1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Keychain Camera Progress and Rocket Launch

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Tiger, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Tiger

Tiger Registered

So today I built a little shock mount for the keychain camera and did some more testing.  I'm not there yet, but it's sure a lot better if you compare it to my last video.  I think all I need now is a little more weight on the camera.  It has almost no mass so it's quick to vibrate.  You can see in the pics below I have it suspended by surgical tubing and I have a weight on the back side of the camera to add mass.  May never get there, but I'm having fun trying!  :)

Disregard the lighting issues in the YouTube video.  The camera does great when there is real light.  I didn't get to the school to fly today until very late in the afternoon.  There was hardly any light.  It was difficult to even fly the heli (Walkera V400). 

Notice at the start of the video there was a really cool rocket launch.  If only there had been good light.  If you watch carefully, you'll see the rocket got detached from the parachute and fell to the ground.  Then you'll see me moving my focus out over the cow pasture where you can just see the parachute coming down with the nose cone.  Great Fun!

...Tiger

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObPTdmfCDMs[/youtube]

Attached Files:

2. GPS

GPS Registered

Great idea with the camera mount.  Is the weight on the camera plate aluminum or steel?

Was that you launching the rocket?
  3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Considering what your up against I think you are pretty much there. The jello effect is very hard to deal with on a heli. I am going to try something like this:

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_67&products_id=278

Easy to make and can experiment with smaller and small rubber bands/O rings, plus adding some weight to the camera plate may help.
  4. Tiger

Tiger Registered

GPS - It's steel.  It's a weight that came with the MEMS gyro that I put in my 450 heli.  Had it laying around and it was the perfect size.  That wasn't my rocket.  I just happen to show up when some family was there launching it.  They launched twice.  After I saw the first one. I got the heli ready and hovered until they went again.  Just lucked out!

PP - I had not seem that mount.  Very clever design.  What I've got now is usable at least.  Without it the camera is totally out of control useless.

...Tiger
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Both of your mounts look great.  Like you said Tiger, maybe some more mass on the camera would help dampen the vibration some more.  Do you have some sheet brass?
  6. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Lowing the Throttle-Curve a tad may also lesson the vibration, maybe enough to change any harmonic vibrations to