1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

FPV FLYING - LONG AND NORMAL RANGE

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Tiger, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Tiger

Tiger Registered

A friend of mine in Cali just sent me this link.  Not sure I agree with everything it says, but still it has some good information.

http://www.terranova.net/~winger/RCVideoStore/DragonLink/Flying/Flying.htm

...Tiger
  2. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Just curious what part you don't like? I didn't agree with the negativity about 2.4 Ghz range and that using boosters was illegal. You can buy the boosters at Staples (or maybe it was Best Buy) for a few dollars, 1 Watt is legal in the US.
  3. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

Not without a FCC License. You have to have a Amateur Technician License.
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I admit to not have studied 15.247 intimately, and I could certaintly be wrong on this, but my current understanding is that in non-ham a user was allowed 1 watt TP (30 Dbm) with just under 4 watts ERP with omni antenna and various amounts of diminishing transmitter power depending on how much gain the antenna afforded. So yes, it would be illegal for a non ham to use a patch antenna with 1 watt, but with a low gain omni it should be ok. It should be noted that this is for 802.11 applications and does not cover other uses. So outside of WIFI I guess I don't really know the answer after all....... Hmmmmmm, just when you thought you had things figured out  :-\

Well at any rate I do have an amateur radio license so I should be covered when I buy that shiny new 1 watt amp I have been drooling over  ;D

Reference chart at this link for 802.11 RF limits:
    http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/wireless/pwr.html
  5. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

Sounds good, To be on the safe side everybody should have a Ham lic.. if there flying fpv. It goes a long way in showing respect for what we are doing with the hobby.
  6. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I take it you must be a ham? Are you active? I used to be on 440 but not so much anymore, I should get the radios out again sometime. I have allready thought about building a mini x-band repeater to launch in a heli/plane to see what other distant repeater you could connect up with  :)
  7. Tiger

Tiger Registered

PP - Did you really mean X-Band (10GHz)?  Nobody is on X-Band!  :)  GPS - Are you a ham?  Makes me wonder how many guys on here are hams.  Got my ticket over 50 years ago.  WA6IKO - Extra Class.  Kept the 6 call when I moved to Oregon 25 years ago.  Had it since I was 12 and didn't seem right to give it up this late in the game.  :)  PP - I'm starting to think you and I have a lot of common ground.  I have a 450 remote base.  Just put up a tower and antenna for it last week at my new shop.  Tower also has a tri-bander on it.  The remote is linked to a 2 meter xcvr and was also linked to an ICOM HF rig until recently.  That was pretty cool.  I could take my handheld radio on walks and talk all over the world. 

Who else on here is a ham????

...Tiger
  8. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

X-band, 10 Ghz, Ha, no, didn't even know that band existed yet? I am starting to get into 5.8 Ghz a little bit (wifi). I meant a cross band repeater. Pick a 2 meter repeater in another area, plug that in one side of a dual band HT and pick a 440 simplex for the other and enter cross band repeat mode. Launch it in the heli up into some elevation and see if that will link you through to the distant 2 meter repeater.

And yes, I am a ham, N7ZMR since 1992 (took my test at OIT in Klamath Falls). In the early 2000's I brought the first APRS activity to Southern Oregon with FIELDR which is still on the air today:

http://aprs.fi/?call=fieldr&mt=roadmap&z=13&timerange=3600&_s=ss_call

I still need to get an RF Echolink station setup, but there are only so many hours in the day  :-\

Now I really need to see your shop sometime!
  9. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

No not a ham, I just got my lic to be legal for FPV,  I have been looking for a reasonable Hand held, but not sure which way to go,  heck I can't even remember half the stuff I leaned on the test.  But if we are going to be Rc hamming I may have to step it up a bit...
  10. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Well, if you got your Lic. then your a HAM! For an HT you will want a dual band for sure, 2M and 440. Opinions vary, but if you want nice then I like Kenwood, if you want cheap, but works good, then Alinco. You will probably want to consider APRS if you are going to be serious about FPV. APRS makes a great AFF, even better than OSD. Kenwood makes a nice APRS HT. Big Red Bee, Argent Data and Byonics make good trackers that would fit RC aircraft.
  11. Tiger

Tiger Registered

GC - Yep!  You're a ham!

Hey PP - How about this one:  http://www.tigertronics.com/tm1.htm    I like the name!  :)

...Tiger
  12. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

I'm still studying for my Amateur Technician License. The RVF has several members that are big into HAM and are setup/certified/licensed (whatever) to administer the test. Looking forward to getting it done soon so I can get my FPV birds in the air!!! I did an FPV presentation for the club this past Wednesday and was surprised at how little everyone present knew of the concept/idea! Many are long-time HAM operators, but never took the technology to the air with video! Anyway, I'll have mine soon enough and will be a video posting whore :D