1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightworks (free) Video Editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by w00d, May 12, 2014.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Question for our video jockeys out in the world, have you heard of Lightworks,
    what if anything can you tell me apart from it has a steep learning curve? Anyone have hands-on experience?

Yup, I have downloaded, and I am giving the software a try. I've also done a few of their tutorials. Lightworks look like it's well supported given the amount of instructional videos I found on their site. First impressions, it seems for a "free" video editor it does look very powerful even when compared to the Pro version costing $279.99 us ... I mean I didn't see anything in the Pro version I can or might use or even miss!?! But it has ALL the tools such as Colour Grading, Dynamic Range editing, White Balance adjustments and more with allot of 'pretty' looking filters. ALL the tools a video-photographer would expect.

Apparently (just to name a some) this editor was used to create Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, Mission Impossible and Batman.
    Although I am assuming they didn't use the free version but the Pro, LOL ...

Related: I did find Yoda's post, Lightworks for Windows 11.1 released: drops HASP and has 30 day free Pro Trial
    ... But this version now at 11.5 is completely FREE, it is NOT the 30 day trial of the Pro version ;)

~w00d
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

So if you get the free version is it full of nag screens and ads?

...Tiger
  3. w00d

w00d Registered

Nope, NO NAG Screens, nor Ads, nor Watermarks in our content,
    ... if it had I wouldn't have tried it myself nor would I have shared, anyone of those is certainly a deal-breaker.
    ... I wouldn't do that to my friends ...

The BIG limitation I found that I didn't know when posted was with the video output formats being offered between the two.

Whereas the Pro version offers all the usual suspects, DVD, Blu-Ray, Mpeg, etc and even supports many Pro Camera RAW
    formats, such as for RED Epic and others. Really too many to list!

But the FREE version is fully-functional however it only makes Youtube VIDs or outputs only Youtube Video file Format.
    ... and that I found disappointing
    :(

Oh, and there is also a resolution limitation, the free ver only outputs 720p, nothing higher.
    ... I guess they don't mind people learning the software but to do any "real" work we certainly would need the buy the Pro version.

PS
    FYI: Here is my source: Best free video editing software: 9 top programs you should download.
    Tip, as always be careful with the installers, don't do a blind install or automatic install.

Hit custom install to avoid the junk add-ons.
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  4. w00d

w00d Registered

Another FREE giveaway, this time a pretty good photo-editor
    ... Apparently they have released version 16 so the creator, Zoner in cooperation
    with Cnet are giving away version 15 but only for a limited time.

This is the FULL app with NO annoying marketing gimmicks, it's completely free!

~w00d
  5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

wOOd - Do you know anything about GIMP? I've never tried it, but I see a lot of references to it in the forums.

...Tiger
  6. w00d

w00d Registered

I've tried GIMP and thanks for asking :D
    ... The application is powerful and does everything expected of an photo-editor.

The only problem I have is with it's interface but that is only because I'm so
    use to working with my go-to editor it can be "FUN" finding the functions and doing
    what I want. Anyhow, I'm sure you know editor preferences or what we like can
    be a very personal thing ...

In short expect GIMP's interface to be different than what you are use to with other
    editors, but not that much different. As they say "what works for one might not
    work for another."

Yes, GIMP is a very capable editor however "GIMP’s strength lies in the available plugins"
    Best suggestion and it's the same as with the any, it costs nothing to try
    ... Well except you're time ...

~w00d

PS: Zoner Photo Studio 15. I've discovered something I find disagreeable regarding
    the way we HAVE TO install the App. CNET does NOT give us the entire installer, they
    only give us the link to their installation sever. The application is actually installed
    from their server. Meh, NO WAY to BACK-UP the software... and WHO knows if it will
    be available in the future :oops: Also to initialize the application we are forced to enter
    a valid email address and we all know what the result of that will be.

