1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Ao Sen Ma CG035 quad owners ?

Discussion in 'Multirotor' started by Helmar, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Helmar

Helmar Registered

I have two of the CG035's and was wondering if we had any other folks here with them.
    I did the search and came up with zero.
    Helmar
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

3. Helmar

Helmar Registered

Yes, that is the one. LIke I said, its Packed with all kinds of features but with two of them, one one is working. I am almost afraid of the thing due to I got a good wind gust and it went into a bush and before I could shut down the motors, it burnt out the stupid ESC boards on the front right and left.
    I mean you could count 1, 2, 3 before the controller would shut them down and that is too long.
    So those suckers are only 9 bucks each but No one has them.
    Big thread about them over at the RCGroups.com about the issues those have.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...h-1080P-HD-Gimbal-Camera-Follow-Me-Mod/page49

They have a real quality control issue with them and then banggood had them for $199 bucks with a coupon that made it even less. Banggood has Crap for service like most of them off in China.

I had one day with no wind and rain that I was able to take it out and keep it the hell away from Anything but the ground and had a Blast with it. Some of the boys would have issues with the programming of the transmitters, such as once you used the Auto take off, some of the motors would not idle any longer. Others, that is not a issue. Some that have Flashed the transmitter had turned them into bricks so I stay away from having to do that.
    Learning the hard way you have to make damn sure its Flat or Level on the ground before even plugging in the battery. No off and on switch on the newer ones.

I figured these would be a good starters as I was and still am looking into building one with at least a half hour run time.
    I have the www.classicboat.com site for us old guys with early fiberglass 50's boats and thought this would be killer to have one of these in follow us mode.
    One of these days anyway.

So, how many drones do you have and what is your favorite ?
    One fellow that started that RCGroups.com on the CG035's has 70 drones !....Hope I don't get that wild with this but who knows.
    In the boat club, one of the members started a 12 step program for No More Boats so it was NMB we would talk about, me, I confused it for Need More Boats ;-)
    I have 5 fiberglass classics. So maybe NMD for No More Drones after a dozen :)
    Helmar
    GPS likes this.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Bummer about those speed controllers during out. Doesn't seem right that they would burn out so easily. Transmitter programming is always a thing no matter what type of model you have. Sooner or later you want to do something specific that requires some program changes. I think this is where you start to see a divide in the RC folks with some liking Spektrum or Futaba or Taranis. Some good advise might be to look at transmitters first and get one that you can understand the programming and feels good in your hands. After you done a few of the programmable transmitters you can more or less figure out the various programming methods. I started with Spektrum but right now my main air transmitter is Futaba. Last time I was at the flying field most guys had moved to Taranis radios.

I think one of the scariest things is flying your quad over water. Even though I know my model very well it's always a little hairy. Seen way too many fall into the water. You sure will want to make sure you know your quad before doing that follow mode stuff. DJI Phantoms used to fly away all the time and that's bad enough on land.

Is that classicboat.com website your's? Pretty cool. I'm not a boat guy but have always liked those old Mahogony type boats. Timeless classic styling for sure. @Golden Child was/is a boat guy. I don't know if he still does any RC boats but he used to build some really amazing boats, in Medford I think.

I have five multirotors and a few kits needing building. I wouldn't say I have a favorite because all of mine are different and have different purposes. I enjoy each one of them and their individual flying characteristics. I don't think I'd need 70 quads, but never say never right. ;)

John
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  5. Helmar

Helmar Registered

I forgot about my Futabu radio. Can't remember what it is but it was form one of the helicopters.
    Pretty sure its too old to use but should go dig it out to see.

The boat club I started way back when and for the most part, anyone paying dues own the club and make the decisions but yeah I am the one holding the bag so to speak, everything is in my name.

Now I see the list in your signature of what all you have going on. I see you have the AX10 like I have.
    I need to get a some pictures of mine...
    Back to work (yeah, still working at 69, sucks)

Helmar
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Helmar, did you find out what Futaba radio you have? What transmitter(s) do you have?

I was checking out your boat website. Why is this called a "Triple Cockpit"? I see three places to sit, but can you drive the boat from all of them? Can the steering wheel and controls be moved to the other seating positions? Pretty boat. That looks like it would be fun to cruise around on.

John
  7. Helmar

Helmar Registered

Hi John.
    No on the Futaba. Its a old one as I bought it must of been 15 years ago. Most likely obsolete like most of my stuff.

