1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Future of Off Road Track and Facility in White City.

Discussion in 'Off Road' started by blt4speed, Dec 19, 2012.

1. blt4speed

blt4speed Registered

ok, thought i'd start newish thread, same ol' issues.  here's newest update
    Went to the county yesterday in effort to educate about rc racing.  I did a powerpoint presentetion to show pics/vids of local racing events (klamath, jacksonville, redding, yerka, and chico).  I did this because i didn't think that they really knew what our community has been  missing out there.  He definatley had no idea that rc racing is what it currently is, he also really noticed the difference between a track like rattlesnake or j-ville and white city.  He comented about the weak layout in w/c as opposed to the cool ones in j-vill/redding.  I tried to emphasize on all the positive things rc racing can bring (fun, family, friends, mechanical aptitude, sportsmanship, competion,  diversity of racers, commerce).  in the slide show there were pics from here (lots of big air, high car count action, cars/class description and some landscapes).  He did mention a possible program call "adopt a park" that could be of help.  "he's gonn get back to us" and  i don't have a time frame.  But I am going to bat, to attempt to get something going out there, and he seems pretty receptive.  so any help, via constructive comments or support would be appreciated in this thread.  I'm really gonna need a lot of help, we need to be able to make the track more accessible to public for starters, any Ideas ?
  2. Rebuilt Rusty

Rebuilt Rusty Registered

Hey Austen good luck on taking over the track out there, wish I was still there to help out with the endeavor.
  3. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

i dont have any ideas to help make it more accessible but i do work at a plywood plant in gp and i can get plywood really cheap so hit me up if this gets going and u need some plywood for the build! Im down to come out and help in anyway possible!
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

I was told the city needed a formal non-profit in order to allow the land use.
  5. blt4speed

blt4speed Registered

thanks james (lizard whisperer) for the good vibes,  you were always a big help and a pleasure to race with.

kit (knightrider) I appreciate any and all help.  There are covered pit tables that use sheets of plywood for the tables already at the track.  they have been painted but will prolly need replaced by end of next season maybe sooner (still pretty good i think).  But we could always use some to border the backside of track for banners to hang (like at j-ville track).  I will get a hold of u if and when we have a more concrete position with the county and the usage of that facility. 

@ GPS  i was told the same thing in the past.  it's simply not true.  however, a formal non-profit club might allow different rules/lease options.  but it is not required.  should it be more cost effective to go that route then, we will (i'd rather not).
  6. lscottd

lscottd Registered

Is the track at Southern Oregon Speedway? Will it be open for all? Could we run anything any time with the exception of race days?
    I am there to help in any way I can. ;D
  7. Nexus

Nexus Registered

I'm willing to help in any way that I can. I can't do physical labor (you know, crutches and stuff ::) ) but I can plan, coordinate, manage, all that sorta stuff. I'm an amateur photographer so I can help with photos, logos (I designed the club's original logo and signage), editing, promotional material, maybe possibly even a website if I'm feeling adventurous. If you need somebody to accompany you to meetings and stuff I might be able to help out there, too depending on the times and days.
  8. Nexus

Nexus Registered

All that gets sorted out after we officially get use of the land. Right now we don't even have anything to go on yet, so everything is still up in the air.

But yes, it's in the same park as the Southern Oregon Speedway. It's right in between the Autocross track and the shooting range.
  9. lscottd

lscottd Registered

Cool I can help in any way I am a mule and can dig, move, and push anything that needs to be. I think it would be cool to start a club of some sort.
    :eek: ;D :D :) ;)
  10. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

I have been preached this by GPS (john) many times and have stated the same thing, it simply in a legal standpoint in our size and stature is not needed. 

As for getting them to think big get ahold of Chad and I will call Jason to see if we have any pictures of what it used to be many years ago well before G and B, It was a great good sized track!  It went further up the hill and was sizable to chad's old track at RPM.  It was and still could be a good size to accomodate 1/10 to 1/8th for easily and be a very fun challenging track as it used to be.
  11. Nexus

Nexus Registered

I have hundreds of photographs of what the track looked like. They're all action shots (nothing that shows the entire track) but it gives a fantastic idea of what's capable.
  12. blt4speed

blt4speed Registered

@ nexus,  i know you've got a passion for this end of the hobby, and are multi-talented. I know media, image, advertising can be key.  Our task will be lighter with your help, thank you.

@sincad, yes, i remember that old layout i got to race once back then (rc10b4).  all the elevation change was cool.  i even raced before then on the oval side (used to be grid off road).  I beleive i was there for the very first practice/race.  I as far as big, the pics i showed include the truggy pics from oss finals.  but he did mention size of track, like it should be bigger (like it used to be) , less grid-like. pics of the old cool track would be useful, thanks!