... Just Keeping it Real.
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  7. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Thanks wOOd. The reason I'm asking is that my new Walkera DEVO radio can display pictures of my plane which is not only neat, but it helps you avoid flying with the wrong model selected. The hitch I ran into is that the files have to be 96x96 16bit BMP and everything I have makes 24bit files so they don't work. I normally use Corel Photo for everything, but it's not going to work for this. I read where GIMP can make the files. If you've got any better ideas, I'm all ears.

...Tiger

PS: The Tx manual talks about RGB565 and ARGB1555 files being used. I've never heard of those before.
  8. Tiger

Tiger Registered

wOOd - I downloaded and installed GIMP. It's totally goofy. I played with it for about an hour last night and gave up. It took me about ten minutes just to figure out how to zoom my picture. Talk about a GUI that totally sucks! Anyway... Today I tried it again and actually ended up with a useable picture of my Radian glider. I actually had to edit the pic in Corel and just brought it into GIMP to export. I think it would have taken another week to do the whole job in GIMP. The program looks really powerful, but the learning curve is probably to painful for me. Think I'll just do the few planes I need in Corel and then export out of GIMP to my transmitter. I don't ever see me falling in love with this program. :)

So what's this "go to" program you mentioned? Will it do what I need? I'm not opposed to buying something if it's something I can actually use without taking a two semester training class.

...Tiger
  9. w00d

w00d Registered

When I wrote about GIMP I was trying to be fair and unbiased, but yes the weird GUI was the reasons
    why I don't use it. I always thought the GUI was a pain-in-the-dairy.

My "go-to-app" Paintshop Pro X4
    ... can work on 2, 16, 256, 32K, 64K colours, RGB 8bit and RGB 16bit files.
    ... Sorry, no RGB 24bit but I WILL check Zoner to see if it does?

Best colour depth for Zoner {drum-roll please} RGB 16bit :(

But, all the talk about GIMP inspired me to give it another try. HaHa, so yesterday afternoon I loaded
    it up, actually I was plying around with the recommended (best) plug-ins and indeed there is a lot
    to choose from but nothing really stood out to impress. Playing around with it the second time only
    served to reminded me why I didn't like it way-beck-when.

~w00d
    RE: "The Tx manual talks about RGB565 and ARGB1555 files being used. I've never heard of those before."
    ... I did a quick Google and to me "RGB565 and ARGB1555" look like a form of RAW format, Android
    devices are mentioned a few times. Really I'm only guessing, they are also new to me?

Tiger, have you looked at the standalone Photo file Converters for what you need?
    ... maybe one of those can deal with 24bit?
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  10. Tiger

Tiger Registered

wOOd - I need BMP's in 16 bit (not 25). My Corel Photo only does the 24, which is the problem. I spent another three or four hours with GIMP last night and made quite a bit of (painful) progress. As much as I don't like it, I can now do my complete conversions without needing to go into Corel. It's clear I'm never going to like this program, but it's going to get me the pictures for the transmitter right now. I don't know if Paintshop Pro will do it, but I'll try to figure that out. Maybe they have a demo program I could try. I've heard good things about it.

...Tiger
  11. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Downloaded a demo of PaintShop Pro X6 today. Nice program, but it doesn't do what I need. Getting a little more comfortable with GIMP though. Finally figured out how to get their stupid floating toolbars to be part of the main screen. One less aggravation behind me. Looked at the latest version of Corel Photo Paint (what I'm using now). The demo was a 450mb download so that's out. Anyway, it's $500 and my copy is to old to quality for an upgrade ($200). Still looking for options. I may be stuck in GimpLand forever. :)

...Tiger
  12. w00d

w00d Registered

LOL, good to hear GIMP is working for you ... albeit painfully.
    ... Although I still don't understand why Corel's editors won't down convert from 24bit to 16bit BMP's.
    You have me curious and interested, just for fun, do you still have my eMail address? ... I would like to see this hands-on, send me the file?
    Last edited: May 20, 2014