1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Daily Courier: "Oregon to use radio-controlled helicopter on fires"

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Tiger, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Tiger

Tiger Registered

06/22/14 Todays Daily Courier: "Oregon to use radio-controlled helicopter on fires"

Here is the link, but you may not be able to read it unless you subscribe to the on-line or paper edition:
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ROL-?SITE=ORGRA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

This is long article talking about what they are planning to do. I really wish I could post the whole article here, but I'm sure someone would jump on me if I did. However... I will risk snatching a couple short paragraphs that I think are of special interest to most of us. :)

"The state's Department of Forestry will get the chance this summer to use a small remote-controlled helicopter equipped with video, infrared cameras and a GPS locator to get a better look in tight smoky places before incident commanders send in fire crews."

"Covered by a federal grant, the off-the-shelf Century model G30 cost about $1,800. The cost will total about $5,000 once it is outfitted it with video and infrared cameras, and GPS, said Tyson Shultz, a department stewardship forester assembling the craft and getting qualified to fly it."

Hmmm.... "Tyson Shultz" (aka: "Pelagic Pilot")

...Tiger

Attached Files:

2. GPS

GPS Registered

Cool!

I think Tyson got one of these now:

nasa-ikhana-uav.jpg
  3. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I think that's the stealth model. You can't tell which direction it's flying. Pretty tricky! :)

...Tiger