1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New David Video

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Pelagic Pilot, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

David has done a nice new Tricopter FPV video. Love the tractor and the tree's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPe_OwNh9kY&hd=1
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

interesting box thing he is carrying.  Any details on that?  It looks like he's god some cool safety power switches and a LCD screen and it looked like a helical directional antenna.
  3. LEM504

LEM504 Registered

A rather interesting solution for camera vibration in his build  link.

Anyone tried it?

http://rcexplorer.se/projects/2012/07/the-tricopter-v2-6hv/

Larry
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I did not realize he had done a 2.6, lots to read, thanks for posting.
  5. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

OK, so I finally read this, this video (above) was shot with the V2.6 and the new wire mount. No post process stabilization was used, straight from the GoPro.

And Tiger, this flight used a direct connection, .15 Sec for 60 Deg, 57 Oz In. tail servo. Very smooth.
  6. Tiger

Tiger Registered

So his servo has more than twice the torque that yours has.  Is that going to work direct drive?

...Tiger
  7. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

The remains to be seen, but 1 inch out from the pivot point is about the middle of the motor. I don't see needing 3.5 Lbs of force to move that motor, just seems overkill, but will find out soon enough.
  8. Tiger

Tiger Registered

There is no question it will move it.  It's the speed, current, and smoke I'm wondering about.  It would be easy enough to measure actually.  These are the things that make it all so interesting.  :)

...Tiger
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

If the motor provides 3 Lbs of force (random Lbs value, insert your own if you don't like mine) and the motor pivots on the hinge pin which is centered and the servo's fulcrum point is 1 inch from that pivot center how much force is the servo actually dealing with?

Am I correct to presume that moving the servo's connection closer to the pivot point would require more servo strength and moving it outwards would require less?
  10. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Does not really matter where it connects, moving a given mass at a given speed requires the same power. The issue would be acceleration, and lots of direction changes. A servo operates in "full throttle" mode when it wants to move, there is no easing into a move.
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

I probably didn't ask my question properly.  Anyway Wikipedia had a explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever
  12. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Ah, ok. Well yes, changing the leverage allows you to move more weight, but you then move it slower and at a less distance. Imagine your car in first gear at 2000 engine rpm. Has a lot of power to pull a load up the hill, but slowly. but it this case I am looking at a 1:1 direct mount ratio for the tail motor pivot. So I actually don't have any option at all for changing the ratio. I am basically bolting the servo output directly to the pivot point. This is just version 7 since I started trying to make this, so it will most likely change over the next few months until I get it right.
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

Have you done any test flying?
  14. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

No, only one version made it from paper to reality and that was last night, there are some changes to be made after I was able to hold it my hands, but this one will continue on to being test flown. But the method is already proven as it is exactly the V2.5 assembly, just made to fit the DJI. Trying to make it look clean is all the reasons for changes. It needs to look like it was meant to be on there, not some after thought thing like so many other designs we see. It is tough though, but getting closer.