1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zealand 4K Time-lapse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by w00d, May 4, 2014.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Hey guys, sorry for this not being {LOL, again :confused:} RC related content
    but this video is so well done I had to share with everyone. And I'm sure
    it's needless to say but BEST viewed full-screen, high-def ...

Hope you enjoy as much has I did ???
    ~w00d

Golden Child likes this.
  2. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what equipment they were using to get 4k UHD. Their equipment description lists two Canon DSLR's the 6D which has a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (30 fps/25fps/24fps), and the 550D whose max is 1920 x 1080 (29.97, 25, 23.976 fps) -slightly slower. They used the same software programs I use and used some really good motorized slider/SteadyCam mounts and time lapse shutter controllers. Their YouTube description says it's 4k, but there's no option to watch in 4k, only 1080p.
    Don't get me wrong, I have 27" 1080p monitors hooked up to my computer and watching this full-screen was truly impressive. Excellent cinematography and the depth of field in their shots is incredible!
    I am currently sourcing new equipment to upgrade my video capabilities to display 4k on all three monitors, but the choices are limited thus far, and still very expensive ;) Probably won't pull the trigger for the upgrade until next year sometime. Thanks for sharing wood! This is always great footage to watch to keep us video/photo buffs seeking to improve our skills :D
  3. w00d

w00d Registered

Yup, I tried 4K, 2060p and my screen just went black ???
    Best RES I'm able was 1440p but the VID doesn't run smooth.
    Best RES I can do where it runs smooth or when it's enjoyable to watch is 1080p.

Smoothest, or the very best of course was 720p but the RES stunk full-screen!

Although, I have a low bandwidth account and it spent too much time buffering at high RES, cus I'm too cheap ... LOL :cool:

Anyhow GC I'm glad you liked it,

I also thought the cinematography was impressive, great use of motion and depth of field ... made it look 3D.
    Hey, did you notice some of the stars in the night footage were bright enough to light up the clouds?
    I was surprised when I saw that.
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  4. Golden Child

I did notice the night shots. That's an area of great interest for me! I've been working on naturally lighting my night shots ever since I took photo workshops back in Yosemite. My biggest limitation is lense quality. Although, I noticed the lenses these guys used are of lesser quality that my current stable so it gave me inspiration to extend my efforts :)
  5. Golden Child

101511_2578.jpeg space233-stars-over-half-dome_63853_600x450.jpeg sky-web.jpeg

Believe it or not all these photos are taken in the middle of the night. In the first photo that's actually the moon shining behind the tree. I have hundreds more but the actual files are over 10gb each. These are just a few examples of what we were doing so many years ago. I'm really looking forward to another trip in the next couple of years with my newer equipment! I've got one that's my absolute favorite. It was taken from Glacier Point overlooking the whole valley. The stars were so bright and the sky so clear that if you take the stars out of the sky it looks like daytime! You can actually see the valley floor, river, and all the trails clearly :D
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  6. w00d

w00d Registered

Those are great, I really like the first one allot ... Second one I like but feels a bit Christmas'y, the one star and it's 'sunbursts' maybe? Was that from the lens or added?
    ... Yup, back in the day I experimented with night shooting and was impressed at how some shots looked like it was daytime.
    I also would kill to shoot a location like that, I'm jealous, LOL
    Again great shots GC
  7. Golden Child

Thanks w00d. Yes, the second shot starbursts were achieved with a starburst filter on the lens. This photo actually hung in the lobby of the Ahwahnee Hotel as part of a Chrismas exhibit with seven other photographers in my class :) To be considered for the honor all photos had to be completely untouched after initial exposure. It's not my favorite, but it is the only one of mine to have ever been on display, so that's my 15 minutes ;)
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Great work Mike. The one with the star really is Christmas card quality.
  9. w00d

w00d Registered

Hey, I generally liked it and the Christmas thing is only what it made me think, first impressions don't ya
    know :confused: LOL, Sorry for the colours, I had a sudden URGE to DO something Christmas'y :confused:

Technically speaking, composition, contrast, color and the rest are all in place, it's all working for the image.
    ... but if asked to be honest and it's only one mans opinion the starbursts or sunbursts are generally not one
    of my favorite affects. Although in this case it works well at being the Christmas Star or simply conveying or
    telling the story ... Entering my humility "I guess I'm having mixed feelings!?!"

Again the first image was simple love at first site! There is no need to saying anything else.

If to add to my résumé under the heading of interests I would say this type of photography, astrophotography
    I also aspire toward. As a KID and young adult (young dufus) I was into astronomy, with telescopes (good ones
    also not the "cheap" consumer crap) equatorial mounts and all the high tech toys of the day. Today even my
    sites 'tutorial' page has a whole section of TUTs (links)dedicated to learning astrophotography. I would guess this
    is what motivates me into posting videos like the one posted.

LOL, enough reminiscing ...
    ... I have to get out and get some nights shots of my own ~ There is no FUN in the Big City :cool:

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  10. w00d

w00d Registered