1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Brushless Traxxas Rustler, waterproof?

Discussion in 'Off Road' started by Derek A. Brown, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Derek A. Brown

Derek A. Brown Registered

I recently bought a brushed Traxxas Rustler to use as my winter basher. The reason I went brushed was because I was afraid of killing a brushless motor in the snow or water. But now I'm having second thoughts.
    Is the Titan 550 brushed any more waterproof than a brushless motor. I like that the Titan 550 is cheap to replace, but it's slow compared to my other RC's.
    So I'm just wondering if anyone knows how water resistant a brushless motor is or what is a good brushed motor that would give me more power. I already have the 8.4 Volt batteries (I don't want to run the risk of burning up me ESC with an 11.1 Volt).
    Thanks for any help,
    -Derek, Next Level RC
  2. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

dude to tell you the truth the 12t titan motor will have alot of speed and power but you need to run lipo to get the most out of it! Also the xl5 esc if thats whats in it wont handle a 3s lipo (11.1v) the differance between lipo and nihm is night and day and anymore you can get lipos for the same cost of a nihm or cheaper is some case's! I do know that ALL BRUSHED motors are water proof no matter what one you get! If you would of gotten the brushless version of the rustler it would of alrdy been waterproof for ya thats how they come stock!
  3. Derek A. Brown

I have run a 7.4 volt LiPo in it and it still seemed slow . . . maybe that's because I'm comparing it to my Brushless E-Maxx . . .
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
    -Derek, Next Level RC
  4. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

does it have the xl5 esc?? if so make sure u change it over to lipo mode and make sure its not in training mode!!
  5. Derek A. Brown

So I just got a second Rustler in the mail and it runs plenty fast with the 8.4v NiMh or the 7.2v LiPo. Something is wrong with the other Rustler. They both have the XL5 ESC. I tried both batteries and I even tried it in LiPo mode and NiMh mode. Would a bad ESC affect the power, make it slow but still make it barely go?
    Thanks again,
    -Derek, Next Level RC
  6. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

i think it might be in training mode to switching modes!
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

If it's about 50% slower than I would agree that it is probably in training mode. I think there is a LED code indicating that isn't there?
  8. Derek A. Brown

Turns out it must be the motor . . the curse of the Titan 550. I plugged the XL5 in question into the motor on the other truck that's complete, and it ran top notch. I then plugged the complete truck's XL5 into the motor in the slow truck . . . sure enough. Major difference in RPM's and power between the two; one is about half as powerful as the other.
    Just ordered a Reedy Radon 17t Motor ASC9626, read somewhere that it would have more power and reliability than the Titan 550. I will know soon, that's for sure. =)

-Derek, Next Level RC
  9. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

well im glad to hear you found the problem! Those reedy radon motors are good motors! wish you would of said something before you ordered it i have 2 spares im not using atm i would of gave you one!!
  10. Derek A. Brown

Dang! Its a bad habit . . I need it, I order it.
  11. Derek A. Brown

There's no hobby shop here in Roseburg, so I can't just go pick it up. :(

That's a big reason why I now have the inventory that I do, lol . . I got tired of waiting for the mail truck! :cool:

-Derek. Next Level RC
  12. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

lol i know how you feel! now that sledds closed i hate going to mild to wild and adams new shop just havent gotten the invatory yet so i just order stuff also!