1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW CAMERA: ION Air Pro + ION Air Pro Plus

Discussion in 'News' started by GPS, Mar 28, 2012.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

Features

Aimed at professional and amateur photographers, adventurers, adrenalin junkies and recreational sports enthusiasts alike, this product offers users very clear advantages:

- Lightweight - lighter than 4.5 ounces including the ION the GO WiFi PODZ attachment, it's one of the lightest action cameras in the industry.

- No raincoat required - waterproof to 30ft, complete with waterproof microphone to enable high quality audio while offering protection from the elements. This device does not need an additional waterproof outer casing.

- No strings attached - the ION the GO WiFi PODZ attachment offers real time shoot & share capability.

- One finger to the competition - simple to use one touch function allows simultaneous camera start and record all with one finger.

- Long life - 1800mAmp battery booster allows camera unit to charge twice without the need for an external power source to provide over 7 hours of battery life.

- Wide angle lens - provides ability to record in HD with a field view of up to 170 degree.

- HD recording - Up to 1080p video resolution.

- 5 megapixel stills - that can be sequenced one at a time, three in one second or one photo every 10,20 or 30 seconds to create amazing step photo video.

- Free Cloud storage - 8GB of free Cloud storage will be provided with every ION action camera purchase for storage and sharing of video content.

Read more and see photos and pricing via the source link.

Source:
    http://www.iontheaction.com/
  2. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Are you freaking serious!? I just bought a new GoPro (should be here tomorrow), but this thing looks like the new ultimate FPV camera, it has composite video out, HDMI video out, USB and WIFI connectivity and it's round/small and it's waterproof on it's own without a stupid case around it!

But I don't see a price for it, might be a lot.........
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

The full blown kit with WiFi is expected to be around $475.
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Oh, well that is a bit more, but without WIFI maybe it's close to the $300 GP? At any rate this is something to watch.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

What I heard is pricing starts at about $365 for the camera alone then $395 if you want the bike mount and tripod kit and going up to $475 for the full WiFi kit once it's available in about four weeks.
  6. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Wow!  That looks really interesting.  I've just never been able to get excited about the GoPro.  Don't like the size, weight, profile, and funky case.  I have to admit it's a good camera though which is why it owns the market.  I'll be really interested to see how it goes with this one.

...Tiger
  7. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Brief review of it:  http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/28/ion-air-pro-hands-on/

There is a video at the bottom of the page that is horrible, but it does show a couple things of interest.  The lens distortion doesn't look too bad and there is something really strange going on with the way the camera deals with motion.  It's like blocks of the image get out of sync and lag.  I've never seen anything quite like it before.  It's not the same as what I've seen in other cameras and it's a little alarming for something this expensive.  We'll have to see what develops after the camera hits the market.  I sure like the size, looks and features of it.

...Tiger
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Think I have to agree with Tiger, yup can't complain about the quality of the shots w/ the GoPro but I too am not all excited about it ... Just IMO hasn't got the lines for aerial work which is very unlike the helmet cams which does
    ... Then again if they gave me one or couldn't find something better in the same price range then I would love it [​IMG] The GoPro with it's NEW options such as the WiFi it looks like they are trying to WIN me over though
  9. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

The only reason why I bought the GoPro now is because I need a camera now, and the GP has the composite out, and takes really good video. But most of all it's because I can still get the 720 x 30FPS model for $149.00 (The 960). 720 makes for very good YouTube videos which is all I want to really do anyway.

Now FedEx is saying it won't be here till Monday  :(
  10. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    LOL, I do love shopping with the internet but that's the one thing I hate about it, I do hate waiting for my goodies to arrive!
    Hey don't get me wrong I think the GoPro is functionally a very fine camera ... It's just the looks I don't like so much and we know buying on looks alone is probably not the best way to shop ;)
  11. Tiger

Tiger Registered

PP - I'm with you on the resolution.  I feel somewhat the same way about digital cameras.  I really don't want some huge sensor.  I'm not making billboards!  Generally as big as I ever want the pic to end up is 1024x768.  Most of what I email or post is just 800x600.  Anything much larger than that doesn't fit on many screens and takes unnecessarily long to send.  I think for FPV the best feature of the GP is its being able to output NTSC while it's recording to flash.  As far as I know, the jury is still out on whether or not the ION can do that.  It says it has a composite output, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can use it simultaneously like the GP.  I sure hope you can, because that's what I need to.  I don't want to have to have two cameras in my plane.  What attracts me to the ION is the sleek profile.  That's the only downside to the GP as far as I can see.  It's just a little bit in the clunky side for some applications.  Then again for some installations it's just fine.  I just hope the ION can match the performance of the GP.  The artifacts in the video I saw in that review give me great pause.  We'll see!

...Tiger
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

I am looking for at least 1080P resolution in the camera I want for aerial videography.  Let YouTube do the scaling automatically for sharing with people.  Personally I don't want my inbox getting filled with video files.
  13. Tiger

Tiger Registered

You can say that because you have that screaming internet connection.  The rest of us poor slobs are just once notch above dial up. :)

...Tiger
  14. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

I'm with Outreach Internet. Its a wireless internet service for those of us that don't have access to cable or DSL. I have 3Mbps up/1.5Mbps down @ $39.99/month. They have speeds up to 12Mbps for anyone needing it. I've been with them for about 4 years and can feel good about recommending them. Check them out if you're looking for better speeds :)

www.outreachinternet.com
  15. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Are you sure about those speeds?  I've never seen UP be faster than DOWN.  I'd love to have 3MB if it's DOWN.

...Tiger

UPDATE:  Just checked.  That 3 is DOWN.  Great!
  16. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Haha, old brain trying to give specs when its tired ::) Yes - 3 down, 1.5 up.
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

This is our's:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 82.38 Mbps (10.3 MB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5.23 Mbps (0.65 MB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 15 ms
  18. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Dang, that's fast. I just got:

17.38 Mpbs Down
    2.75 Mpbs Up

And I still can't watch an HD Youtube without it sticking all the time  :mad:
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

We watch 1080P YouTube videos all the time on the flat screen in the living room via a Logitech Revue (GoogleTV) and they never hang and look amazing.
  20. Bret

Bret Registered

The test video left a lot to be desired. I like the small size, but my GPHD keeps me pretty happy.

I am still waiting for camera's with 1080p - 60fps or higher. I want super high def slow motion! Not so much for RC but for 3-wheeler/dirt bike videos.

And I agree GPS, I played some videos from a dirt bike ride yesterday on my 46" LED LCD and they looked great!