1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Losi ten sct issues

Discussion in 'Off Road' started by l8rg8r, Mar 7, 2014.

1. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

My sct has destroyed both front and rear ring gears in the differentials it's got me wondering if this is a design flaw or a fluke or maybe the mesh wasn't set right has anybody else had this problem or know anything about it
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

We don't have a Losi Ten SCT but I know the stock Axial AX10 ring gears are some kind of pot metal and are rather cheap. We swapped ours out with Axial's own machined steel spiral cut gears and they have been just great.

Horizon Hobby shows part numbers LOSB3572 (rear) and LOSB3571 (front) as the replacement parts. They don't mention the material but they look like steel in the photos.

I wonder of you have something binding? Or were you doing some crazy jumps and landing while still on the throttle?
  3. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

No jumps or anything crazy this is one of the trucks I just got in trade I think it was this way before but who knows for sure and it doesn't really matter a deals a deal I've only gotten 1 1/2 tanks of fuel through it then the spur gear went wile fixing that I noticed the rear ring gear issue and while tearing into that I noticed the front ring gear issue they are cast or pot metal of some kind not steel maybe aluminum I want to fix it bad this thing rips 50mph + and that's right out of the box no real performance tuning I'm really liking the Ross system and the 3.4 engine sure has the power and the truck seams to handle well I ordered some proline badlands for it anyway I was hoping somebody here could offer some insight into why typhus ring gear issue came to be my only thought on it is maybe the run/pinion mesh wasn't correct but I'm not sure guess we will see
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Good luck. Let us know what you find out. How about some video of that thing tearing it up?
  5. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

Yep vids will be forth coming
  6. deven

deven Registered

I has a mini lst that kept doing that what I found to be the problem was the pinion gear was too far away from the ring gear so it was running on just the top of the teeth on the gears. What I found helped was some spacers to help get the pinion closer to the ring gear, but too many it will bind just my 2 cents
    GPS likes this.
  7. deven

deven Registered

Ehh had*
  8. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

Thx I'm kinda hoping that is what the problem is somebody on a different site said that after they are broke in go back and recheck the mesh between the ring and pinion and adjust as needed