1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

JUNOPOWER JUNOJUMPR - $99.99

Discussion in 'News' started by GPS, Nov 28, 2014.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

The Junojumpr is a sleek, lightweight external battery that houses an impressive 6,000 mAh battery pack capable of jumping a completely dead car battery in minutes. The multi-functional battery also features a USB 5V 2.1A output able to charge power hungry devices such as smartphones, cameras, and tablets. Users will never again have to worry about being stranded with a dead phone or car battery.

We're used to seeing the battery on the right, purchased at your local automobile hardware store, where it packs a flashlight, two jumper cables, and weighs... well, 25 lbs or so. It's not easy to carry around, and we usually throw it in the trunk. The Junojumpr is only 7 ounces (the iPhone is 3.95 ounces) making it quite portable just like your smartphones.

junopower-juno-jumpr-1.png

junopower-juno-jumpr-2.png

Junojumpr is an ultra portable and compact universal battery pack that is slightly larger than your mobile phone. Despite the small size, it packs a whopping 6,000mAh lithium polymer battery inside it's metallic blue enclosure. there are many people out there making portable USB batteries...What's so different about Junojumpr ?

Despite the fact that it only carries a 6,000 mAh battery and its size, the Junojumpr does a lot more than just charge your mobile smartphone, camera, or tablet on the go. With its sleek form factor of 139 x 75 x 15mm, this little device produces a 12 Volt output at a peak of 300 amps.

If you don't know what that means, our automobiles and motorcycles on 12 Volts, can sometimes need a little boost - for those times we forget to turn off the headlights or the days that we don't close the door completely and the dome lights drained the power.

The Junojumpr provides 12 Volts of power at peak 300 Amps to ensure that your dead automobile or motorcycle battery can be brought back to life. 300 Amps is enough to jump start almost all 4-Cylinder and 6-Cylinder engines as well as possibly enough to jump start more depending on model type.

Throw this device in your purse, carry it in your back pocket, store it in your glove compartment - it's going to... one day, be your best friend.

Do not try jumping vehicles that require more than 300 Amps of power, such as V8 trucks or Diesel trucks, as it may be harmful to theJunojumpr battery.

Capacity : 6000mAh
    Size : 139 x 75 x 15mm
    Weight : 7 Ounces
    Output 1 : 12V (150-300A).
    Output 2: USB 5V 2.1A
    Minimum Cycles: 500+

Source:
    http://junopower.com/collections/sm...ts/junojumpr-black-most-portable-jump-starter
  2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Had lunch today with Tom Kanger and he showed me a 3300mah version of this that he bought this morning at Walmart for $60. It was really nicely made and was rated to provide 200A for up to seven starts. It was super compact and very nice. His had the USB charge port also. The only problem I see is that a fully charged LiPo has a dramatically shorter life than one that is charged for storage (about 70%). Other than that, very cool gismo.

...Tiger
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

I learned of these after reading an article where a guy is building a quadcopter to suit this form factor. Do you think there is more to this than a regular LiPo inside, besides the USB port? Could any 3S LiPo start a car like this?

They also make a 10,000 mAh device:
    http://junopower.com/collections/hue-line/products/hue-pro-black-10000-mah-external-battery

and a 12,000 mAh device:
    http://junopower.com/collections/konnect/products/konnect-kolor-12000-mah-powerful-external-battery

However they don't claim the 200-300 amp car start capability on these models.

Here are the jumper cables for the originally posted device:
    http://junopower.com/collections/automobile/products/additional-cables-for-junojumpr-series

juno-jumpr-jumper-cable.png
  4. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Yes I think it's just an ordinary LiPo with high "C" rating (probably 70). The connector in your picture is just like Toms. It's just a EC4 and has #10 silicone wires. The battery clamps are especially nice. Toms unit doesn't have two boxes like the one above. His only has one. I think the box contains Schottky diodes for reverse polarity protection. I can't understand why they would have two boxes on yours unless they put a fuse in the second one. Without polarity protection, a cable error could cause some real excitement! Tom got excited about these things when he saw how well Jeremy's 5000mah one started Chris's totally dead van at the field a couple weeks ago.

...Tiger
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Do you need a 70C LiPo to start a car?
  6. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Depends on the car and what the situation is. If you only have a 3ah (3000mah) battery, you're going to need a lot of "C" to get two or three hundred amps! Interesting - Toms unit was rated for "up to" seven three second attempts. Starting a car with a little LiPo is really hard on it!

...Tiger
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

There is a guy on DIYDrones that is making a quadcopter just for these batteries. How heavy did it seem to you compared to a RC LiPo? Do you see any advantage to using one of these in a quadcopter?
  8. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Wow! There is another really bad idea. Why on earth would anyone buy this overpriced (for a battery) thing and then have the weight of the battery plus all the other junk and case. Doesn't make any sense at all. After my last post, I went to Amazon and looked at the user feedback on these things. Really wasn't all that good. I was getting interested in these for my generator, bike, quad, and tractor. Sometimes they go dead from lack of use, especially in the winter. I think I've about lost my interest now.

...Tiger
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't know why the guy decided to use one of these to design a whole quadcopter around. That's why I asked you about the weight and what your thoughts were since I have never seen or held one in person. Is it significantly lighter than a RC LiPo? With the USB stuff inside it must be at least slightly heavier. Was his decision based on the high (300 amp) capability?
    I read in several places that a lot of pro aerial photographers are using low C rating batteries at 6S and higher. My personal experience is that the lower C rating batteries tend to lose power more gracefully. The higher C rating batteries seem to drop off power at the end of their charge faster.
  10. Tiger

Tiger Registered

The Juno has to have a very high C rate Lipo so it's thicker and heavier than some other Lipo's. As for using low C and high voltage, maybe that would save some weight overall. Power is equal to voltage x current so you can get your power from high voltage and low current or the other way around. The low current (C) batteries are cheaper, thinner, and naturally weigh less. I'm not sure that having the extra cells is going to result in an overall gain though. It's a pick your poison situation. For me, the only way I'd go to high voltage is if I needed a LOT more power. You would have a significant advantage in the reduced size and weight of the power distribution system.

...Tiger
  11. GPS

GPS Registered