1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Aquacraft UL-1 Superior

Discussion in 'Power Boats' started by GPS, Feb 13, 2012.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

I picked up a speedboat at the swap meet in Roseburg.  No clue where I will be able to run this thing, but it sure looks cool.

Attached Files:

2. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Very cool! We'll have to go churn up some water when the weather gets nicer! Check my Miss Budweiser Hydro thread for places to run these :)

http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?topic=585.msg5316#msg5316

Check reply #16 ;)
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

I doubt I'll have this boat that long.
  4. Golden Child

? ??? ?
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

It's for sale already.
  6. Golden Child

What are the specs? And how much??
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

The specs and manual can be found here:
    http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub20-ul1-superior/index.html

I't already listed on eBay.
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Sup Yoda, just looking over your boat I have have say she looks well engineered, well made.

hehe I was surprised to see the water-cooling on the ESC, that's so cool ...

Are all electric boats water-cooled like that? And why you selling so quick?
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't know much about RC boats so I think the questions could be better answered by others who do them like Golden Child and Highlandcrawler as I know they have boats and run them.  As far as I know water cooling is common on some boats, at least the ones that I looked at.  I picked this boat up at the swap meet but I don't really have a place close enough that is also big enough to run it so I am selling it.  It is a very cool boat and is well made.  The guy I got it from showed me some videos of it running and it is super fast and he told me you really need some still water otherwise it takes off which is the other matter as the water that is close to me is a river and it isn't still at all.
  10. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

How much is it going for? I don't want to surf around the bay looking for it. I get in trouble with all the cool stuff available there. I was toying with the idea of getting/ building a tunnel hull this off season but my scratch build on a rigger is taking a lot of time so building is out and buying is in lol. Is it all stock? any idea on how old it is or the life it lead before you had it?
  11. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

Any "good" boat will have water cooled electronics. With the crazy current boats draw its a must. Boats will melt down a deans connector like nothing. They run a jacket or coils for cooling the motor ( jacket being better and more efficient) and the esc will have a cooling block also. They pick water up from the rudder or pickup tube and pump it through the system and out a hole in the side. You can water cool land based units as well by attaching a homemade cooling block directly to the fets.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

It's around $150 now.  It's in great shape but the hatch is not the original part and it is missing the original nose canopy.  It appears to have been well taken care of.
  13. w00d

w00d Registered

Any "good" boat will have water cooled electronics. With the crazy current boats draw its a must. Boats will melt down a deans connector like nothing. They run a jacket or coils for cooling the motor ( jacket being better and more efficient) and the esc will have a cooling block also. They pick water up from the rudder or pickup tube and pump it through the system and out a hole in the side. You can water cool land based units as well by attaching a homemade cooling block directly to the fets.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the input HighLand*

hehe, last time I played w/ water-cooling was cooling my CPU on an overclocked PC.

Used in this instance is something NEW and interesting for me. Yeah water-cooling the motor would be logical, I guess we could say these Boat Motor/ESC/BEC's are "Overclocked"

... Anyhow IMO water-cooling on these boats is just good thinking ... LOL, and sure why not as I'm sure there's plenty water available for them, eh

For the CAR/Trucks I would think the availability of water would be and issue do they use a Radiator, they must?

How do they do their water-cooling [​IMG] Any PICS ?

[shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow]
  14. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

A little tiny radiator mounted in front of the tail rotor to water cool the heli esc/motor would be neat.
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

A water pumping system would require another motor to pump the cooling liquid.  Maybe a heat pipe system as used on some computer system CPU/GPU would be better as they are sealed and work by evaporation and capillary action instead of mechanically pumped liquid.
  16. w00d

w00d Registered

Sorry gents but the Laws I, II and III of Thermodynamics rule ... Before Rc Heli's I was (still am really) was over-clocking CPU/GPU (GPU is the Video Cards CPU) thus I was Water-Cooling and Air-Cooling. I know for some it can be counter intuitive but Water-Cooling is NO more efficient than Air-Cooling. Except with Water-Cooling especially with respect to PC's and their CPU's we can bring a large or larger radiator (usually outside of the box) to the cooling. Where as with Air-Cooling and it's associated Heat-Sink are limited in size to the area of the CPU and near to it. To translate this to our helicopters it's just too much weight to be adding! Where as Air-Cooling outside of the Heat-Sink to (possibly as it's not always true) the ESC/Bec and to the Motor would be less weight than would be if Water-Cooling and/or to a lesser degree if a Heat-Pipe was introduced to the system ... Bang for the buck ain't there ;)

[shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow]
  17. Golden Child

There's always liqiud nitrogen :eek: I've seen it done in extreme CPU overclocking as far back as the early 90's!
  18. w00d

w00d Registered

LOL true now were talking extrema cooling, but think back to what you read. I'm thinking about the major issue with this type off cooling as it's also true of PELTIER Cooling or Thermoelectric Cooling which is Condensation!

Real trick would be implementing to an helicopter ... Then we need a reason, were talking a seriously "over-clocked" motor here which could be done. Maybe w/ ceramic bearings then sure pump in the AMPS ... Better bearings all around I would think given the RPM implied!

{LMAO} but of course "Submerged" cooling would be real difficult to implement on a helicopter
    [inset evil-eye here] http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

3m come out with a liquid specifically engineered for submerged cooling electronics but the actual name of the stuff escapes me!?!
    [EDIT] Found the 3m Liquid, Fluorinert -  more info ... FYI: More about Submerged Cooling here [/EDIT]

Innovation is what move it ALL forward so I shouldn't be sayin never, "never say never" eh ;)

19. GPS

GPS Registered

I saw a demonstration years ago on Fluorinert.  They had a CRT television with the back removed turned on and playing sitting submerged in a tank of  the stuff.