1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

IFS Conversion

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by highlandcrawler, Oct 12, 2011.

1. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

I had a customer want something a little different than a normal custom build. He wanted to put a slash 4X4 front end under a sch10 frame. Not that big of a deal really but there was a twist. He wanted a bolt on kit basically where he could swap the front in and out for a straight axle when he wanted. So I set out with a running honcho and a complete slash front bulkhead and went about fusing them together without drilling any holes in either piece. It works with a series of braces, brackets, and links to make a solid unit that works well together and only takes about an hour to go from driving a normal honcho to driving a IFS one. I like the idea and plan to take it a little further in a future build of my own. I envision a single machined piece that makes it all happen in one shot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

That there is some cool work.  So did he keep the stock rear end?  Why did he only want to change the front?
  3. highlandcrawler

I guess it depends on what part you call stock lol. The slash or the axial. It will use a stock scx10 as the base with the slash front swapped in and out. I think he plans to use a wraith axle with it when he builds it. I tested it with the stock rear axle and it was a little narrow to match so handling was a little odd. It will be fine once he builds the right width rear axle
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Some folks get the darndest ideas!  I don't know if I would have thought to use a Slash front, or rear, end in a crawler.  But I guess in a way the Summit is kind of a crawler and it is similar in a lot of ways, except for the blockers.
  5. highlandcrawler

The ifs can make for some good high speed fun :eek:. I have a hybrid I made a while back that uses a slash front on a custom frame. I ran a summit 2 speed in it and boy that was good times. The dunes are a blast and you can drive on water with it also

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Now that there is a pretty roll cage.  Did you fabricate it yourself?  I read about some others on here going to the dunes and beaches.  Are the dunes you speak of on the coast, or east towards the desert?
  7. highlandcrawler

Ya I made that frame and powder coated it mirror chrome. I looked pretty awesome. I go mainly to coos bay, winchester area. We take I-5 north then cut to the coast
  8. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

bozzoreed89@gmail.com Registered

Sorry to bring up ok thread guys but I've been itching to do ifs rig with rear straight axle got couple questions bout widths and figured one if you could help since some of you race and bash also so the question is what 4x4 sc truck has same width as scx10 axle I'm assuming its one of the 1/16 or 1/18 trucks any help would be appreciated
  9. yotapane

yotapane Registered

The slash running gear is more comparable to the wraith axle width scx would be very narrow compared to the slash, many ifs swaps include the use of wraith rear diff and Exo front group.... My .02 cents
  10. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

bozzoreed89@gmail.com Registered

Yes I know how most guys do it but I like to be original so I wanna do something different that's why I asked bout different widths