1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

FPV Monitor

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Pelagic Pilot, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I just ordered one of these monitors for FPV, at $28.00 it is worth a try......

http://www.quickship.com/haier-hlt71-7in-lcd-tv-REFURB
  2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Wow!  That's a deal.  Did you notice they had 2200 of them in stock? 

I kinda like this one to: 
    http://www.quickship.com/audiovox-fpe709-portable-7in-lcd-tv-refurb?sid=42umh1ttfs0dfivf5urr0p46t7

...Tiger
  3. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Great deal on a portable screen! I've thought many times about getting one myself. Instead I chose a USB video input adapter for my laptop. Works great and comes with software for DVD authoring. Plus the bigger screen is better for my poor eyes! Bring yours out to Redwood School one of these Sundays, I'd like to see it first hand and see if I can actually focus on the image - honestly, my eyes are terrible :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100112
  4. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    WOW those are great prices! They are refurbished though, would think any user-reviews would be important?

Nevertheless the J.o.B being asked of them we couldn't get better for the price. I need for my Nikon a better monitor as I also need one battery powered and w/ HDMI support as the one I have now only outs VGA. So I'm going to have a look more into quickship to find something for me

... Thank you for the linkage PP [​IMG]

[hr]

If looking {LOL} only teasing! I know were NOT given the prices I'm going to show everyone

Nevertheless have a look at what's being offered at the professional end of the pool. Look if ONLY to educate or for comparison or for FUN but given what the end use will be here I believe these monitors would be out of the league for most ... Maybe for those w/ bigger pockets or for those w/ a wider range of interest ... And {HeHe} that was the end of my disclaimer!

Anyhow here's some Pro-Level offerings and also have a look at some of the other name brands offered at Vistek to maybe find something in the Mid-Range --->
    It's my understanding going by what I've been reading that "Marshall" are the best name in the "industry" or in the least one of the more popular names
    Yup they be a BIG HIT to yur old'n dusty wallet {LOL} Being rhetorically facetious, look if only to SEE what your missing!?! [​IMG]

[shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow]
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Do you need a tuner in a FPV monitor?
  6. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Nope, just video input. They have video to VGA things so you can use a computer monitor. But for the price i just wanted to give this a try.
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

I'm looking forward to your feedback about this when you get it.  Maybe a video review?
  8. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

There was 2190 in stock and as soon as I hit purchase it went to 2189, so I guess it's real, but it has not moved yet since then so I don't know?
  9. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

GC, that is what I used to start my FPV, I have a Pinnacle Dazzle USB converter, the problem is that if you are flying and your computer crashes, screen saver comes on, computer CPU gets busy and the video lags, you will crash or lose the aircraft. I have flown about 60 times with the USB thing, and had it glitch only once, the one time it glitched my helo was on the ground......it would have been a total loss otherwise....

The other issue with monitors (TV) is that if they lose a signal they go blue (or black) screen until the signal returns to a preset level before displaying the video again. Very few TV sets will maintain an image with poor signal..... This TV is sold by Hobby Wireless where I buy my camera stuff so I hope they did the research to know if it holds a signal or not.

Same TV, higher price.....
    http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52_66&products_id=621

ReadymadeRC has a confirmed no blue screen TV here, cheaper than the Hobby Wireless and 9" too! I would get this one for a full price, serious FPV monitor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIC_-9nU95U
  10. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

There was 2190 in stock and as soon as I hit purchase it went to 2189, so I guess it's real, but it has not moved yet since then so I don't know?
    [/quote]

Thought the stock amount would be BS, as of right now the stock is at 1,662 and the price is now $34.00......
  11. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

The Haier is a great TV to use for a monitor, a lot of guys are using it, and the most important thing it doesn't go to blue screen went you get static or a dropped signal. A lot of TV type monitors will go to blue screen at the first sign of a signal loss.
  12. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Did a quick video review of my new camera mount and the Haier TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpSYStoHm8I
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

I see the issue with the television going black screen, but does it automatically come back on when the helicopter comes back in range?
  14. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    The real trick would be NOT to LET it become an issue w/ the following --->Following read was interesting as some of their idea's went against the norm, was surprising for this reader ;)

[shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow]

PS: My VIDEO is broked !?! Maybe a small review w/ words  [​IMG]

15. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Yes, the signal will return once strong enough, but as you know in a heli, just a few seconds is enough to end up sideways on the ground, I suggest overkill on the Tx, and run Cloverleaf antennas for the best results....
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

Am I missing something?  If the signal gets lost on the television, isn't it lost on the laptop also?
  17. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Not necessarily. Depending on signal strength, TV's blue-screen and loose all visual, whereas the laptop still receives whatever signal is being broadcast - though it will likely get "snowy".
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

Ahh, OK.  In the demo it looked like both were un-usable video, but that makes sense as I've seen plenty of YouTube videos where the video is broken up and snowy.  Those must be taken from the FPV feed instead of a on-board camera-to-memory-card setup.
  19. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Yeah, if it gets all snowy on something that does not blue/black screen you might just barely make out what is horizon vs ground and just keep it level enough to not crash until the signal can improve. At that level where it is just barely usable, but still usable enough to at least give you a chance, the TV may decide to shut off then you have zero chance..........
  20. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Oh, I just realized the confusion, sorry about that. In my demo I unplugged the power from the camera to show that with even NO signal the laptop does not "shut off" it keeps accepting and displaying whatever signal is present all the way down to zero. I would have to set up the TV and have someone drive away with my camera in their car to see at what level the TV will "shut off".