1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

1/8 Electric buggy, which one should i buy?

Discussion in 'Off Road' started by dnsducks, Apr 18, 2012.

1. dnsducks

dnsducks Registered

So i am thinking of maybe adding a 1/8e buggy to the stable this year if the funds become available and need help deciding. i want something that is competitive, but i  don't want to break the bank (read: mugen seiki). looking for something that is a puprose built e-version rather than a nitro convert, and some thing that i can install my own electric into instead of a full RTR. I like my ofna JAMMIN and it has been rock solid and gets driven hard regularly, impressed with the sturdiness of that OFNA anyway..
    My short list right now:
    OFNA HYPER 9e (leading for me right now)
    OFNA NEXX8
    OFNA lx2E
    HB VE8
    HPI Trophy

i wlecome any inputs or other options that might make a good choice. i am not totally brand loyal, but i lean toward the HPI and OFNA mostly becuase of parts compatability and part consolidation. your experiances and opinions are appreciated.
    thanks for all.
  2. Nexus

Nexus Registered

Why not a TLR 8IGHT-E ?
  3. blt4speed

blt4speed Registered

i'm an associated guy, so i would go with the rc8e.2
    the losi is a nice ride too.  of the ones on your list, i like the ve8.
    durango makes a sick buggy too. (but kind of spendy)
    and i'm sure kyosho has a sick electric 1/8 buggy as well.
  4. dnsducks

dnsducks Registered

good thoughts. Thanks guys.

Like i mentioned i am really trying to get the best car i can for the cash.. Kind of a compramise i guess. But i am hoping for something that strikes the balance between performance and investment cost. i have seen the price for the hyper hovering around the $350 range maybe less which is good becuase once i get done adding electrics i want to try and be as close as i can to $500 total invested.

A MAIN is listing the 8EIGHT E at $499.  more than i want to spend i think. although i hear it is a great car with a loyal following.
    i am not overly impressed with rc8e, ( no offense Blt4  ;)) although it is cheaper than the 8ight, i don't know much about it really. what little i have read, it seems like it takes some work to get it where folks like it?  seems more like a nitro convert? although that is only 1/8 e-bug i have driven and it was sweet, but i have nothing else to compare it too.
    VE8 USED to be my first option. the price seems right, but wasn't crazy about the chassy being all plastic, the motor/pinion situation and the layout and smallish shocks on the back.

Gosh, sorry guys.. i hope i don't sound ungrateful. those are all great suggestions.. but you can probably tell i am already leaning heavily toward the Hyper9e. your inputs are appreciated though.

the kyosho inferno VE RTR is both the cheapest at A main (besides the Hyper) but i really don't know much about it. guess i got some reading to do i guess.

was thinking there would be more folks out there with 1/8 e buggys that could give their impressions, but i guess it isn't as popular as i thought?

thanks all!
  5. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

I have a losi 810e and i love it its like you combined 4x4 short course and an 1/8 buggy you could probly get a good roller on ebay for cheap
  6. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

I have to agree with bartle on this one, if you want the least amount of investment buy an RTR Ten SCTE from Sleads for $520 which has all the great electrics already in it and put buggy adapters on it and a buggy bod and your good to go with a proven race rig.  Sleads also has an Ofna Hpyer 10sc which with buggy adapters would also make a good 1/8th buggy.  Hope you choose wisely as the VE and HPI are junk in comparison, and your list of Ofna products is kind of odd considering there really all the same rig just different and newer versions.
  7. blt4speed

blt4speed Registered

Kyosho Inferno VE 4WD Brushless Electric Race Spec 1/8 Off Road Buggy RTR

449.00 with orion power !! proven race design. ready to run .  id upgrade at least the radio system.  then dump the other 150.00 dollars youd be in the 810e into spare parts , gears, a-arms, whatever else specific breakable parts they might have.
    i've driven the 810e adam has and it's friggin insanely sick. 
    But if $ is a factor, i don't see spending 520.00 on a short course truck, just to turn around and spend another 80-140. on buggy conversion (tires, wheels, adapters, body, wing, wing mount) just because the dx3.e that comes with the losi is somewhat sexy for an rtr radio ?  if you want a buggy, then build a buggy.  if you happen to have a convertable 4wd sc then a conversion would be my 2nd option.

