1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for dead Proto-X

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Tiger, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I know many of us got the Proto-X nano quad around Christmas. One of the kids I know got one and a motor died. You can't buy the motors from Estes so we're on the lookout for another dead quad to use for parts. If anybody has one or ends up with one and would sell if at a reasonable price, I'd be interested in getting it to help my friend get back in the air.

Thanks! ...Tiger
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Could the motors be similar to some of the small E-Flite Blade helicopters, like the mCX or mSR? These would also be available in left and right turning versions.
  3. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Good thought, but these motors are totally different. I did find the right size motors in three different micro servos and ripped them out. Problem was that they were wound different so they didn't work. The proto uses a much higher power winding that anything I can find. I finally gave up on a substitute. The motors have to be the exact right one or it either won't lift off or it will yaw till the cows come home. Absolutely need one out of another Proto-X. The motors are available in Europe from Hubsan (they make the Proto for Estes), but you have to buy four and with freight it's almost $30. Better to pay $39 and get an entire new quad.

...Tiger
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

That's a dilema. I just looked and the Blade mQX motors are $10 each which cost more than the entire Proto-X after you buy four. I guess that Proto-X is just another throw away job like the helicopters you get at the mall.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

6. Tiger

Tiger Registered

John - So glad you sent me this. This is the same as the Traxxas QR1 that I have and is actually a Hubsan Q4 (H111). The motors on this are twice as big as the Proto-X so they won't work. BUT... This is still super great, because this has the Hubsan Tx that the kid also wants to buy and that was going to cost $20. If he orders this, he'll get his new Tx (works with the Proto-X and gives it more functions) and end up with another really nice little quad for just $10 more! Also, this gives him something to fly until we can turn up some motors for the Proto-X (he's determined to get that fixed).

If anyone is interested, the Tx on this one has some huge advantages over the factory Tx for the Proto-X. This gives it trims on the left stick, dual rates, and the ability to turn the lights on and off. The high rates on this Tx are high enough to do flips (not possible on stock Tx).

...Tiger
  7. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

Hey guys quick question my dad and I have always been interested in the quads. What would be a good cheap one to start with? Would the one you showed in that link be a good one? I was thinking of getting the traxxas qr1 but if I can get 2 for the price of one of those that would be cool. Thanks.
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Tiger - I'm glad you found this useful. I hope your friend gets his Proto-X sorted out.

Headhoncho - Tiger tells me that the Estes Dart quadcopter on sale that I posted is the same as the Traxxas QR-1 and they sell for $79 usually so for $29 it is a really good bargain. You will probably have to act fast since I can imaging others will jump on this too.
  9. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

So they are just a generic one pretty much?
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

Tiger says they are made by Hubsan. Read his post #6 above in this thread.
  11. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Guys - After a closer look, Estes seemed to have cheapened up this little quad a bit. Compared to the QR1 (I have one), the transmitter is a little different. Notice that this one doesn't have the digital readout. I'll be the first to say that this doesn't matter much since the lcd doesn't really display anything that matters. The fact that it's different at all just makes you worry about what else they may have changed. Nowhere does the Estes say the quad is 6 axis like the QR1 is. That would be very significant if it's not. The QR1 comes with two batteries and this comes with one (not a big deal). Lastly, the Estes doesn't say anything or show in the video that it has dual rates. I'm just spooked about this one. The early Estes Dart also had the lcd according to a listing on Amazon.

Now lets get to something more significant. Do I think the Estes or the Traxxis would be a good first quad? The answer is a quick NO! This is not what you want to start with. I love these quads, but they are really not something to learn on. What I would suggest without hesitation is the Syma quad ($34) from xheli.com. This is currently the best starter quad out there without a doubt. It's just awesome and it's tough as nails. This is the way to go if you're getting started. I did a post about this in the quadcopter section a while back. You can look there for more detail. Here is a link to the Syma quad: http://www.xheli.com/56h-x1-spaceship.html

...Tiger