@lsct yeah we'll have some shovels that need a run'n.  my freind mike says "need to move a mountain ?  give me a shovel ".    but hopefully we can get some tractor help oo :D glad to have your help, support
  13. dnsducks

dnsducks Registered

Nice job on all the legwork austin. I am hopeful something works out for you guys over there. I know it will be a long time coming. hopefully if it is a sucess you guys won't be too much of strangers and still make it over the hill once in a while. It's great racing with you ALL. ;D

I have a question: was there any mention of/or neccessity for the "club" to carry any type of insurance? or would the club fall under the jackson county coverage for the facilty? just curious.

Also, this may be a bit premature, but is the oval dirt track a popular thing over there? Is it going to stay or go? Is there a chance there wil be enough room for a 1/8 scale AND a 1/10 scale track, or something else, or just one big track multiuse?
    Just wondering what the thoughts are on that.

thanks, and best of luck to you,
    D
  14. Nexus

Nexus Registered

When I was the club's treasurer many moons ago we did have to carry our own insurance policy. I'm not sure what the requirements would be if a club were not formed, though.

[quote author=dnsducks link=topic=2430.msg14154#msg14154 date=1356110203]
    Also, this may be a bit premature, but is the oval dirt track a popular thing over there? Is it going to stay or go? Is there a chance there wil be enough room for a 1/8 scale AND a 1/10 scale track, or something else, or just one big track multiuse?
    [/quote]
    It's all up in the air at this point, but my personal opinion is that the oval should go. It draws a few people, but I would gamble on the fact that most people are interested in off-road and it would be more beneficial to maintain _one_ track and find a better use for the other space. I'd vote to "save" that area and put in an asphalt track when the funds are available. Besides, if the oval were to be pulled out there's a lot more material (dirt) to build a bigger, nicer off-road track. As far as size goes, there's definitely enough room out there to build an 1/8-scale-friendly track. It was there once before and it was super fun.

[​IMG]

I have hundreds of pictures like this. There's definitely room for 1/8-scale out there.
  15. lscottd

lscottd Registered

I know its all up in the air but might it be passable to make a covered track so we could run all year and make more money? I like the idea of having a street track. It would bring more people out and drifters could benefit from it to. I moved up here about 6 months ago and I was sadden to not find a track near by. :'(  This would be grate therapy for me do to not knowing any one and being far away form my family and friends. :( I would love to be apart of this. :D
  16. dnsducks

dnsducks Registered

When I was the club's treasurer many moons ago we did have to carry our own insurance policy. I'm not sure what the requirements would be if a club were not formed, though.

[quote author=dnsducks link=topic=2430.msg14154#msg14154 date=1356110203]
    [/quote]
    It's all up in the air at this point, but my personal opinion is that the oval should go. It draws a few people, but I would gamble on the fact that most people are interested in off-road and it would be more beneficial to maintain _one_ track and find a better use for the other space. I'd vote to "save" that area and put in an asphalt track when the funds are available. Besides, if the oval were to be pulled out there's a lot more material (dirt) to build a bigger, nicer off-road track. As far as size goes, there's definitely enough room out there to build an 1/8-scale-friendly track. It was there once before and it was super fun.

[​IMG]

I have hundreds of pictures like this. There's definitely room for 1/8-scale out there.
    [/quote]

Now that looks like a fun place to race. Would be great if this gets off the ground and you all can make it happen. Super glad for your possibilites. Best of luck!
  17. Nexus

Nexus Registered

It's completely unlikely that it will ever be covered. Covering the track would require:
    • a bunch of money that nobody has
    • a bunch of labor that nobody wants to do
    • lights under the covering, which requires power. There is no power to this facility.
  18. lscottd

lscottd Registered

That's cool just wondering. but I'm here to help. :)
  19. Nexus

Nexus Registered

Klamath Falls runs during the spring and summer, weather permitting. Great group of guys and fun racing.

There's a private track in Jacksonville that runs "big event" type races like the Oregon Pro Series. I've never been there personally, but it has quite a following and is a very large track.

There's a track in Redding, CA that a handful of members travel to on occasion, as well as Chico, CA.
  20. Rebuilt Rusty

Rebuilt Rusty Registered

Wow, I know I'm not in the area anymore so my opinion on the tracks won't carry any weight, but I got to run on the oval a few times( a couple were actual races) and I for one loved the hell out of it. It may not bring in the numbers like off-road does but there may be some off-roaders who may run the oval and then get hooked on it. I remember running my slash 4x4 straight from the off road track to the oval(ran my 4x4 heat then threw a fresh battery in it and tossed it onto the oval) and having a blast. I honestly think tearing down the oval would be a tragedy and a huge mistake. There is plenty of room to build an off-road track on the current off-road side( I ran on the old lay out when chad was in control of the property) and there is more area to build other stuff.

[​IMG]
    Austin shot this during one race
    [​IMG]
    along with these which I stitched together