1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

indoor track in gp

Discussion in 'Racing and Bashing' started by Bartljuice, Sep 29, 2011.

?

vote for the one that best dicribes your thoughts on the track

1. I would defenatly come race & practice

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. I might come race & practice acosionaly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would only come to practice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I dont think i would use the facility at all

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

Hay everybody my name is Adam and I work at at Sleaddes Adventurer depot in grants pass It started out as a small toy store but has evolved into a hobby shop.  The shop aside,  I have the opportunity to open an indoor offroad rc track.  The Issue is the owner of the shop is funding the project and wants a reliable head count of who would come race.  The track would be open Three days a week for practice and we would do racing on Saturday afternoons.  I plan to have quarterly seasons in witch we would do a points race.  Here are what we plan to charge for practice, racing and the points race.

Practice $4 for the day
    Racing $8 per class
    Points race $20 per season (This would guarantee your number for the season and would give you first dibs next season.  There would also be a prize for the winner of each class, like batteries, charger, wheels tires, so on.

I also plan to do a dollar race at the end of each race day(Idea thanks to the guys over in kfals).  This would evolve everyone interested to put a dollar in the pot.  We would then through everyone out on the track with no turn marshals and the first person to complete a set number of laps wins the pot.  If you get stuck, flipped over or break your done unless someone knocks you loss with there car.  Its a ton of fun and gives you a chance to win some cash.

So If you think you would defiantly come out and race, practice and the points race reply to the post.  Also if you have any comment please feel free to let me know what you think.  This Thread is kinda the deciding factor if the track gets going or not so dont be shy.

Thanks everyone for your participation

2. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

Winter will soon be on us=I vote YES.I would drive from Medford to roll your track & be thankful.
  3. JROCK

JROCK Registered

hello adam,this whole idea sounds promising.i'm in!!!! 8)
  4. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

Ya I've wanted to start something like this ever since i got into the hobby.  I need more input guys like how often you guys would come out and race, if the prices seem reasonable.  For this to work i need a ton of intrest here or the boss is going to pul the plug till next year.
    Also if anybody knows a good place to get cheap plywood in gp let me know.  Thanks and i hope this gets people motivated.
  5. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

O and hear are some of my track designs

[​IMG]
    By bartljuice
  6. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

I can personally guarantee you four people from my group that would race.  The prices in my eyes are somewhat low if you are providing shelter and power.  Most series races cost around $45 a class FYI and power isn't cheap, but I could def afford $48 a week as that is entry for four people in one class apiece as I would pay there entry's.  Build it and they will come, I think I may be able to vouch for two-three more actually for a total of seven for sure entries.
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

I would also race and practice.
  8. means2k

means2k Registered

I would come out and race regularly.  I have a friend that would be interested in it as well.  I think your pricing is fair as long as it covers ur guys' costs and time you put into it.  Creating a club membership could help bring in some dollars to get the project rolling.  It could include some volunteer work to help keep ur costs under control.  An event's calender with a monthly "special" event posted here to draw some attention.  I have some ideas to throw at ya.  I come in to Sleadd's often so I'll mention it when I see you guys. 
  9. smitty

smitty Registered

Hi Adam,
    I'd like to see you accomplish your goal.
    I don't want to play the ADA card, but abled bodied folks often don't think in terms of accessibility.
    So here are my concerns:
    1. Will the drivers stand be elevated?
    2. Assuming there will be a stand, will it be accessible by wheelchair? (12" to 1" rise)
    3. Will there be restroom facilities on site?
    4. Will they be accessible by wheelchair? note: a grab bar on the wall does not make it accessible.

Even if these concerns are met, I'm not sure how often I would be able to get to GP from Roseburg.
    Thanks for listening.
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

Is this race venue a Sleadds operation?
  11. smitty

smitty Registered

Sorry to be so ignorant. But, I don't know the facility. Never have been there.
  12. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

Im sorry smitty but the only choice of a bathroom we would have would be a dnd but the driver stand can defiantly be wheel chair assessable.  Also the track will be run by myself but payed for by the shop so basically yes it as sleadds operation

13. smitty

smitty Registered

what's a dnd?  You have to excuse me... I'm old!
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

What is the address of this track?  Is it inside the Sleadds shop?
  15. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

A dnd is what I'm used to calling a porta poti or blue room
    As for the adress it dosn't exist yet but we have a place in mind off of foothill
    O and by the way witch track layout do you all like better left or right.
  16. means2k

means2k Registered

The one on the right.
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

What is the lane width?  What is the overall track width and length?  You should put some dimensions on the layout.

Let's say the graph paper squares equal 12 inches, roughly the width of one short course truck.

Then according to your design:
    Track overall width = 12 feet
    Track overall length = 33 feet

Just for consideration, I think a typical/average outdoor RC short course truck track is approximately 44 feet wide by approximately 64 feet long.  Lanes are usually 8 feet wide.  These are just some numbers I've come up with by looking at various tracks in the west coast region, others can chime in if they know more or have other information.

So if the lanes in your plans are 3 feet wide they won't really be wide enough for three trucks passing or driving side by side.  Also, even though the track is only 12 feet wide there does not seem to be space for marshals so reaching overturned trucks in the center might be a challenge.

Is this track to be built on a table, or will it be on the floor/ground?

How many people/trucks do you feel will be able to race simultaneously?
  18. smitty

smitty Registered

They do make porta-potties that are wheelchair accessible.

I'm glad that you are asking questions and seeking options.
    That will help this become successful.

I agree that lane width should be 8'-10'.

Both of your suggested designs are quite complex.
    I believe that many of the technical features that you want to include can be done in a more simple design. Especially if you build into it the ability to make easy changes to those technical features.
  19. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

Any room for some indoor crawling? ;D
  20. GPS

GPS Registered

Yes!  A indoor crawling area would be cool.  I didn't get into crawling until RPM hobbies was gone, but they used to have a cool crawler setup right in the store.  I think they used Styrofoam and covered it with either a light concrete or something like a gray truck be liner material.  It even used to have a rope bridge which looked like it could be fun to traverse.