1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

CCD HD No Jello

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Pelagic Pilot, May 20, 2013.

1. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

So I am ordering a new camera this week. I think I am getting a Powershot A2200. I see that these point and shoot cameras are CCD instead of CMOS, so no jello effect, and can do 720@30 and handles low light very well. Here is a good example of a CCD in action on a trex 450:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g27-_tv1qGQ

And they are really inexpensive compared to a gopro.
  2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

What I like about that camera is no fish eye!  That's what I hate about the GoPro et all.

...Tiger
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

As these cameras get better and better I am starting to get more critical.  I notice things like iris changes more than I used to and that camera in the video seems to have a slowly responding iris with large steps.
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

My camera has shipped, will need to make a protective mount for it. Looking forward to hopefully what will be jello free videos!  ;D
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Will you fly this camera on your existing 450 helicopter or will you be waiting for your tricopter build?
  6. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I will use it on both the heli and tricopter I have now. Need to make a new mount just for it first though.
  7. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Camera arrived, mount built, test done. I like it, have not done a real flight, but so far it seems to work well. I like how it captures audio, makes the blades sound cool  8)

http://youtu.be/lQyVOWsQW5Y
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Cool, nice to see a 'real' camera put into the air
    ... Have you tried the cameras Image Stabilization?
    ... I would be curious to see if 'stabilization' helps as it's designed to compensate for certain camera movements, hand tremors and vibrations per say?

After looking at your video, agreed, the camera is doing a good job in low light. [​IMG]
    ... but not to be dismissive we would (should) expect that with cameras made today.
  9. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Have not tried any setting other than AUTO, will need to read up on it.

Here is the first outdoor daylight test from this morning:

http://youtu.be/w1sPN2-Plf4
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

Hey, your videos are looking great!  I was surprised at the quality from that camera.  I've seen several really nice brushless gimbal projects and I'me sure you have also.
    Do you want your gimbal to fit under your 500 size landing gear, or were you planning to go with the typical "Stilts"?
  11. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Not sure yet, also I forgot about the KK2 being able to run a servo gimble, might look into that as well. Need to adjust some gains too, I think it will slow down the bouncing when it gets wind.
  12. LEM504

LEM504 Registered

About the image stabilization.
    I picked up a Sony Action Cam HDR-AS10 just for that feature.
    It may do wonderful things for hand held, but mounted on the quad, I saw no difference, on/or off.  Not really an accurate test.  Conditions change, and I pushed it in gusty winds.
    Great camera, but I think the Gopro 2 has the edge for distance focus.
    Have used both set at 1080, 120 degrees 30 fps.
    Very little Jell-o with either mounted solid.

I know nothing about video editing, but beginning to think it may solve
    Most of our problems. 
    Has anyone tried this one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0MBkJG6k0

If so, could a novice get through it?

Ideas???

LEM
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

I've used some deshakers but not the one you linked.  I was not happy with any of them.  The results I got was a lot of, for a better word, "pumping".  The video gets zoomed in, as you saw in the video you linked, and then in moments where the native input video has little or no shake the video zooms back out.  This results in a zooming in and back out (pumping) that in my opinion is worse than the original shaky video.  It's like someone is constantly messing with the zoom...and there is no zoom on the camera.

Even if you manage to get some decent results from the de-shake software you will still lose some of the wide angle benefits from your camera.

Maybe if the input video has steady shake or only mild shake you may be happy with the results.

In my opinion the best solution is to keep the shake out in the first place.  You know, Garbage in, garbage out.  You will be better served to get a decent gimbal and some good anti-vibration isolators.

BTW: I've been watching that Sony Action Cam HDR-AS10 for some time and my guess is that if you are getting blurry video at long distance you indeed have more vibration in your airframe than you think.
  14. LEM504

LEM504 Registered

John,
    Thanks for the advice.  What I wanted was perfect, and admittedly skipped a lot of the fine details.  I probably didn't deserve the results I got.
    Will go to work on the vibration.
    Installed a cheap servo gimbal and it was an improvement, but I can see the need for a better one.  Must be the reason for the big jump in price.
    At times it is silky smooth and others it acts like stepper motors.    Oh well --    I had no idea what I was getting into.

Larry
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

There are some really nice DIY brushless gimbals being built right now and from what I've been seeing they are really good.  Before you go there  though I would work on your camera mount.  I saw a dramatic improvement from what I thought was already good video when I went with a memory-foam mount.  I got the memory foam at Fred Meyer but you have to look carefully because it gets mixed up with the standard foam.  Give the foam a pinch with your fingers and you will notice right away when you find a piece of memory foam.  Both times the stuff I found was white, not the black or dark gray foam.
    I'm using about an inch+ (the thickness of the foam I found) all the way around my camera but also not too tight on the camera, just snug enough that it won't move around.

The memory foam mount may not be the best long term solution, but it is cheap and it will help you realize what your camera can do.  This will help you as a video quality reference for later when you make or buy a gimbal.

BTW: The foam I found both times was in the hardware and tools area at the Fred Meyer in Grants Pass.  I think the sheets were about 18-24 inches by 24-36 inches.

Another thing you can do if you have a Android or iPhone is download one of the "Seismic" apps.  This can help you identify vibrations coming from your motors or propellers.  I got this one for Android for free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lul.vibration.monitoring
  16. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I have never liked the deshaker either, I agree with getting the best video to start with as you can. Gimbles are becoming very common now. I filmed my friend starting his jet ski today at the river. Unless you can eliminate 100% vibration a CMOS camera with show jello. The CCD I am using now is just bolted on to the helicopter with very little effort to control vibration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSLxy4Zzavk&hd=1
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

I know that place, that's where they start the Duck Derby.  Very nice and clear video.  I noticed you didn't fly out over the river.  In case you do, and crash, I have the George of the Jungle MP3.  ;)
  18. LEM504

LEM504 Registered

On the right track.
    No luck with the memory foam.  Went through piles in about 6 stores. Everyone said they had it, but only found two that knew what it was. Isolated the top frame of the gimbal
    from the bottom of the quad frame with 4 disposable ear plugs.  Then added a couple more rubber bands to the gimbal.
    Quick check with the iphone app, showed major improvement.  Vibration on the gimbal was 1/4th that of the main frame.  Down the road, will balance the motors and props, and play with the servo gains.  Gimbal servos are still the weak link, but I think I have milked about all they will do, without going to brushless. 
    Time to go back to having fun.  Will try for perfect later ( if there is any such thing )
    Thanks for the help.

LEM
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

Sorry Larry, I should have been more clear about the foam.  None of the sales people knew they had it when I purchased mine.  They only knew they had "foam".  In fact I think it was a error that they had it when I got mine.
    I've only found two sheets and on both occasions it was the only piece they had and were mixed in the stack of normal foam.  I found the first piece by chance and then I just checked the stacks of foam any time I was at Fred Meyer after that.

Another reason I think it was a mistake is because they only charged me the price of normal foam and if you've ever priced any of those memory foam pillows and neck supports you know that memory foam is not cheap.
  20. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

same here, I dug through the fred meyer pile and found one square of memory foam, it is slightly more white than the other foams and a squeeze confirms it. No one there will know what your talking about.

But with a CCD you won't need any foam  ;D

This one won't do HD, but hard to beat the price for at least a spare camera just have...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830244135