1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

More NAV Lights, more LED

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by w00d, Dec 19, 2011.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    I'm going to do another helicopter w/ NAV Lights jst deciding which bird. This is the first NAV install I did

We have to choose one of the following two, the TRex 450 which is larger than teh GAUI ep 255. Although I'm leaning toward the TRex 450, opinion thoughts [​IMG]

Which --->
                      ALIGN TRex 450 --->  [​IMG]    [​IMG]  or the GAUI ep255 --->  [​IMG]

Anywayz this is the START of another NAV Light Install

[shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow]
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

How about on a Beam E4?
  3. w00d

w00d Registered

Now there's an idea ... but we would have to wait and I'm bored now. When I get hands on then I'll simply add NAV light to the E4 then.
    Thinking actually all my heli's should have NAV's, at least thats my intention. This is only the second to have the lights installed ;)
  4. GPBill

GPBill Registered

No call to be bored at your house, I already hear an OD green heli calling for you.  ;D
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

I agree with GPBill - I want to see you fly that Huey in your livingroom!  ;)
  6. w00d

w00d Registered

No call to be bored at your house, I already hear an OD green heli calling for you.  ;D
    [/quote]

Oh alright y'all shamed me into it, my poor old TRex is getting beat up again {LOL} Better yet need to re-think this, as it wouldn't take much to buy anther frame/boom, take the electronics from another bird mainly the GYRO and Servos them being the most costly and build for the UH1 ... The main thing I would be going for is keeping the TRex as is. Instead of the Trex and the Uh1 being the same bird it's time to separate into two separate Heli's. However this will take longer but my darling TRex gets to stay my darling ...

So the NAV Lights are going on the TRex, w00t
  7. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Yoda, I think we've done it.  ;)  ;D
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

Well I do think in itself the TRex is overall overweight, especially with that monster scale head adding even more ...
    If I build the UH1 from the ground up I CAN build w/ keeping the weight as low as possible
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

Won't a different motor help and be easier?
  10. w00d

w00d Registered

Yup this is why I'm thinking of using my 4S Motor. Will give me an extra 1/2K RPM, could even go more
    around 4k but at those RPM's I'd be pushing the bearings. Even though we have Ceramic Main Bearings and
    they are designed for ultra high speed I'd have to be dead on with the balancing at 4K ... but still it's all possible ;)
    And this is not forgetting the Tail will be spinning at 4 x 4K so again the bearings are going to be the question!

FYI: For reference this is the hover of the Trex 450 on 3S

[​IMG]
  11. w00d

w00d Registered

Been some time since an update ... So here's an update ... Yes I decided it was my TRex 450 that's getting the lights ;)

I finally got around to finishing this little project, finished installing the LEDS so all that is needed now is to make some
    photo's and a Video.

Ultra Bright LED's (Strobs) installed w/ one RED on teh Boom (middle), w/ two WHITE's on the Tail-Fin and w/ one WHITE
    on the front of the Canopy, but not LIT in this photo. Today I finished her off by installing two 5mm LED, GREEN and RED
    NAVigation Lights into the Canopy

Also went with a lower Limiting Resistor on the 5mm's for a much brighter effect this time. The hope and wish is the lights
    will operate like "real" NAV Lights in so much as they may help with the "Orientation"

[​IMG]
              [size=0.6em]Click for Larger[/size]

Thanks for looking
          [shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow]

EDIT: More ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Very nice, it's got that "Red Right Returning" look to it.  :D
  13. w00d

w00d Registered

Thanks PP

... If you haven't seen the GAUI's flashing sequence it's exactly the same sequence which is demoed in this ---> Video

For the sequences and the placement of the Strob's I was going for a "scale" look which is copied from a Bell UH-1 Huey ---> Animated Diagram

Eventually if and when I get the Huey build completed it also will have that same setup for the NAV Lights ... Tested and seen in the video here ---> Video
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

Great photos w00d!  I like this one best:

[​IMG]

It's a little darker and looks very professional.

P.S.  I also like your w00d floor!
  15. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Thanks PP

... If you haven't seen the GAUI's flashing sequence it's exactly the same sequence which is demoed in this ---> Video

For the sequences and the placement of the Strob's I was going for a "scale" look which is copied from a Bell UH-1 Huey ---> Animated Diagram

Eventually if and when I get the Huey build completed it also will have that same setup for the NAV Lights ... Tested and seen in the video here ---> Video
    [/quote]

So I wonder how they accomplished a flash routine in the mid 1960's?
  16. w00d

w00d Registered

I remember "Strob" kits being offered out of the Heathkit Catalog back in the 70's ... If memory serves the microprocessor come about in the mid 60's, maybe earlier ... Before that we needed transistors, and first Transistor came out around 1947. And the first strobe light was used in 1930 but this one I don't know how it was built ...
  17. w00d

w00d Registered

[​IMG] haha, don't ya know everything around here is "w00d" [​IMG]

Hey did I tell ya I had another flood on this brand new floor. LOL, this time the flooding was caused by the person living in the apt above. Ya know what happens to this type of flooring when it's gets wet, more specifically what happens when this type of flooring drys out. The planks shrink and shorten, now I have 1/4" gaps where the planks (should) butt to each other in the area where the flooding was concentrated. Meh looks OK in most areas but in some it looks like turd

EDIT: See Damage - TIP: Don't let it get WET ...
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

You've had a couple incidents with water pipes it seems.  I would start to be concerned with mold in the walls.
  19. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Hey wOOd, the lights are looking good on the 450.  :)

Is that the floating type laminate flooring?  ;D
  20. w00d

w00d Registered

Thanks Bill ... When on my 450 I to like look ... Maybe I'll do a video today, maybe

Yup it's floating laminate ... Other day I had a stupid thought which is not all that surprising given to what I can think up {LOL} It's not real wood in so much as what's seen is not "real" wood. Laminate is only a representation of wood, first layer is only a "picture" on a wood dust (w/ a plastic binder) base then a Foam bottom layer. Factor Made or one of those "How-it's Made" shows did a bit on making Laminate Flooring

Nope Yoda NO mold as that all was taken care of with the repair. That first repair because the flood originated in my bathroom and went down they only needed to replace 1/3 of the walls. Second repair (when they get to starting) as the damage is less extensive and the water only came in through the kitchen will only need a 1 x 8 foot of wall replaced