Wrong website. I did my time with the old wooden boats but got really tired of the limitations of them, like Salt water for instance.
    Way too much maintenance on them so got into to the 50's Fiberglass boats that resemble automobiles.
    Its www.classicboatclub.com

Triple cockpit is nothing other than three places to seat people, weird huh..

Helmar
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi Helmar,
    Those are still some nice looking boats. Very nostalgic.

Bummer about the Futaba radio. Everything is digital now so picking a radio that you can or want to get along with is kind of a must. The good news is that the prices keep dropping so you can get a nice radio without a ton of money...but you can still spend a lot if you want great big displays and more bells and whistles.

John
  9. Helmar

Helmar Registered

I will go find that Futaba radio. Its in a packing crate up in the loft. I think it was one of the first digital units. I think it was 5 channel and I know it was programmable...
    Thanks on the boats. Can't afford building hot rods any longer so Boats, hold there value it seems. They will go up in price as that is now starting to happen.

Just came down from the loft, knew pretty much what packing crate it was in (I mark whats in them on the front)

So, its a Futaba PCM 1024. I got the whole kit, servos, RX, batteries which are still Nicad, but that is easy to convert.
    Now, if I can use the thing I sure will as I do remember using it on one helicopter and never really got into it doing the programming at the time.
    Anyway, here are some pictures of it.
    I guess I need to research to see if its usable or able to be converted as so I can use it.
    I do remember paying the big bucks for it when I did buy it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

That's a nice looking radio. If you have the RX you should be able to use it on a custom quad. It does appear to be a FM (72 Mhz) radio and not a 2.4 Ghz type common today. I was able to locate this info:

http://www.futabarc.com/downloads/notes-8u.html

On that link you can download a manual in case you don't have yours. I believe this is the one you have specifically:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8uafs-8uaps-manual.pdf

I am no expert on FM radios but I presume you could still use your radio on a new quad with the flight controllers we've been talking about but you might want to talk/email the support people at the shop you intend to purchase a flight controller from to make sure.
  11. Helmar

Helmar Registered

Sorry. Been fighting this stupid AoSenMa hunk of junk.
    I suggest NO one purchase that thing. Out of two of them, can't keep one running.

Looking for something dependable, something with Failsafe. Maybe the Bugs 3....
    I wasted 400 bucks and have junk...Really depressing.

More reason to build one.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

Sorry you are fighting your quad. I hope you don't get discouraged from drone flying. I've seen it so many times when people get a problem first model and get turned off from the hobby.

Since we were talking about you building one I updated a post with some photos of one of our models. It is a DIY project built using one of those (literally) bulletproof "Game of Drones" frames. You can see it by clicking here. Check out the videos in the beginning of the thread to see how tough this frame is. For the $400 you spent on the AoSenMa quads you could have built a couple of these or one with a lot of bells and whistles.
  13. Helmar

Helmar Registered

Hey John.
    I don't think I am getting discouraged as I just bought that JJRC Eilfie which has the altitude holed and the FPV to the smart phone.
    Took me a little to get used to using the phone and not the controller is all. That one feature that, forgot what its called now, but you just tip the phone forward, back, left and right and the quad follows that. Pretty slick..
    I went to that link and Yes, that looks pretty nice for sure to build from. Its the From stuff I need to work on. I would like to add a bunch of features to it. The GPS and that Follow me are the most important as I would like to put a camera on it and get at least a minimum of 20 minutes of flight time just to follow those old boats around when we are having those events.
    People will gather and watch us when we have those out and when we get 5 or more classics, you can always see people following us and taking pictures. Some will stop and ask about these old things.
    My favorite tends to change and right now its my 17ft 1957 Uniflite (1 of only 500 ever made). It even has a Fisher Peirce BearCat motor on it.
    They were built back in the early 60's and were Four Stroke !. No oil mix and will idle All day fishing at 500rpms. I have three of those.
    I was thinking of sticking a picture on behind this but....this is Not a boat forum :)

So, getting a drone to follow us would be Great! plus a good thing for the club.
    That is what got me started in all of this so once I dump these Aosenma's will be building one.

I am not sure but these are brushless motors so maybe I can get away with using the GPS board and maybe motors form the one?
    Might be worth looking into.

Helmar
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

You have three of those boats? Do they all have the Fisher Peirce motors? You can post photos here, we like to see other hobbies as well.

I tried to see what motors are on your AoSenMa but couldn't find anything. One of the Amazon reviewers stated that he had motor troubles which would be concerning to me if I was going to be flying over water like you want to. I also don't know if the GPS would work on other flight controllers. If you take it apart and show us the PCB and maybe the connector we could look it up and see what we find.

Considering all you want to do with your drone you might look at something like the DJI Mavik. This will get you all the features you want at a reasonable price point plus a claimed 27 minutes flight time. It is pretty much ready to go for you out of the box.

DJI also still makes the Phantom 3 which you can get for $500. After that the DJI Phantom 4 has several versions and price points. DJI also makes the Inspire 2 which is a professional product.

John
  15. Helmar

Helmar Registered

I still think I want to build or maybe get one and junk out the body. Drones like the DJI Phantom do nothing for me.
    I would rather have a custom built one or more like the racers.

Lets see if I can post some pictures or the boats.
    I have 2.5 Bearcats, well maybe more but only two running.
    That is on the pink and white one and brown and white one.
    The red and white one is a 20 foot 1959 Skagit offshore with a early B-18 Volvo engine and outdrive.
    The blue and white one needs restored and then the other little red and white one needs restored.

This is a expensive hobby. Also do Ham radio as a hobby.
    Think I might have to many hobbies ?

Attached Files:

16. GPS

GPS Registered

All your boats look good. I like the "visor" over the windshield looking ones best I think. Do you do the restoring yourself, like the motors and any fiberglass work? The first red & white one looks like there is room to sleep under there, or is there sleeping quarters on all of them? Is there a kitchen? How far can you go with one of those on a tank of gas?

There are at least a couple other Ham operators on here that I know of.

Since you want to fly over water I remembered seeing some waterproof quadcopter frames a while back and did a little searching, this is what I found. Could be worth a look.

Aquacopters:
    http://www.aquacopters.com

QuadH2O:
    https://www.quadh2o.com

17. Helmar

Helmar Registered

Wow, that first one is a Monster :)
    So, Yes, I do my own restorations as well for others. I have two in the shop now, one from California, one from Olympia Washington that I am doing.
    The red and white one has a sleeping birth and potty in the cabin and a full galley in the cockpit area. Fun to spend the night on her.
    I call her Belair as I sold my 55 chev belair against my will.
    Most of them with the cuddy cabins on them have a sleeping birth in them.
    The Bearcat 4 stroke engine just sips fuel. even less then the 50 Honda 4 stroke.
    The red and white one will carry 40 gallons and I went from Port Townsend, up though the cut round Whidbey Island, to LaConnor were it was built in Skagit County. All the way down and around Whidbey back up to Port Townsend and still had 6 gallons of fuel in the tanks.
    It has that little B-18 Volvo with twin weber carbs on it. She does about 28mph full out which in boats, the call that WOT for Wide Open Throttle. I don't run it that hard, keep it down under 30k rpms which is about 18mph which she uses much less gallons per hour that way.
    Let see if I have a map of that trip.

My Ham call is KB7DBD by the way. I use the Peak Association network that runs from up above Vancouver Wa clear down below Redding Ca. Mostly just listen unless something interesting comes up and I need to respond.

Still looking and learning for a possible build of a quad...
    Helmar

Attached Files:

18. GPS

GPS Registered

That's quite a trip. Did you do that in one day?

Do you think many Ham operators are into drones?

You can get just the frame of one of those waterproof drones and use some of the parts from what you have.

John
  19. Helmar

Helmar Registered

We went to the 50th Anniversary for the Skagit boats that was in Laconnor Washington, then down to Oak Harbor into a slip for the night and then back to home. We left Oak Harbor early that morning and we were back home by 3 in the afternoon.

I do hear some of the boys on the Peak radio system talking about them from time to time but never jumped in to talk to them as of yet.

Well, my drones are brushless so that is a plus,
    I am not sure if they make some kind of board that will allow add ons. I would like to do the follow me, gps, FPV and the return home would be nice. Still digging into that stuff when I have the free time.
    Helmar
  20. GPS

GPS Registered

Sounds like it was a nice trip.

It might be interesting to learn what Hams are doing, if anything, with drones. I always thought the Ham folks would bring us to a new or better way to remote control these things. Maybe some interesting long range stuff or lower latency video.

What are you thinking you will do next drone-wise?

John