about hot bodies, and hpi being junk.  ==>
    http://www.tytessmann.com/results.html
    all the big names make great rides, just find the one thats for you man !!
  8. dnsducks

dnsducks Registered

gr8 info guys, thanks. ;)
    Ohhhh Looo bartle ( in my best MEGAMIND voice ) thanks for your input.  ;) still have your nexx10?\
    as for converting:
    I already have a 4wd SC and plan on keeping it that way. SC is just such a great class and i intend on keeping my truck as it was designed. i am in to my jammin scrt10 for less than $250 and i think it is compeptitive, thanks ebay.! 8)

right now the Kyosho infereno VE RTR is sounding cool. the electrix and all that seem good. i am only wondering about the shocks. they look plastic and i havent havent read otherwise.. wondering if anyone can confirm otherwise?? i think the RTR radio is cool from a glance.. 10 model memory in a nice 2.4 with all the adjustments..seems nice, i think? good package.

still a hyper 9E lean. big difference between it and the nexx8 . even bigger difference (READ: no comparison) between the LX2e as i gather info. i think the hyper 9e is, .... well just plain sick.
    ::)
  9. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Well if you race a good bit you would understand that you can give a PRO driver anything and he will win races.  What actually works for people is a completely different scenario.  For instance alot of us know that a Kyosho will put a hurting to our losi truggies quick, but when driven hard they break constantly and require major maintenance whereas our Losi rigs can be run straight into a pillar and survive, or set on fire and raced the next day. (this has literally been done by myself)
  10. dnsducks

dnsducks Registered

Well if you race a good bit you would understand that you can give a PRO driver anything and he will win races.  What actually works for people is a completely different scenario.  For instance alot of us know that a Kyosho will put a hurting to our losi truggies quick, but when driven hard they break constantly and require major maintenance whereas our Losi rigs can be run straight into a pillar and survive, or set on fire and raced the next day. (this has literally been done by myself)
    [/quote]
    Right, glad you mentioned this as it was a concern of mine. only kyosho i ever owned was a raider that my bro in law gave me from when he was young, and it was broke hard in like 20 mins. chassy damaged,  and that was it. Done. apart from that i can only go off of what i remember from "back in the day" when the the kyosho real popular were popular like tamiya. we are talking mid to late 80's.  and they seemed to break easy from what i remember.
    This is obviously not something i am into.. vehicle durability is a big factor in my decisions. that is why i have been sticking with the HPI products, and i have been pleasantly surprised by the OFNAs. I run a lot of losi electriconics and they have all been great and never let me down. product support is second to none.
    not sure if KYOSHO durabilty is any better that it used to be but the last thing i want is to be breaking all the time..
    thanks for the input
  11. yreka rc

yreka rc Registered

I have raced my inferno ve brushless rtr for a few years.... needs tires and big bore shocks, which i put on after breaking a rim and a shock on chads old track..... i now converted it to a 1/8 electric latemodel, and its pretty sick! Now my new buggy is the rc8.2e and it is super nice! But you will spend $800-$1000 to build it up to race level. Lots of options out there, parts availability is huge tho, so that mite help u decide.  Good luck, e-buggies are the best race cars in my opinion.
  12. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

I'm not sure if I can agree on those being the best race rig, My biggest concern is and has been run time.  Can your electric pull a 45 min main?
  13. blt4speed

blt4speed Registered

45 min mains are expected in nitro, to compare nitro to  electric (duration) is apples to oranges.  i like oranges
  14. yreka rc

yreka rc Registered

Ya.... no e-buggy race i have ever heard of has race a 45 min main, even with a few pit stops, your motor would bout be so hot, i think you would fry everything ..... haha
  15. GPNate

GPNate Registered

Haha 45 min main with an E-Buggy.  Don't think that's gonna happen.

I have a Losi 810e just as bartle and love it.  Super light and fast.  Personally I would not waste my time with Ve8.  You will end up spending money to get it where the others are stock only to get annoyed with little issues like battery placement.  You cant go wrong with an RC8e, lots of parts and its solid with all the good stuff out of the box.  Mugen MBX6e ECO is also worth a look!  Losi is also solid.
  16. means2k

means2k Registered

I personally own an RC8be and I love it.  It has been a very durable platform and it handles great.  There is a lot of setup information available from Team Associated and that goes a long ways in finding basic setups.  Parts are very easy to get which is something you should take into consideration if your thinking about buying an Ofna.  I own an Ofna buggy and it is not always easy to find parts if you need them in a reasonable amount of time.  Definitely avoid the LX series stuff, it's seriously dated and parts will definitely become an issue. 

I think the Losi is definitely a great way to go as well.  Parts availability, durability, setup information, etc.  There is a reason so many people race them.  The Mugen MBX6e eco is (in my opinion) a better and more durable buggy than the Losi and it's cheaper.  The only problem is that parts can be pain to get when you need them.  Anyways, that's my 2 cents. 
  17. dnsducks

dnsducks Registered

thanks guys. these are all great thoughts, and i think, provided some good answers.
    i think the VE8 is pretty much off the list. they say it is a e-focused design, but when i see the issues (pinion/battery placement) it clearly seems like lip service. plus the shocks in the back are the same travel as the front. Really? plastic chassy?? HPI missed it on this one IMO. :-[
    ofna LX2E is so entry level, and the NEXX8 seems like such a "tweener". not crazy about the Nexx8 layout.. see you tube if interested. Squirrel Vids,
    concerned about the Kyosho durability. and that cheesy shocks. to not have Alu. BB shocks at this entry level just ins't fitting in my mind. :-\
  18. dnsducks

dnsducks Registered

Means2k,
    i was able to drive the RC8e last year for a few laps around the track, and it was got me started on this whole kick. 1/8th scale is just a whole other world, and i can see why it has been so popular for so long.  Did enjoy the RC8e but have no idea what version it was. I can't remember the guys name that had it., but he also races a SC10 I believe. rockstar hat and rayban wayfarers..?  8)

I did come across this link for the KYOSHO. even though the price seems right, really i think you get what you pay for in this case. the radio is not as nice as what i had thought, plastic shocks, it sounds like it has a 540 size can, and well, it isn't much different in size compared to a SC truck. What the heck? i am not sure what direction Kyosho was going with this one, but it seem more of a entry level/ bash platform than a serious racer in my mind. Enjoy the read.. and the video. http://www.bigsquidrc.com/kyosho-dbx-ve-2-0-buggy-unboxing/#more-25348
    Dan
  19. yreka rc

yreka rc Registered

I have a used kyosho inferno ve brushless buggy, with associated buggy wheels and tires, and aluminum threaded big bore 16mm shocks, and its for sale, minus receiver....
  20. dnsducks

dnsducks Registered

thanks for the offer but i am going to have to pass. If i was interested in the kyosho, which i am pretty sure i am not after doing a little research, I don't have the scratch to make the purchase right now anyway. but thanks. :)

after checking into it more.. The mugen MBX6e eco whatever.. sounds like it is really nice. the price is more, but still less than a losi according to Amain. I get most of my parts from A-main. We have nothing over here and i don't drive over there enough to get what i need. Anyway as long as A main has it, then that is what concerns me. and right now.. they don't even have the Hyper9e listed as a kit they sell. i sent them an email to find out if they are planning to.