1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Another new newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by GPBill, Sep 26, 2011.

1. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Hi folks,

Another forum newbie here and fellow Oregonian who resides a little north of most of you, up in Corvallis.
    I enjoy most all aspects of RC. My fleet contains planes and helis and one off road truck.
    FPV is another aspect of the hobby I find really interesting but have not got into yet.
    I am glad to share what I know of the hobby and will be looking for information on things I don't.
    So... as I have read somewhere here already, be nice, I'm new here.  ;)
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi Bill - Welcome aboard, it's me Yoda.  Thank you for joining us, it's good to have another Oregonian and helicopter fan on here.  W00d joined recently and was mentioning he is about to, or already has, pulled the trigger on a Gaui quad rotor.  We have another gentleman called "Tiger" who has scratch built a quad and is quite knowledgeable.  The moderator "Golden Child" is a plank guy and has a cool ducted fan F-18 among many other airplanes.

We also have a bunch of knowledgeable racing short course truck guys and a guy who is into rock crawling in a big way, including manufacturing aftermarket parts.

RC-on!
  3. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum! As GPS stated, I am primarily a plane guy. Though I do have a couple RC sandrails, a couple float planes, and recently a jet boat (thanks to Highlandcrawler's input!) I'm putting together an RQ-1 Reaper drone for FPV right now. If you have any questions, I'll do me best to answer them. Flightbox is also a good source for FPV - he just did some arial shots of our local flight group and we're eagerly awaiting the finished products!!! Lots of good folks here, and a wealth of knowledge. Glad to have you aboard :D
  4. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Thanks for the welcome fellas.
    Golden Child, I hope you have the time to post lots on the drone FPV project, I'll be watching.
    GPS, "Yoda", I'm gonna have to get used to the new handle.  :)

I have yet to decide on a "winter" project. Really don't have room for another model, one of any size any way. I'll have to watch wOOd's quad project also.
    Aw the possibilities.
  5. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Hi Bill ... More action here, more people to talk to which is great

As for my QUAD I haven't pulled the trigger just yet ... But very soon, no later than this Friday. Then I'll own the bragging rights

w00d

EDIT: Changed my mind I'm not going with the GAUI QUAD .... This one would be cheaper to run, yeah {LOL}

[​IMG]
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

w00d - Did you read up on Tigers thread about his quad?  I have met him and he has CNC and mill and made his own frames from Delrin.  He also shared with me some interesting links like the "HoverFly" (http://www.hoverflytech.com/) which is a very professional board for creating 4,6 and 8 rotor machines.  They also have a GPS module which brings some interesting capabilities to the system.

Another system he mentioned was OpenPilot (http://www.openpilot.org/), SparkFun (http://www.sparkfun.com/) and QuadRotorFun (http://quadrotorfun.com/) which is his own website.

I think you and Tiger would get along well as you both have electronic skills.
  7. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    "Did you read up on Tigers thread about his quad?"

No not yet but I'm sure I'll get to it sooner or later, most likely sooner. Been spending most of my time here reading through the forum getting to know everybody ...

Although I know of Sparkfun ... I know them well ... I've bought the Arduino (Atmel AVR microcontroller) from them ... Sparkfun does allot of interesting and FUN stuff. I guess if your into Robotics or UAV's it's one of the places you want to be. They also do a some really good electronics tutorials ... I found them an easy read as they are well written and easy to digest

w00d
  8. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Thanks Blueice

wOOd, I have keychain camera that little machine might be able to pick.  ;D