1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New to the fourm, just checking in.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jonas, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Hey folks, I just joined and thought I'd say hey.

While Grants Pass native, I just recently started my voyage into RC when I picked up a Phantom 2 Quadrotor. I'm in the process of learning to fly and setting up FPV. I've got a lot to learn and this forum looks like a great resource.

Thanks!
  2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Welcome to the forum Jonas. I'm a Phantom guy as well. There are some others on here to. I'm in the process of installing the FPV stuff in mine, but it seems like it's taking me forever to actually get it done. Hope you'll join all of us flying on Sunday mornings at Redwood school (Lenard Road).

...Tiger
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi Jonas, Welcome to the forums!

If you are a Grants Pass native you probably already know the school Tiger mentioned, but just in case you can see a map in the events section of these forums via the top "Events" menu.
    Here is a link:
    http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?events/monthly
  4. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Yep GPS, thanks I know exactly we're its at, in fact my father went to the original school which of course is long since gone the way of the drive-in ;)

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

@Tiger I'm still waiting on my video transmitter and receiver. I ordered them from HobbyKing before I realized they we're not in the US, so not sure how long it's gonna take get here. Have a mounting bracket for the monitor which I have got. I look forward to pulling that all together and getting to fly FPV.
  5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Jonas - HobbyKing is going to take pretty much right on three weeks (USPS). When you order from them, always check the US Warehouse (select at top of their page) to see if what you want is available there. It's in Washington and only takes a couple days to deliver to GP. They don't have everything China has, but they have a lot. They are especially good for buying LiPo's.

Even with your wait, I'm sure you'll get yours together before I do. I can't seem to get my act together. :) I'll get there eventually. Maybe you getting yours done will shame me into finishing mine. I've had all the stuff for months. :-(

Hope to see you out there Sunday. ...Tiger
  6. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Welcome Jonas, as everyone said, nice to see another RC person join up. FPV is fun, but actually doing it is a learning curve, but you have started out with a really nice platform to do it with since it has features to help keep you level when need be. What are you planning to use for viewing the FPV? TV screen or goggles?
  7. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Thanks for the Hobby King tip. I've found so far my ebay experience has been better than expected for getting parts.

For the FVP, I decided to go the Monitor route for now. I've seen some folks that used Oculous Rift for their FPV goggle solution, and thought I'd wait for that to mature once the commercial version comes out since I could have some other uses for them (game developer). Also, thought it it might be better to be able to quickly switch from FPV to just looking at it so I don't get tangled in a tree to often.
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

9. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Yep. Definitely something I'd like to try at some point.
  10. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I have mostly used a monitor in the past, and it does work. Even with goggles I would always recommend having a monitor running as a second feed. Good for other people to watch or as a back up. You will find switching from FPV view to looking at the aircraft is nearly an impossible task if there is any distance. They are silent and tiny when a few hundred feet out. And the FPV makes you totally lost as to where it could be. I tell someone next to me to point directly at it and give me verbal clues as to where it's at. Then it's pretty easy to see that way.
  11. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Jonas - Heard you were at the field yesterday and I missed you. I have church in the morning so I don't get there until 11:30 or so. Maybe I'll catch you next week.

...Tiger
  12. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Well we didn't get out there until everyone left ;) But I did get my parts for the FVP and so I flew around a bit to get a feel for it. Pretty hard to see on the monitor. I see how its probably gonna be necessary to do some goggles at some point.

Definitely need to get some real cloverleaf antenna, and also need to pick up a Xt60 connector for the battery, just jippoed it together since I was exited to see it work and was the 1st day without rain :)
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

Do you have a sun shade on your monitor? Look at the photo in this thread for an example:
    http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?threads/ready-made-rc-10-and-12-inch-video-monitors.4701/

You can buy them from ReadyMadeRC, among other places, or some guys just make their own from a cardboard box.

10 Inch Sun Shade:
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...d=1602&zenid=6bad459f94c8e1b100e2cff579fe568d

8 Inch Sun Shade:
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...d=1601&zenid=6bad459f94c8e1b100e2cff579fe568d

7 Inch Sun Shade:
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...d=2221&zenid=6bad459f94c8e1b100e2cff579fe568d
  14. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Yep thanks, yeah I hacked one together from cardboard for the short run. Slowly tightening things up. Still got a little bit of jippo wireing that I'll resolved once my connectors come in. Overall the Phantom is pretty set, final (yeah right) touch for now will be some cloverleaf antennas that should get here soon. The FPV video is a bit sketchy with the default linear antennas and I'm hoping that clear it up with the new ones.
  15. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

What frequency and power are you using?
  16. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Channel 1 on a Boscam ts 353 4oo mw transmitter which looks like 5705mhz.

The Receiver is a RC805, and the picture shows up on Channel 8 which is kinda odd.
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

18. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

Hobby King looks to have a better price too, thanks. How are you liking that module so far?
  20. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Well I don't have any frame of reference. but, it works. There are times when I get some garbage in the picture but that could just be an interference thing. I'm hoping that with the cloverleaf antenna that I'll getting a better overall S/N ratio. I thought 4oomw would be plenty of power, I probably should have put more thought to upgrading though, since this doesn't work with the Fatshark goggles.

It would be nice to jump up to HD, not so hot having bluravision.

The DJI Mini ODS seems to be working well, specially once I turned off the ODS on the gopro. (that was pretty confusing looking with them both on )
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014