1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Helicopter: Gimbal Swash Plate Coming Soon

Discussion in 'News' started by w00d, Feb 2, 2012.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    [size=1.25em]HeliOption: Gimbal Swash Plate
    [/size]for Trex 500, 550, 600, 700

QUOTE: Traditional spherical ball swashplate is a compromise between friction and rigidity of the assembly. And it becomes sloppy over time because the spherical ball rotates and twists with the upper swashplate. Helioption Gimbal swash plate utilizes ball bearing joints which minimize friction and is as rigid as the bearings provided ...

Source: HeliOpion
    Note
    : They are available NOW as the page I linked to is apparently OLD news. However if you go their product pages you will see them for-sale there ;)

[​IMG]

I had previously hinted about this little gem .: HERE :. and thought interesting, thought it NEWS worthy then. Unfortunately there is NO support for teh 450 or lower

[shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow]

EDIT: I felt left out w/ the above not being available for the 450 and then I found this from the same company --->QUOTE: Integrated the upper and lower bearing blocks together, made of grade 6061 material. The bearings are now perfectly aligned and resulting in increasing of precision of main shaft installation. Chassis rigidity is greatly increased too, main shaft is running perfectly straight even in hard 3D moves, because of the chassis twist and vibration is reduced. With Thrust bearings, it takes the vertical thrust load away from the stock radial bearings. So, the main shaft rotating more smoothly and reduce the chance of bearing seizing (damage)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GPS

GPS Registered

I like that integrated main shaft block.  Makes you wonder why someone didn't think of that sooner doesn't it?

Regarding the Gimbaled swash plate: Didn't something like this appear a year or so ago?  I seem to recall something like this.
  3. w00d

w00d Registered

Re: Bearing Blocks, the last thing I've seen that addresses the bearing misalignment issue is within my PROTOS 500 as it uses three bearings instead of the two typically used. Although I have seen a few DIY solutions that address this issue by installed a third bearing. One DIY guy in particular tried and used Thrust Bearings but as he wanted too much money for his product his idea don't go anywhere. His idea was to not only FIX the bearing misalignment but to also to address or ease the vertical load on the bearings ... Either way I don't know of any "manufactured" solution but the idea is certainly open to any who has a bit of the DIY within themselves ...

As for the Gimbal Swash this is the first I've seen if ya don't count the first time I posted about it ??
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

5. w00d

w00d Registered

COOL: Your RunRyder thread talks about QUICK UK and their Precision Swash Plates which shows (I thought) an interesting idea as they have got away from the plastic (nylon) swivels replacing with an ALL metal version which a radial bearing runs on. Their marketese says "This superb fully cnc machined swashplate uses a high quality radial bearing and an aviation grade PTFE lined chrome steel centre swivel ball. The main bearing features special pre-load adjusters to eliminate radial backlash and allow future re-tensioning" ... Ya they imply it's a longer lasting slop free Swash ... Well if ya know anything about the ALIGN 450 Swashes of a day-gone-by you'll know "anything" has GOT to be better, LMAO