1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

I finally did it

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by Tiger, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Cool...  I did it  ::)  Nothing special, but I created an account and uploaded my first video to YouTube!  Picked the User Name "TigersToys".  If I had known it was this easy, I'd have done it years ago!  :)

Laser cutting the Micro Abner biplane:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxMj3DTY8c

...Tiger
  2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Now to see if I can embed it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxMj3DTY8c[/youtube]

Awesome!  It only took about six tries.  :)

...Tiger
  3. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the video accomplishment! But wait, you have a laser cutter in addition to your CNC machines??? Man, we really need to talk!
  4. GPBill

GPBill Registered

I think you've spilled the beans Tiger.  :)

What a slick way to cut foam planes and quick too. Does it work as well on balsa?
  5. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Very cool, looked like a THK rail?
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

I thought that was balsa.
  7. Tiger

Tiger Registered

GPBill - I have never cut balsa on it because I'm mostly a foam guy.  I have cut a LOT of plywood for bulkheads and the like and that cuts like butter so I'm sure it would blow through balsa like the wind.  Fire might be the only consideration.  I use air assist to help control that.  If I had some balsa I'd try it.

PP - I never looked for a marking on the rails, but they do have that THK look don't they.  The machine is a LaserPro made by GCC.  I've measured the power at 120 watts on the table.  It has DC servos so it's mega faster than the stepper machines.  It's supposed to cut through 1" acrylic!  I have little need to cut thick, but the power can give you speed sometimes.

GPS - That was foam I was cutting in the video.  Foam is actually a little tricky to cut.  The laser blows through it like nothing, but the foam tends to shrink away from the beam the deeper you go (hot gases from vaporizing material).  That results in draft on the part if you're not careful.  Here again the air assist helps, but if you're cutting very deep you might have to touch the surface up a little with sandpaper to square it up.

The laser isn't the answer to everything, but there certainly are things it does very well and very fast.  Like anything CNC, it's not as easy to use as it looks in a video because of the drawings and comps you have to deal with.  Sometimes it's better to get out your x-acto knife and go at it. :)

...Tiger