1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

BAT-SAFE - Safe Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Electronics and Electrical' started by GPS, Mar 3, 2016.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

2. GPS

GPS Registered

I've pledged towards this project. I chose the one BAT-SAFE shipped worldwide pledge and the cost after shipping was $44. They estimate a retail cost of $49 afterwards so you only save a few bucks but it looks like a reasonable device to have for charging batteries.
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

Just after Christmas I received a package from the Bat-Safe folks. It took a little longer then they planned, so many crowdfunding projects do, but they did indeed deliver what they promised. I have already used it but I have not set it up properly yet as I want to make some custom length cables to pass through the wire-way.
    The product is well made and for the $49 price well worth it in my opinion. You can learn more and order one from their website here:

http://www.bat-safe.com/

Here are a few photos showing my Bat-Safe.

bat-safe-1.png bat-safe-2.png bat-safe-3.png bat-safe-4.png bat-safe-5.png

That thing wrapped in the foam is the charger bracket that attaches to the top. I'm not sure I will be using it because my charger is big and heavy. I've just been setting my charger next to the Bat-Safe for now.

The gray thing in the top right corner is the wire-way. The long protrusions into the case are to help pull the wire-way through the top lid with the wires sandwiched between the two halves instead of pulling on and potentially damaging the wires.

They claim that the filter in the top reduces the smoke that escapes and if a fire should ever happen it will reduce smoke damage as well as the fire hazard. I think they have a video on their website showing them causing battery fires and how the Bat-Safe handled the fire and smoke.

Previously I used a LiPo bag for charging but from the videos I saw it seems that if you do ever have a fire this thing will offer more protection. I think one of their videos demonstrates a LiPo bag fire in case you want to see what that's like compared to a fire in the Bat-Safe.

The way I see it is the Bat-Safe costs less than one battery and might save a ton of grief.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

5. GPS

GPS Registered