practice.

P.s jon if your getting to hot. Im not sure what body your running. But I have a feeling you dont have any airflow going threw it. Which is somthing you need since the car really isn't going fast enough to pick it up. But you were also at south on hot ASSphalt. I usually like to go on cool smooth concrete like the allendale school that has shade.
  11. highlandcrawler

Gotcha. Its driver feel more than anything it sounds. Do the gear ratios and final drives differ pretty greatly car to car? For most types (not all) of rc racing, driving, drifting, crawling whatever we wanna call what we are doing there is sort of a recipe for sucsess. Not a hard guidline mind you but a sort of common ground if you will. Like in offroad most prefer a 13.5-8.5 and crawling a 35t is standard issue and so on. Have you ever drifted with sensored motors? With guys wanting to run brushless it seems to me they would be the natural choice due to the increased control and throttle respone but I see far more sensorless setups. Are any of your cars super easy to get the motor in and out of? We should get together and try a bunch of different motors and gears out in one for fun. I have a fleet of different motors brushed, sensored, and non sensored we could try? I know I could learn a ton and you could play with a bunch of different motors and maybe find something you like without wasting a bunch of money.
  12. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

The motors are easy to get to, and I think it would be great to test different motors ect.. im pretty much am using what I get my hands on so am limited and cant anwser some questions.  I refer to rcdriftrevolution.com for all different types of applications. I'm probably gonna go out this evening and drift since all my bodies have lights I like to go when it gets cooler before sunset.
  13. highlandcrawler

when and where? I wouldnt mind coming and bsing a little. There is motive behind all these questions believe it or not. Not ready to say why but ..............
  14. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

just need a time my friend i dont have lights on my drifter but im itching to get my new car out there and start getting those new tires broke in!! highlandcrawler he always goes down to allendale school to drift under the canopy!
  15. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

But....... ..  spill it. Lol. I'll prob be at the morman church by south somtime after dinner. I usually go to allendale in the day. I'll post before I leave.
  16. highlandcrawler

nothing super special just thinking of reviving my mini truck drifter. Think onroad scaler basicaly. And ya post up if you want some company. No homo lol
  17. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Haha. Yeah no homo. Lets see that mini truck
  18. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Leaving to chruch for some evening drifting.  All welcome to join.
  19. highlandcrawler

cool im heading out then
  20. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Not sure if u came by. Im bout to roll out. Came with 3 cars. All broke down soon as I started quess 8 should have checked everything first.