1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

KK2.1.5 help please.

Discussion in 'Multirotor' started by Dspeed69, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Dspeed69

Dspeed69 Registered

So I just finished my first quad build, very excited. Almost everything seems to be working correctly (wanders a bit but very flyable) with one exception. With a gentle yaw input, the quad rotates as expected. With a quick/hard yaw input, the quad climes quickly.
    Build details;
    HK Q450 V3 frame
    28-26 1000kv turnigy motors
    Kk2.1.5 FC board
    Eliv/ aile. Yaw
    PG = 45 80
    PI = 100 20
    IG = 30 70
    IL = 20 10
    My first thought is that my yaw PG setting is to high but I lowered it 10 at a time to 30 and it had little effect. Any help is appreciated.
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

I am surprised to see you haven't had a reply to your question. I know there are some guys with KK2 boards around here. I do not own any KK board flight controllers but it seems to me you do have a gain set wrong. I think one of the beautiful features of the KK2 is the built in screen that allows you to change the settings in the field without a computer. Pretty handy for resolving the issue you are having.

What size and/or make of quad is your KK2 on?
  3. Dspeed69

Dspeed69 Registered

It is a Hobby King Q450 V3.
    Being able to change settings in the field is pretty handy.
    So far I have only changed the gain settings one at a time in increments of 10, To no avail.
    It still doesn't have that " locked in" feel , so I know there is room for improvement over all but the quick rise in altitude just won't do. I'm going to try dropping limits next and see how she feels.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

5. GPS

GPS Registered

6. Dspeed69

Dspeed69 Registered

I did read the Q&A post from Tiger. It had a lot of good info.
    I will try the guai settings and see if it helps. Thanks GPS.
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

I thought there were other PID settings on here but I may be mistaken, or my search criteria was wrong. Let us know what you find out after you test the new settings.
  8. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I've been meaning to chime in here, but I've been super busy and just didn't get it done. Sorry! I have not flown my KK2 quads in a good year so I didn't remember any of the settings. I just took one down that's on a 450 frame and wrote down my settings as follows:

Roll/Pitch:
    PG = 45
    PL = 100
    IG = 20
    IL = 20

Yaw:
    PG = 50
    PL = 20
    IG = 50
    IL = 10

Stick Scaling:
    Roll = 30
    Pitch = 30
    Yaw = 50
    Throttle = 90

Mine flys great so why don't you try my settings and see what happens. What are you using for props? Are they balanced?

...Tiger
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    GPS likes this.
  9. Dspeed69

Dspeed69 Registered

Thanks for the settings Tiger.
    They are very close to what I ended up with after this afternoons tinkering, Although I have not touched the stick scaling at all. I have some homework to do.
    After lowering my yaw I gain to 30 the altitude jump seemed much muted but still there. I will give your setting a try tomorrow, plus do some studying on stick scaling.
    The props are balanced and they are 10 x 4.5. I wanted 9x4.5 but couldn't find them at the time. To much torque you think?
    Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your help.
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

I think most people run 10 inch props on their 450 size multi rotor when using 3S (11.1 volt) batteries. When using 4S they seem to move to 9 or often 8 inch propellers. I think you'll also get a little more battery life on your 450 with 10 inch propellers on 3S than you will on 3S with 9 or smaller propellers.
  11. Dspeed69

Dspeed69 Registered

So I changed to Tigers settings and everything is much less twitchy. Aside from me of coarse... There is still a jump in altitude in a quick yaw movement( about twice the distance in hight as yaw) but seems much more stable in a mellow yaw. I think I will keep these settings and learn to fly it.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

@Dspeed69 - Does it jump (I'm presuming you meant climbs up) in altitude in both left and right yaw directions? If so does it climb equally both directions?
  13. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Dspeed - Glad to hear it's flying a little better. I'd like to "see" what you're experiencing. Do you fly at Redwood? I'm wondering if maybe your expectations of stability are a little bit high. The next thing you should do is get some 9" props. I think you'll like how they fly a lot better. The only 10" props I've ever found to fly nice were APC's. Other 10" props like Gem Fan didn't do as well for me. I think the issue is flex.

...Tiger
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

@Tiger - Graupners! They are awesome, the best IMHO. They are very rigid and tough but more brittle than APC or Gem Fan.
  15. Tiger

Tiger Registered

John - I totally agree that the Graupners are awesome. On the expensive side, but awesome props. I tried to get some of those a while back and nobody had any stock. I finally gave up. Has the availability situation gotten any better? Where do you buy them?

Because of the price, I wouldn't recommend these to anyone that's just starting out. They are just to expensive if you are still in the crash test and tune phase. :)

...Tiger
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

@Tiger - Yes, I should have added they are on the expensive side. Also a good point about the pilot's skill level. I would not recommend learning, and most likely crashing, on Graupner propellers. They cost $11-$12 each. When I changed to Graupner I had most ;) of my crashing behind me. I also changed because the original DJI propellers were breaking on me in flight several times...not acceptable.

I must say I did have a very good impression of the Gem Fan props when I saw one of the guys crash his DJI F450 one day and the Gem Fan prop was bent 90 degrees and he just straightened it and got back in the air. You won't be doing that with a Graupner propeller.

I recently saw a video about DJI's own "New" 1038 propeller and it might be worth looking into also since they are less expensive than Graupner and seem to have a decent profile. Check this out:

You sure could not do that with the old original DJI propellers!

BTW, Esprit Model has the Graupner in stock for $11 each as I write this:
    http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-propellers-electric-e-prop.aspx

UAV Products has the DJI 1038 in stock for $6 for a pair, 1 CW and 1 CCW. That seems like a good deal to me:
    http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=127
  17. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Saw that video when it started making the rounds last year. That was a stress test for sure. After I posted last night I threw Graupner into Google just to see if things had gotten more available. Several places came up. One was Amazon so I went there and they had the 8-5's in stock with free 2-day shipping (Amazon Prime). I ordered a couple sets. They were $11 each. Tracking says they will be here Saturday so maybe I can fly them Sunday at Redwood.

...Tiger
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

I'm kind of curious about those 1038 DJI propellers. After I run out of the propellers for my GAUI I might get a set of those to try. The stock GAUI propellers are also quite brittle so something that can take a little more abuse would be refreshing.

I am interested to hear your comments about the Graupners after you've had a few flights with them.
  19. Dspeed69

Dspeed69 Registered

Well Tiger, those setting work very well and I would love to show you what it WAS doing but I will have to build another Quad. Unfortunately, I lost signal while flying down the shoreline this weekend and she fell out of the sky and right into the water. I was a bitter end to a great weekend.
  20. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Oh man... So sorry to hear that! It happens, but it's suppose to happen to someone else. :) How far away were you and what kind of radio gear were you using? I suppose this is why ReturnToHome is so popular. :)

...Tiger

Attached Files: